Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Game#14 vs Towson

Post by stuball888 »

Boy its only 3days before our next game and no chatter
EvanJ

Re: Game#14 vs Towson

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/1/21/me ... owson.aspx is our preview.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game14.pdf is our Game Notes. Of the snubbed 2005-2006 team, Agudio and Stokes are not current pros, but Kieza, Rivera, and Uter are. Jenkins is playing for Olympiacos in Greece, who is tenth of eighteen in the EuroLeague through 20 of 34 games and behind the eighth and final playoff spot on a tiebreaker. Each continent has a champions league for soccer, and there are champions league for other sports. In his last EuroLeague game, Jenkins played 16:59 with 2 points, twos 1-1, threes 0-1, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and no turnovers, fouls committed, or fouls drawn.

Ray is 32nd in career points. He's 1 behind Mike Moore, 5 behind Wandy Williams, and 12 behind Nathaniel Lester, so Ray should be 29th after Saturday. On Sunday he should pass Ted Jackson, who has 32 more than Ray. The next week at UNCW he should pass three players who were teammates in Bernardi, Green, and Gustys. Passing them would move Ray up to 25th. Ray is 59 behind Bernardi and Green, who are tied with 2 more that Gustys. Ray is on pace to Adeleke, Buie, and Rivera to finish sixth among Hofstra players in the CAA. He would have fewer points than Apodaca, who spend two seasons in the CAA. Finishing sixth on our points in the CAA list behind Jenkins, JWF, Agudio, Stokes, and Pemberton would be a big accomplishment.

Towson has not written a preview yet.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Boy its only 3days before our next game and no chatter
Not sure I am looking forward to games right now with the same fervor, the defense is lost and in response they are forcing so much on the offensive side

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
Not sure I am looking forward to games right now with the same fervor, the defense is lost and in response they are forcing so much on the offensive side

Yes all that's true but have to stay the course and some of their recent dismal performances can take the wind out of our sails and temper our expectations but this team is a work in progress. The continued improvement of Burgess and the excitement of watching Cramer is worth the watch. Cramer has helped us on the glass if he could only shoot from outside but his game is evolving also. Let's see how we rebound against Towson it should be interesting and maybe Green will be back?
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

All about getting hot at the right time...we all suspected with COVID it was going to be a bumpy road. As long as we see signs of improvement, I can't complain too much at this stage. Would love for the seniors to take over though.
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:

Yes all that's true but have to stay the course and some of their recent dismal performances can take the wind out of our sails and temper our expectations but this team is a work in progress. The continued improvement of Burgess and the excitement of watching Cramer is worth the watch. Cramer has helped us on the glass if he could only shoot from outside but his game is evolving also. Let's see how we rebound against Towson it should be interesting and maybe Green will be back?
Agree its now about watching this evolve and hopefully mesh into a fine tuned unit for the Conference Tournament. I hope Cramer watched the Knicks game last night because if he did RJ Barrett provided the perfect example of how he can help this team win without hoisting 3's.
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

RollPride15 wrote:All about getting hot at the right time...we all suspected with COVID it was going to be a bumpy road. As long as we see signs of improvement, I can't complain too much at this stage. Would love for the seniors to take over though.
Agree about getting hot and sweeping Towson and moving to 5-3 and second in the standings would change everyone's perspective. Go Dutch!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah it's interesting, I think the bunched games a week apart is also messing with me a bit lol - I find myself wanting a game on Tues/Wed rather than waiting so long between, it kind of takes it out of focus each week, and I have to rekindle the fire slightly each Friday :)

Must be wild for the players and staff as well...

This group is definitely still a WIP - frankly I'm not just not sure that these Sr's are the type of players to bring the much needed leadership and 'take over' that we've seen in the past with the JWF's and Buie's and Pemba's - just not sure that's who Ray and Coburn are - I don't mean this as a knock, but more of an assessment I've been stewing over the last several games - the challenge is, a champ team needs that.

Coburn has been very disappointing recently, and this team simply can't afford those two to not play at a high level every game. He's doing other little things to help, can clearly see that effort, but he simply has to be more productive as a key Sr starter. He needs to find his groove and produce it game in and game out.

-> The one thing I will say though to counter my own thought above is I finally saw something huge from Ray in the last UD game: he displayed a true 'will the team to a win' attitude with his play - some may say he's already done that before just because he's scored a bunch, but nah, I haven't seen "it" in that way from him, until that game - he would not be denied - and THAT is what a champ team needs.

