Lackluster OOC

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Lackluster OOC

Post by Hofstra »

Now that the real portion of our Out of Conference schedule is over, I have to say that it was completely lackluster. The Princeton win was a nice one, as was Iona, but we faltered after that. Should have beat Mason, St. Marys blew us out of the gym, UMass destroyed us in the second half as well. Just didnt show much.

While Jaquan Carlos is a great ball player, I am unsure he is deserving of the minutes he plays. He brings absolutely nothing on the offensive end. He cant score at all. I know we have others to do that, but its almost as if the opponents know he isnt a threat.

I hope NBY and WW get a lot tougher. They need to be more of an inside presence.

I want to see more Plontikov as well.

Estrada is a beast. I love watching him play. Hopefully his FT% gets better as the season progresses.

I dont know much, just my 2 cents after watching a good portion of their OOC.

Go Hofstra
triplec2195

Re: Lackluster OOC

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:Now that the real portion of our Out of Conference schedule is over, I have to say that it was completely lackluster. The Princeton win was a nice one, as was Iona, but we faltered after that. Should have beat Mason, St. Marys blew us out of the gym, UMass destroyed us in the second half as well. Just didnt show much.

While Jaquan Carlos is a great ball player, I am unsure he is deserving of the minutes he plays. He brings absolutely nothing on the offensive end. He cant score at all. I know we have others to do that, but its almost as if the opponents know he isnt a threat.

I hope NBY and WW get a lot tougher. They need to be more of an inside presence.

Estrada is a beast. I love watching him play. Hopefully his FT% gets better as the season progresses.

Go Hofstra
This post is an imperative one and mediocrity seems to be the operative word here. Hofstra I really can't agree in any way that JC is a great player. As you say he doesn't score but is capable as a scorer and seems to have a decent handle. Last night he was credited with 5 assists but he does have some decent scorers to help with those assists. He's a better offensive player then he's a defensive player. He was getting beat all night off the ball with the opposing guards so much quicker then him. This caused a lot of problems for us having to compensate especially in the post his inability to guard. We're better off with Marshall IMO but that leaves Estrada as the default PG. Marshall has size can get off the ground and just plays better D.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Hofstra wrote:Now that the real portion of our Out of Conference schedule is over, I have to say that it was completely lackluster. The Princeton win was a nice one, as was Iona, but we faltered after that. Should have beat Mason, St. Marys blew us out of the gym, UMass destroyed us in the second half as well. Just didnt show much.

Go Hofstra
Your 2 cents is worth more then you give yourself credit for -

We started off "nice" against Princeton and Iona - and came up short vs George Mason and flat vs UMass and USF - we had no shot vs St Marys nor Purdue.

I have come to realize - as I have gotten older (not wiser) - that it is conference play that you play for - a healthy full roster in conference play is what you hope for.

To date - Estrada, Dubar (little off this year) and Marshall have been our best performer.
Taylor, Williams and NBY - have been OK - but need more from these added transfers - and I hope they have become acclimated into Speedy's system as we go into 2023.
Carlos - is tough for me - I see somethings that I like but expected him to be more of an asset - that would be able to create favorable mismatch - I think his biggest problem is he cant finish around the hoop and doesnt require help of another defender (like Juanya Green did) and able to dump off to an unguarded big.
Plotnikov - does some really good things and see him improving and getting more minutes through the year
Washington, Tomasco and Barrouk - do not see much P/T this year

We are going to have a tough time on the road vs Towson and CofC - but expect us at home to be able to beat all of CAA foes -

Happy Holidays to All - and Healthy New Year to Everyone, Especially to This Team
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Right now we are a flawed team...our rebounding is atrocious and I'm not sure we can fix that unless we get much better play out of Williams who has been a big disappointment so far.
Carlos at the point brings nothing but what can we do...everyone wants Estrada to play the point but we all saw what happened last night when he turned the ball over twice in crunch time, no one else can play the position.
I want to think we will be fine in CAA play but there are too many issues with this team right now...and how about we try and change things up once in awhile...we play the same way every night!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yes HUSID. I just posted on the other thread (regarding last night's game) making many of the same points!