So who will Speedy add to his staff

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

So who will Speedy add to his staff

Post by stuball888 »

Ok so now the work begins Let remember that Speedy will probably have budget restraints since Hofstra is on the hook for about 600k for JAM the next three years We will not see Tom Pecora here unless the school is willing to shell out 250k thats not happening Forget Jason Hernandez Norm Richardson they are making too much Money Tom Parratta no because he is now at Columbia So what do I think He raids Adelphi and Brings in David Duke and his brother Mike Claxton
Cards

Re: So who will Speedy add to his staff

Post by Cards »

Are you sure about the details of JMs contract. May have some type of clause that states if he cannot serve as HC, then .........
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Its guaranteed money I believe unless they renegotiated but its still not going to be cheap to retain JAM Also Hofstra has a history of not overpaying for asst coaches
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hofstra also has a history of giving ridiculous extensions, JM included, and because they have shown time and again they deserve zero confidence and trust to do things that make logical sense, I am betting they've locked themselves into paying an advisor 600k a year.

I am also willing to bet this is a big reason why the hire was hampered and they forced an internal hire. Now perhaps they will shock us all and this move has been setup to put the program in a great position to build out a true champion... but I'll believe that when I see it. The odds are with this group of 'leaders' is the opposite.

The big question on staff is how much HU is willing to pony up. Speedy needs huge help - I don't care how much he loves Hofstra, he has MAJOR question marks in a head coach role. It's quite concerning, because HU needs some real talent on the sidelines to help him. Can't go cheap. Speedy likely has a tremendous network of contacts, so that's a big plus - but his ability to reel any of them in will be based on HU paying a truly competitive salary that is conducive to LI.

And we've yet to see that every from this admin.

Speedy has GOT to have a staff that can land top post talent, and develop them. As great as Speedy is, he isn't recruiting bigs nor is he developing them. Right now we have the guard spot on lockdown - but he knows nothing of the rest, not to mention has likely never called a play, crafted a defensive set, or performed actual in-game coaching - at least not on any significant level. Once or twice throughout the year does not quality.

Because of this hiring, the staff moves are now even bigger than the HC role. Vital time, and I sure as hell hope he doesn't drag his feet like the admin did with him. Time is of the essence - need them in place, need them to be known experts, and need them out recruiting talent asap.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I'm really surprised at the severe lack of faith I'm seeing on this board in Speedy since yesterday as if Speedy picked up absolutely nothing in close to the same amount of time spent as an HU assistant as Pecora did before he became an HU head coach.

Where were the same kinds of questions when Pecora got the job after being an assistant at HU?

Give the guy a chance.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

wags we are just being realistic . Speedy is the face now of the flagship sport for Hofstra but realistically he will need help. The school must give him the tools he needs to succeed . We all want to to do well but if history is any barometer , Speedy might be in for some stormy weather.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:wags we are just being realistic . Speedy is the face now of the flagship sport for Hofstra but realistically he will need help. The school must give him the tools he needs to succeed . We all want to to do well but if history is any barometer , Speedy might be in for some stormy weather.
As with ANY coach who would have been brought in. And again, as with Pecora - but I didn't see the same doubt placed in him before he was given a similar chance to the one that Speedy's getting now. The level of doubt then vs. now is inconsistent.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

I'm putting my faith in Speedy but some doubt is warranted (wasn't around for Pecora days so can't compare). Speedy was effectively the #2 assistant on a solid mid-major program. Not generally the type of guy you see elevated to HC unless it's for a smaller NEC-tier school like LIU or something.

That said I think Speedy is entering a pretty favorable situation. The assistant coaches will sort themselves out. He'll have a junior PG in Burgess who is making strides, a reliable senior C in Kante, some young wings who could take the leap. He's not starting from scratch. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of talent he can bring in. I'd love to see him move fast, both in hiring assistants and getting some recruits in the door.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

wags the difference is that this time there is a 600K weight attached to the budget of the mens basketball team. I have faith in Speedy but with Pecora he had his staff almost all intact with the exception of Bret Gunning. That first year was not easy for Tom Pecora.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The assistant coach job posted on hoop dirt was for like 38,000 a year

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

RollPride15 wrote:I'm putting my faith in Speedy but some doubt is warranted (wasn't around for Pecora days so can't compare). Speedy was effectively the #2 assistant on a solid mid-major program. Not generally the type of guy you see elevated to HC unless it's for a smaller NEC-tier school like LIU or something.

