Game#14 vs Towson

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: Game#14 vs Towson

Post by Pride97 »

Was that Bethea on the line when they announced the starting lineups? Only saw the persons back so not sure.

Looks like green is out today again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Anyone have any insight to our walking wounded? Will we EVER see Bethea? Who will dress and play? We should start a pool!
Why is this all a secret? When Green wasn't available not even a whisper at to what happened to him. I even posed these questions to Mike Neely and it still wasn't addressed and yeah what about Bethea everyone gets a pass this year in terms of their 4 years of eligibility. Maybe it's a very personal family thing but I think they could state as such.
Privacy laws and regulations are complex and only becoming more so.

Hofstra is subject to both HIPAA and FERPA.

I found this statement on Page 35 of Hofstra's Student-Athlete Handbook:

"All matters relating to the physical or emotional condition of any student-athlete will be treated confidentially and revealed only on a 'need-to-know' basis as determined by the Team Physician based on the particular circumstances and consistent with University policy. Information regarding drug test results,psychological or medical referral, or any other health concerns will not be disclosed beyond these individuals unless deemed necessary by the University President, and consistent with privacy laws and regulations."

https://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/sports_ath_ ... 120908.pdf

Then there's also this release from the NCAA that student-athletes may or may not have signed:

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 4-15_1.pdf

I'm sure Hofstra wants to do the right thing and avoid litigation, so the less said about student-athletes' health, the better.

As for Bethea, with all he has been and is going through, I see him redshirting this year.

Thanks for the info. Jojo but the staff has already discussed injuries this season and why would Bethea redshirt. Whether he plays or doesn't play he still comes in as a freshman next year!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I actual wonder whether Bethea plays in this game he's in the building. Hu really not playing very good D lucky Cramer and Trueheart hit 2 3's each 12 points from an unlikely source. Again Masic not giving us much and his D is suspect. Jalen also can't buy a basket and has had some decent looks. We're down 35-32 as Timberlake hits a three right before the half.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Our backcourt of Ray Coburn and Burgess a combined 3 for 16. You are not winning anything that way.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Another decent start and the now all too predictable terrible end to the half as every team seems to figure out HU's zone in a matter of a few minutes... and once again the key Sr starters are consistently inconsistent with Ray 0-6 and no points in the 1st - I mean... :roll: pull your hair out kind of stuff with this group.

On the plus, Cramer must've gotten a fire under him 'hearing' he needs to stop shooting 3's as he's hit a couple already this game! lol :) my opinion remains because I know this is an anomaly for him right now, but hey, go get it young fella, you're developing and this group needs you big time!

Also seems like they are running a few interesting sets and plays, getting good open looks - but we know the story with the lack of results from those looks. Frustrating for them to be down at the half here as they have had more than enough opps to be up comfortably, but at least only by 3.

Anticipated a tough series here as Towson brings size and physicality, with some nice talent in Martin, and HU continuing to be average. But we'll see who wants it more in the 2nd - very winnable game here, need some leaders to take control - let's go Ray, TC, and Kante, bounce back time!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

What a run for Ray and Hofstra there.
Last edited by Hofstra on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Only up 16. Might not be a large enough lead to hold on for the win. Would have liked to be up at least a towson at this point.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Not liking where this game is headed. 7-0 run for Towson
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep... no lead is ever safe with this group. So Jekyll & Hyde, so frustrating. But had a nice run to turn things around, and now need to navigate Towson's answer.

Great to see Ray come to play in the 2nd, much needed. Let's see how this closes out...
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Nice bounce back game! Ray took it over in the second.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Good win. Happy to finally see one of those. Hope to expand on this tomorrow
Polito

Post by Polito »

Burgess with a monster 3 to really help seal this one - end of the first was awful, but kudos to the group for answering the call in the 2nd and really turning it around... and even better keeping Towson at bay, something they have struggled to do.

Better teams will not go down like that, as we've already seen, but for today it was enough - happy with the W, happy with any and every W really lol, but this was a needed home comeback win - and the best part was not allowing Towson to overcome their lead and keep a good lead. A much needed ability they need to keep strengthening.

Shoutout to Cramer, really strong game from this budding star!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We took care of business and finally hit some threes albeit from people who don't make them. We got a little sloppy down the stretch but Towson is not a team that can come back from far down.

Lets play smart tomorrow, get the sweep and get back in the race.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Nice bounce back in the second half. Shots started to drop. We won the turnover battle and also we beat them off the boards.That was one worry I had coming into this game. This team still has plenty of warts and we have to stop the scoring droughts if we want to win this conference.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Towson won the opening tip, and according to the play-by-play they were given the ball to start the second half. The team that loses the opening tip gets the possession arrow, and there weren't any heldballs in the first half, so we should have started the second half with the ball. I'm going to tell the CAA.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Farrelly getting spicy in the post-game! lol :lol: gotta love this guy! Mike, you got your guys backs man, and that's exactly how it should be, expect nothing less from ya!

That said, a couple of made 3's for Cramer in one game isn't exactly a 'told you so' moment just yet - consistency in live games is what matters, not just practice, so let's see what happens going forward before we act like this is automatic :D That is a part of his game that is still developing, and that's ok and expected for him and all freshmen. But yes, it was great to see and was a big help to get this particular W!

