So who will Speedy add to his staff

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: So who will Speedy add to his staff

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Sometimes its fun doing our own sleuthing, maybe they're testing our resourcefullness!!!!!
Which I do enjoy and find it fun!
Polito

Post by Polito »

By JUNE?! lol bite your tongue Stu, that would be ridiculous - this needs to be set and announced by the end of April. And I think it just may be.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:As long as they have the staff in place by June and get that other big man we should be ok
IF and it’s a big IF Kante comes back.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

daHUPride wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Sometimes its fun doing our own sleuthing, maybe they're testing our resourcefullness!!!!!
Which I do enjoy and find it fun!

Totally agree daHUPride
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:As long as they have the staff in place by June and get that other big man we should be ok
IF and it’s a big IF Kante comes back.
What r u basing this on HUSID80?? Have you heard something that we aren't privy to??
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Former Marist assistant Serge Clement has been hired as an assistant coach. Also worked for St. Peter’s and our nextdoor neighbor in Adelphi.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, first, I am ecstatic to see staff movement and the first assistant coach officially in the boat! Excited for the fill out to come...

Second, although I don't consider this a splash hire by any means, as one of the staff I have to really like what I see - this is clearly a guy who is on the come up, and has a nice balance of being an upriser with some solid proof to his pudding. He's done very good recruiting and player development work at even smaller mid major programs, which means he can excel even further here. Like that he brings additional tri-state firepower, he's got AAU experience and connects (which is vital), and some local LI flavor to boot. Really good add here, and welcome aboard to him!

Third, I fully expect a bigger hire in the other position, and they better not disappoint after taking this long lol. This staff needs a relative 'name' with heavy clout, a former HC, or a guy with a big rep / street cred - I very much like Clement as a compliment, but in no way do I consider this the lead assistant. And I'm hopeful that is the case from Speedy's view as well. He will be a tremendous asset, provided we land a big timer to fill out the staff and beef up Speedy's coaching.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Welcome to Hofstra, Coach Clement!

I had never heard of him before, but that's my ignorance. I trust Speedy's judgment completely. I like that Coach Clement is a "grinder" and is moving up, rather than down, to the CAA. No disrespect to Adelphi, St. Peter's and Marist, but he has probably seen players he would have liked to recruit before, but they went on to play in more competitive leagues. Now he can sell them on the CAA.

So far I like the two transfers, especially Cook, who I think will start. Getting a big man to replace Schutte will be the challenge.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Per Hoop Dirt, Rasheen Davis is in the mix for an assistant spot.

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-22-21/
Last edited by ProudofPride on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Welcome to Hofstra, Coach Clement!

I had never heard of him before, but that's my ignorance. I trust Speedy's judgment completely. I like that Coach Clement is a "grinder" and is moving up, rather than down, to the CAA. No disrespect to Adelphi, St. Peter's and Marist, but he has probably seen players he would have liked to recruit before, but they went on to play in more competitive leagues. Now he can sell them on the CAA.

So far I like the two transfers, especially Cook, who I think will start. Getting a big man to replace Schutte will be the challenge.
It's like Polito has already said Cooks didn't come here to sit on the bench and with his pedigree somebody is going to be losing minutes. He starts here all day long and the chips will fall where they have to. This won't be a Cowart vs. Burgess scenario although Burgess has earned the right to substantial minutes and has proved he is an assists machine just need more scoring from him!! It will be INTERESTING!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Welcome to Hofstra, Coach Clement!

It's like Polito has already said Cooks didn't come here to sit on the bench and with his pedigree somebody is going to be losing minutes. He starts here all day long and the chips will fall where they have to. This won't be a Cowart vs. Burgess scenario although Burgess has earned the right to substantial minutes and has proved he is an assists machine just need more scoring from him!! It will be INTERESTING!!
Interesting for sure TC. Cooks did not have high assist numbers, but thats likely simply because of his role - which was to score. Lots of ways this could play out with Cooks, Burgess, and Carlos. JC will be a true freshman, but can't hold that against him (regarding playing time), the kid is very talented.

Also read something on the UMASS site, where Rasheen Davis was an assistant - it said he was a key part of coaching the defense when he was an assistant at VCU (just prior to going to UMASS. He also spent several years at Manhattan. He has been to NCAAT a bunch of times from a number of schools - sounds like a winner! Maybe he's our guy?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Why did Hurley fire Davis at ASU? I could not find the reason.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh HECK YES, this is a 2nd hire I can get behind - great fit, and I believe this is a level and situation he can flat out excel at. He has top experience at all levels, was the associate HC w/Manhattan snagging NCAAT bids, has helped numerous programs dance, numerous players to conf and national honors, he's a superb recruiter, excellent wing/guard developer, and coaches DEFENSE - he helped to install VCU's 2-2-1, and he has been tutored by some of the best in the business, including Pitino, Wade, Mack, Masiello, Dixon, Hurley, etc. And as a BX native, I think he's ready to come on home to NY. Perfect setup for both sides.

He didn't last long at ASU, under a year, but he's the 3rd assistant like that there - bit of a whacky environment over there recently - apparently he was the lead recruiter for a top 50 4 star from Roselle Catholic that ended up choosing Rutgers instead, and this perhaps did not sit well. I get it, high P5 life, but I think ASU was a bit overestimating their status with a NJ kid and going up against Pikiell. This will be HU's major gain. This guy can flat out recruit and develop with the best of them, has proven such for years, at great programs, has won almost everywhere he's been, and is very connected and respected, especially in the NY scene. Has Rice and the NY Gauchos under his belt as well, so he brings the full spectrum of HS, AAU, mid-major, and high-major pedigree.