The big question for him is, will this be his rise to that level or will the inconsistency continue??? This will be the difference for HU when it matters, one way or another, good or bad.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Anyone have any insight to our walking wounded? Will we EVER see Bethea? Who will dress and play? We ashould start a pool!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:

oh don't get me wrong, i'm glad they haven't had to cancel games and are still playing and healthy (well, COVID-free at least), i will definitely watch the game. it's just frustrating to watch when the defense is this much of a mess and they compensate by hoisting low % 3s.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yup ugly Cactus but hopefully there’s a silver lining in all our recent bad play and inept D. They need a fiery floor general and both Coburn and Ray are lead by example players!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I really meant to say inept O but the D hasn’t been great either perimeter wise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: the D hasn’t been great either perimeter wise!!
We let opponents shoot threes .328. That's better than the Division I average of .339, but for a team picked first in an average conference we can hope to be farther above average.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/1/22 ... fstra.aspx is Towson's preview titled "Towson Men's Basketball Plays First CAA Road Games at Defending League Champion Hofstra." It mistakenly says we are home for the first time since January 3. We hosted Northeastern on January 7.

Gary Neal, who gave us our only bad loss in 2005-2006 when he scored 34 in a 94-91 win hosting us, is now a Graduate Manager. He averaged 9.9 points in 352 NBA games. He was consistent with an average of 9.5 to 10.5 points in his first six seasons. In his seventh and final season, he played two games. The preview mistakenly says he played "nine years in the NBA."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... a_1_23.pdf is Towson's Game Notes.

As usual, Towson is great at rebounding, but they struggle in several areas. They shoot threes .271, which makes them the only CAA team below us, and make only 4.4 per game. They let opponents shoot threes .368. They average 8.6 assists, 3.8 steals, and 14.4 turnovers, which are all the worst in the CAA. They average 4.50 turnovers more than their opponents. https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... M#team.ind has their statistics. They have depth. After eight games, ten players have played over 100 minutes. They have seven players averaging at least 6.1 points, and six players averaging at least 4.0 rebounds. Zane Martin averages 30.3, and Nicolas Timberlake is second with 27.6, so nobody gets overworked. Martin leads them with 16.6 points, is fourth with 5.0 rebounds, and is their points guard with 3.3 assists. However, he shoots threes .206, and his assist-to-turnover ratio of 23/20 = 1.15 is bad for a point guard. Timberlake averages 11.4 points and leads them shooting threes at .342. He shoots free throws .842, but he shoots twos .383. Charles Thompson is their third leading scorer and top forward. He averages 9.9 points and 5.3 rebounds while shooting .596 without attempting a three. They have two other regulars who haven't attempted a three in brothers Solomon and Victor Uyaelunmo. Solomon averages 6.6 points and 6.1 rebounds. Victor averages 3.5 points and 5.6 rebounds. Solomon shoots much better, and their field goal percentages add to .992. Solomon shoots .706, and Victor shoots .292. Victor shoots free throws .824, so he shoots field goals horribly for a forward and free throws great for a forward. Their other regulars and their scoring averages are Jason Gibson with 8.3, Juwan Gray with 7.2, Demetrius Mims with 6.1, Jakigh Dottin with 2.9, and Cam Allen with 2.5. Allen is second in assists, but with only 1.4. Dottin led them in assists last season, but his minutes are down, and he has only 6 in 8 games. They don't have anyone averaging at least 1 steal. Victor Uyaelunmo has 7 blocks, Thompson has 6, and nobody else has more than 1. Juwan Gray missed the last three games, and I don't know when he will come back. He's one of seven transfers they have. With two seasons at San Diego and two seasons in the CAA, he's doing what Northeastern's Vasa Pusica did.
maske

Post by maske »