Lot's of love for Cramer from all as far as I can tell, including the announcers, kid is future super star, and is already producing impact, as hoped. This team could absolutely use some help from 3, so if this is the start of his ability there, then I'd say every HU fan on earth will be rejoicing! I'll stay a bit reserved though until the consistency is proven...

Anyhoo, go get that sweep!! Towson isn't the top of the league, but hey, this could hopefully be a turning point going forward
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Yeah Coach Farrelly definitely came in with chip on his shoulder about Cramer’s shooting. Agree that this may be too soon for that, but gotta like his emotion and having his player’s back.

Listen we all want him to hit threes! Just hard to watch him launch away in big moments when he was 1-17. I certainly hope coach is right.

One thing I will say is that when they went up 14 they worked the clock more today instead of taking the first shot they saw. Unfortunately that resulted in a few shot clock violations, but certainly took time away not allowing Towson to bunch up quick points. Hopefully they will continue to do that when they open up leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Shots started to drop. We won the turnover battle and also we beat them off the boards.
We had 2 fewer turnovers and 7 more points off turnovers. We had only 9 turnovers that led to 9 points. We had 9 more rebounds. Kante had 12, and Towson's high was 6 by Victor Uyaelunmo and Demetrius Mims. Mims entered averaging exactly 2 rebounds and had 6. Zane Martin entered averaging exactly 5 rebounds and had 1. Ray had no points in the first half and no assists in the second half. He tied Cramer for our lead with 16, but he didn't shoot well. Cramer missed a three to make him 1-19 and then made 4 to be 4-5 today and 5-23 (.217) for the season, which is higher than Green (.200) and Masic (.143). Cramer did not attempt a free throw and had 5 rebounds. Coburn scored 12 by making 2 of each shot. He made 2 of 2 free throws, 2 of 4 twos, and 2 of 8 threes. He had 9 rebounds to raise his average from 3.8 to 4.1, and he had our only block. Kante tied Coburn with 12 points, but Kante shot field goals 5-12 and free throws 2-2. After ten games, he shot 50-87 (.575). In the last four games including today, he shot 17-40 (.425). Burgess had 7 points and 9 assists. The bench played only 27 minutes. Trueheart made two threes and two free throws without a miss to score 8 in 8 minutes. Schutte had no field goal attempts, missed the first of a one-and-one, 2 rebounds, and 1 steal in 7 minutes. Masic shot 0-2 with 1 rebound and 1 steal in 12 minutes.

Zane Martin led all players with 17 points, but he shot 7-17 including threes 0-4. He had 4 assists, and nobody else on Towson had more than 1. Jason Gibson shot 5-8, scored 12 to be second on Towson, and made 2 of their 4 threes. His other statistics were bad as he had no rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 fouls, and led all players with 4 turnovers. Nicolas Timberlake made two threes and was Towson's third and final double-digit scorer with 10. Charles Thompson scored 9 with only 1 miss and had 3 blocks and 1 steal. Solomon Uyaelunmo scored 6, and Demetrius Mims scored 4. Towson used ten players, and their four who did not score were Cam Allen (0-1 in 9 minutes which is very low for a starter), Victor Uyaelunmo (0-3 in 21 minutes), Jakigh Dottin (0-2 in 10 minutes), and Chris Biekeu (0-1 in 5 minutes).

We shot threes exactly .440, which is better than twos at .412. Players other than Ray and Coburn made 7 of 11 threes. Towson had at least the first 7 second chance points, but we caught up and each team had 12. Towson had 25 bench points to our 8 that were all by Trueheart. Towson had 2 more points in the paint and 2 more fast break points. We had more assists (15 to 11) and more steals (8 to 5).

Here is how our points per game changed:

Ray: 18.3 to 18.1
Coburn: 15.0 to 14.8
Kante: 12.7 to 12.6
Burgess: 8.3 to 8.2
Cramer: 7.2 to 7.8
Silverio: 4.7
Trueheart: 2.0 to 4.0
Green: 2.8
Masic and Schutte: 2.0 to 1.8 (both have 24 points in 13 games)
Cowart: 1.3

Ray passed Mike Moore (1,128), Wandy Williams (1,132), and Nathaniel Lester (1,139) for 29th in career points. He is 26 behind Ted Jackson in 28th. He is 41 behind Rokas Gustys in 27th, so Ray probably won't pass Gustys tomorrow.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Towson won the opening tip, and according to the play-by-play they were given the ball to start the second half. The team that loses the opening tip gets the possession arrow, and there weren't any heldballs in the first half, so we should have started the second half with the ball. I'm going to tell the CAA.
Evan not sure but believe there were heldballs in the half. Just my recollection!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

K'vonn is great but it's going to take me more than one game to buy the shooting lol. 35% from the stripe is an ominous sign for a shooter's form, but I hope this is the start of something good for him. That said, he is already such an impactful player, I'd be thrilled with him even if the shooting never really comes along. The way he can change a game and the energy he brings is outstanding.

Burgess 9 assists to 3 TOs, doing his thing, kind of a classic Burgess game.

Trueheart giving us some good minutes? I know people are skeptical of him, for valid reasons, but fact is he is like 23 and it would not shock me in an abbreviated season to see that experience show a bit, especially when we are desperate for any kind of wing shooting.

And finally for Ray and Coburn, 9-26 just isn't usually going to cut it. They're both streaky and I expect them both to hit their stride, and suddenly this offense will look a lot smoother when shots start dropping.