So who will Speedy add to his staff

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: So who will Speedy add to his staff

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Tom was also an assistant at UNLV with Jay under Rollie Massimino.
Yes, with Jay, before Jay got the Hofstra HC job. Jay brought Tom with him from UNLV to HU.

And Jay is another example, and yet look at him today. But before that:
Assistant at Rochester, Drexel, Villanova and UNLV before Hofstra. So, it's typical. The seven prior stops for Davis is maybe a little more than typical, but not that much more.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

As of now the Hofstra website only lists Serge as an assistant coach for the men’s basketball team Does that mean that Speedy can make two more hires
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like Mike DePaoli is joining the staff.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 61153?s=20
Cards

Post by Cards »

ProudofPride wrote:Looks like Mike DePaoli is joining the staff.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 61153?s=20
Prior to arriving at Fordham, DePaoli served for two seasons as a graduate assistant at Hofstra where he was responsible for working with all perimeter players on player development. That included working with current Golden State Warrior, Charles Jenkins, Hofstra’s all-time leading scorer and a two-time Haggerty Award winner, and Chaz Williams, who was named All-Atlantic 10 at Massachusetts last year.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Hofstra ties - former grad assistant. Then Fordham for 11 years (assume he moved with Pecora?)

This is encouraging:
Over the last two years DePaoli has been in charge of the Fordham defense. Last year, the team finished 64th in the country on kenpom index (highest rating since kenpom started in 1997), 39th in the country in over-all defense on synergy sports, and held teams to the lowest PPG average (61.7 ppg) that the Rams recorded in 36 years, ranking first in the Atlantic 10 and tenth in the NCAA.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I had forgotten about Mike as a possible candidate. This is a great hire. He is a another grinder, great with player development, and now has a number of years of true coaching experience to bring to the team.

I still think Tim Cluess would be an excellent addition, if he is able and willing to coach again, even on a limited (home games only?) basis.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Zach Braziller says in his tweet that Speedy is looking to fill the last slot with a former head coach...not too many of them around and fact is Joe M is still with the program...will be interesting to see.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree on another great hire here!! Strong local / NY ties, HU connect, well placed in the recruiting scene, develops talent, focus on D and guard play - major all around win

And I LOVE that there is still 1 big dog hire left to do - add the heavyweight with Serge and Mike and that’s the makings of a fantastic staff that can coach, develop, and recruit.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jojogunne wrote:I had forgotten about Mike as a possible candidate. This is a great hire. He is a another grinder, great with player development, and now has a number of years of true coaching experience to bring to the team.

I still think Tim Cluess would be an excellent addition, if he is able and willing to coach again, even on a limited (home games only?) basis.
Same. You read his (Fordham Bio) and bleeds Hofstra Blue. Great hire. Lives local. Welcome Back Mike.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like Tom Parrotta is the 3rd assistant.

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 85632?s=20
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Thats the one I have been touting Great get He develops big men and was responsible for recruiting Uter Kiaza and Pitizi
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

stuball888 wrote:Thats the one I have been touting Great get He develops big men and was responsible for recruiting Uter Kiaza and Pitizi
As did I. Good hire.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

stuball888 wrote:Thats the one I have been touting Great get He develops big men and was responsible for recruiting Uter Kiaza and Pitizi
who the heck is Pitizi? I’ve followed Hofstra since 2000, and Im drawing a blank on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I think all the ducks are in a row to make a run next year...if Kante stays. There's been no indication that he is transferring, and it's getting pretty late in the process, so I'm optimistic he's staying put. He's a force at the mid level. It would be risky for him to move. Ultimately, that's a decision only he can make.

joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

dutchalum01 wrote:
who the heck is Pitizi? I’ve followed Hofstra since 2000, and Im drawing a blank on this one.

Urbutis? Aka pits

dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Thanks Joe. Got it.

joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Somewhat off topic, but I'm surprised Cassara never got back into coaching. Probably rose too quickly, but could have climbed the ranks somewhere.