Hello people, I support this forum and I am impressed by the mature comments, so I decided to join the forum.
First of all, I would ask your forgiveness if you do not fully understand me because I work through a Google translator, because English is not my mother tongue.
I'm from faraway Serbia, and of course I'm a big fan of basketball.
I follow all HOFSTRA matches via flohops tv and I am slowly getting acquainted with the challenges of the matches.
As you know, there is a guy from Serbia in the team with your guys when I follow him, I guess you have a clear reason.
HE IS MY SON. I am very proud of him, and I believe he will become a good player.
The boys are not in good shape yet, but let's hope they play better. I can't wait for today's game and I hope to win, of course.
So far, so much, and I apologize once again if the google translator translates badly. Greetings from distant Serbia and
Belgrade
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're 6 point favorites per Newsday almost hate to print that because it sometimes seems like the kiss of death. They better not let Zane Martin get comfortable he could go off for 30 pts. I remember him outscoring JWF in one of our games against them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Anyone have any insight to our walking wounded? Will we EVER see Bethea? Who will dress and play? We ashould start a pool!
Why is this all a secret? When Green wasn't available not even a whisper at to what happened to him. I even posed these questions to Mike Neely and it still wasn't addressed and yeah what about Bethea everyone gets a pass this year in terms of their 4 years of eligibility. Maybe it's a very personal family thing but I think they could state as such.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: We're 6 point favorites per Newsday almost hate to print that because it sometimes seems like the kiss of death. They better not let Zane Martin get comfortable he could go off for 30 pts. I remember him outscoring JWF in one of our games against them.
He had 36 points, which was and still is his career-high, at us on February 24, 2018. JWF scored 27, and we won 91-86. Martin made 7 threes, which also was and still is his career-high, and he's made 7 threes in 212 minutes this season. He had 6 rebounds and 6 assists. In both of his complete seasons in the CAA, his season-high was against us. As a freshman, he averaged 5.5 points. He scored 23 at us, and his next highest was 17. He's scored 59 points in two games at us, and 26 points in two games hosting us. From 2010-2011 to now, five players have scored at least 36 at us, and we won the first four and blew a lead and lost in overtime on JWF's Senior Day when Matt Lewis scored 40. Nathan Knight, Cal State Fullerton's Kyle Allman, and JMU's Stuckey Mosley are the other players to score at least 36 at us during that time. Including all games, ten players have scored at least 36 against us from 2010-2011 to now, and we're 7-3 when allowing that.

Here are today's statistics links:

James Madison at Northeastern at 12:00 P.M. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=319165

Drexel at William & Mary at 1:00 P.M.: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=320108

Delaware at UNCW at 1:00 P.M.: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=319120

Us at 2:00 P.M. http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=318620
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Anyone have any insight to our walking wounded? Will we EVER see Bethea? Who will dress and play? We should start a pool!
Why is this all a secret? When Green wasn't available not even a whisper at to what happened to him. I even posed these questions to Mike Neely and it still wasn't addressed and yeah what about Bethea everyone gets a pass this year in terms of their 4 years of eligibility. Maybe it's a very personal family thing but I think they could state as such.
Privacy laws and regulations are complex and only becoming more so.

Hofstra is subject to both HIPAA and FERPA.

I found this statement on Page 35 of Hofstra's Student-Athlete Handbook:

"All matters relating to the physical or emotional condition of any student-athlete will be treated confidentially and revealed only on a 'need-to-know' basis as determined by the Team Physician based on the particular circumstances and consistent with University policy. Information regarding drug test results,psychological or medical referral, or any other health concerns will not be disclosed beyond these individuals unless deemed necessary by the University President, and consistent with privacy laws and regulations."

https://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/sports_ath_ ... 120908.pdf

Then there's also this release from the NCAA that student-athletes may or may not have signed:

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 4-15_1.pdf

I'm sure Hofstra wants to do the right thing and avoid litigation, so the less said about student-athletes' health, the better.

As for Bethea, with all he has been and is going through, I see him redshirting this year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:We're 6 point favorites per Newsday almost hate to print that because it sometimes seems like the kiss of death. They better not let Zane Martin get comfortable he could go off for 30 pts. I remember him outscoring JWF in one of our games against them.
We have not covered the spread in our last five games...last year you would have made alot of money on Hofstra as we covered jusr about EVERY game!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2021 ... owson.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Towson." In an article on Flo, he wrote that scoring and three-point shooting are worse in the CAA this season than in the past three, and that it could have been caused by teams not being able to practice and get to know each other in the spring and summer. The possessions per game is down a negligible 0.2, so it's not fewer possessions causing fewer points. What Jerry did not write about is the turnover rate, which has gone up. This season CAA teams are averaging 13.1 turnovers. Last season the CAA averaged 12.3, and Towson was the only team to average at least 13.

Edit: At 1:46 P.M. the starters have not been posted. We know who to expect us to start, and we won't find out if other guys play until they come in or don't. All ten of Towson's regulars have at least one start. Zane Martin missed one game and started the other seven Nicolas Timberlake started all eight, and nobody else started at least six of eight.