That trio will recruit lights out here.

Now can they coach in-game?? All have been developing their coaching side to match their recruiting chops for years - this will be their chance to prove it. That will be a bit of a question until we see it proven in action. But there will be no question that HU will continue to have some of the best talent in the league year in and out. So if they are in fact ready, that combo can be just what the doctor ordered here to level up. Much to prove, but the real potential would be there.

Let's see if this hire happens first, but definitely an exciting option!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Hurley changes assistants like socks...wasn't sure if it was something unseemly. Good that it's not.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Oh HECK YES, this is a 2nd hire I can get behind - great fit, and I believe this is a level and situation he can flat out excel at. He has top experience at all levels, was the associate HC w/Manhattan snagging NCAAT bids, has helped numerous programs dance, numerous players to conf and national honors, he's a superb recruiter, excellent wing/guard developer, and coaches DEFENSE - he helped to install VCU's 2-2-1, and he has been tutored by some of the best in the business, including Pitino, Wade, Mack, Masiello, Dixon, Hurley, etc. And as a BX native, I think he's ready to come on home to NY. Perfect setup for both sides.

He didn't last long at ASU, under a year, but he's the 3rd assistant like that there - bit of a whacky environment over there recently - apparently he was the lead recruiter for a top 50 4 star from Roselle Catholic that ended up choosing Rutgers instead, and this perhaps did not sit well. I get it, high P5 life, but I think ASU was a bit overestimating their status with a NJ kid and going up against Pikiell. This will be HU's major gain. This guy can flat out recruit and develop with the best of them, has proven such for years, at great programs, has won almost everywhere he's been, and is very connected and respected, especially in the NY scene. Has Rice and the NY Gauchos under his belt as well, so he brings the full spectrum of HS, AAU, mid-major, and high-major pedigree.

That trio will recruit lights out he

Now can they coach in-game?? All have been developing their coaching side to match their recruiting chops for years - this will be their chance to prove it. That will be a bit of a question until we see it proven in action. But there will be no question that HU will continue to have some of the best talent in the league year in and out. So if they are in fact ready, that combo can be just what the doctor ordered here to level up. Much to prove, but the real potential would be there.

Let's see if this hire happens first, but definitely an exciting option!
Great insight Polio - thanks

Exciting - even though these are not names personally known to me - I love the resumes and what I am reading here.

Love they are all NY connected - although under JAM we have made some nice inroads to Mid Atlantic and South and I think some really decent recruits from those areas too - BUT if I had one choice give me a the tough motivated NY kids - any day of the week (Speedy/Stokes/Augdio/Jenkins/JFW/Buie)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I am concerned about all the changes Davis has made in his career. I know the life of college coaches, especially assistants, can be nomadic, but I trust Speedy's judgment.

Davis is credited with bringing Rich Williams and Jermaine Lawrence to Manhattan. I remember when we were recruiting both of them.

As these articles show, Davis has faced his share of adversity in life. No wonder he is a "grinder":

https://nypost.com/2014/01/18/brain-sur ... g-ace/amp/

https://mcquad.org/2015/01/19/from-a-br ... urney/amp/

Davis also is very close to the NY Gauchos and other top AAU programs -- a big plus:

https://www.newyorkgauchos.org/2020/06/ ... -coaching/
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think this is a fair concern Jojo, and a fair counter to the positives. I would agree that in this sport, it's the nature of the game - most coaches need to have multiple stops in their resume for marketability, and to have multiple HC's to link their name to. That's def part of it. But we also have to look at the other part which is there were changes for a reason. Some I'm sure make sense with no issue, but no one's perfect, and there may be a blip or two in there as well.

This may be in part related to what I questioned, is he ready to go from being a stud recruiter to being a stud coach. There is a difference of course. Some of his changes may be related to him being a pure recruiter at those times when a coach was needed who had more depth. My hope here is that he's been working on that craft, much like Speedy, and is ready to take the reign of being a complete coach. ASU I have zero concern with, that situation has been odd overall there, so he's just the latest casualty.

Like you, if Speedy wants him (and I'm sure Joe is helping to vet) then so do I. Because frankly Speedy is exactly the same - if we're trusting him and his growth, then Davis can be given that opp too. And the recruiting prowess is hard to pass at this level - would be almost foolish to let slip by.

And to boost our confidence, here's some real positive praise for the Clement hire - these 3 together could be something special:

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/ ... 7093219329
https://twitter.com/DalyDoseOfHoops/sta ... 3918451715
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 8435144707
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pecora before he became a Hofstra assistant:

Long Island Lutheran asst.
Nassau CC asst.
SUNY-Farmingdale HC
Loyola Marymount asst.

Granted, it's not the seven stops Davis had before Hofstra, but it's still three college stops at a lot lower level than the level Davis was at with his stops (Arizona State, Manhattan, UMass, VCU, Xavier, Louisville, Pittsburgh). As mentioned, it's just the nature of the business for many assistants, so I wouldn't worry too much about it with Davis. Not everyone is Joe Mihalich (high school assistant to college assistant at the same school for 17 years before becoming a head coach) - that's rare.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Tom was also an assistant at UNLV with Jay under Rollie Massimino.