That said I think Speedy is entering a pretty favorable situation. The assistant coaches will sort themselves out. He'll have a junior PG in Burgess who is making strides, a reliable senior C in Kante, some young wings who could take the leap. He's not starting from scratch. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of talent he can bring in. I'd love to see him move fast, both in hiring assistants and getting some recruits in the door.
No inside info, but with Ray at the press conference today I think he is going to come back for another year. Assuming Carlos stays and no one transfers out they would have a very good team going into next year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:wags the difference is that this time there is a 600K weight attached to the budget of the mens basketball team. I have faith in Speedy but with Pecora he had his staff almost all intact with the exception of Bret Gunning. That first year was not easy for Tom Pecora.
I don't sense that the lack of faith is coming from these things. I sense that people don't perceive that Speedy is capable of being a good head coach as much as they believed that in Pecora, regardless of the supporting staff back then and whatever supporting staff Speedy will have -- as if people think Speedy absorbed nothing in all this time under Mihalich and Farrelly vs. what Pecora absorbed under Wright. I think Speedy deserves the chance to show what he learned and how he can apply it, leading as a HC, before we assume he can't without a great supporting staff. We gave Pecora the benefit of the doubt based on his own merits far more than on his supporting staff. I think Speedy deserves the same right now.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wags my problem isnt with Speedy its with the administration. Until they show me they are willing to give our coaches all the tools they need to succeed I will be skeptical. So my question to you Wags is who will Speedy add to his staff?
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Wags my problem isnt with Speedy its with the administration. Until they show me they are willing to give our coaches all the tools they need to succeed I will be skeptical. So my question to you Wags is who will Speedy add to his staff?
I hear ya. Don't know (we'll see), but I still think it comes down to recruiting more than anything. And I think the potential for that is good with Speedy as the HC. As I said, I think it's even more likely than before that they continue the pipeline of top CAA guards as the top 1-2 players on the roster, but can Speedy and whomever the staff is recruit the difference-making complementary pieces. If the staff (whoever it'll be) can do that, the program will have success.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Aside from the assistant coach will HU retain Curtin and Cobian both seemed diligent and familiar with the program. There seemed to be good rapport during the CC& C chronicles with Speedy.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:I'm really surprised at the severe lack of faith I'm seeing on this board in Speedy since yesterday as if Speedy picked up absolutely nothing in close to the same amount of time spent as an HU assistant as Pecora did before he became an HU head coach.

Where were the same kinds of questions when Pecora got the job after being an assistant at HU?

Give the guy a chance.
Not for nothing, the school, whether it's the AD or from powers above him, have already undercut Speedy. I think people should be more critical, for Speedy's sake, if we want this program to win games.

Luckily for Cole, Speedy is a Hofstra ICON, otherwise people would be calling for his head. What kind of joke school declares they are performing a national search for HC, then fires the interim HC for a lower assistant on the staff, it's embarrassing. What would make anyone think the school is going to allow Speedy to get who he wants on the bench.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Wags wrote:I'm really surprised at the severe lack of faith I'm seeing on this board in Speedy since yesterday as if Speedy picked up absolutely nothing in close to the same amount of time spent as an HU assistant as Pecora did before he became an HU head coach.

Give the guy a chance.
Not for nothing, the school, whether it's the AD or from powers above him, have already undercut Speedy. I think people should be more critical, for Speedy's sake, if we want this program to win games.

Luckily for Cole, Speedy is a Hofstra ICON, otherwise people would be calling for his head. What kind of joke school declares they are performing a national search for HC, then fires the interim HC for a lower assistant on the staff, it's embarrassing. What would make anyone think the school is going to allow Speedy to get who he wants on the bench.
Cole said they did conduct an "extensive search" and that after doing so, Speedy was simply the "right fit at the right time." Can take that for whatever it's worth, but that is what Cole said today.

Speedy has heard from Wright and Pecora, but he said what really shocked him was hearing from Larry Brown. Speedy thought he butt-dialed him by accident. :) But he was very happy to hear from him.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

A lot of cynicism for a favorite son getting his dream job.

Not like he just fell off the turnip truck. Played point guard in the NBA for 2 legendary coaches. Suffice to say, he knows how to manage a game. By all accounts, he can recruit and develop talent. Can he be the big dog, where the buck stops? That is the question. Otherwise, I think he checks all the boxes. Now it's "just win baby" time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:

Give the guy a chance.

Preach my dude. This was a dog and pony show.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Hofstra also has a history of giving ridiculous extensions, JM included, and because they have shown time and again they deserve zero confidence and trust to do things that make logical sense, I am betting they've locked themselves into paying an advisor 600k a year.

I am also willing to bet this is a big reason why the hire was hampered and they forced an internal hire. Now perhaps they will shock us all and this move has been setup to put the program in a great position to build out a true champion... but I'll believe that when I see it. The odds are with this group of 'leaders' is the opposite.

The big question on staff is how much HU is willing to pony up. Speedy needs huge help - I don't care how much he loves Hofstra, he has MAJOR question marks in a head coach role. It's quite concerning, because HU needs some real talent on the sidelines to help him. Can't go cheap. Speedy likely has a tremendous network of contacts, so that's a big plus - but his ability to reel any of them in will be based on HU paying a truly competitive salary that is conducive to LI.

And we've yet to see that every from this admin.

Speedy has GOT to have a staff that can land top post talent, and develop them. As great as Speedy is, he isn't recruiting bigs nor is he developing them. Right now we have the guard spot on lockdown - but he knows nothing of the rest, not to mention has likely never called a play, crafted a defensive set, or performed actual in-game coaching - at least not on any significant level. Once or twice throughout the year does not quality.

Because of this hiring, the staff moves are now even bigger than the HC role. Vital time, and I sure as hell hope he doesn't drag his feet like the admin did with him. Time is of the essence - need them in place, need them to be known experts, and need them out recruiting talent asap.
What Speedy said today should make you feel better:

“I want to have vets around me, guys that have been in the business for a number of years. They always say, ‘Surround yourself with greatness and guys who know more than you,’ so that’s what I’m going to try to do… [get] guys [who] can make the job easier for me.”