MBB Game 3 vs Bucknell - 11/13/2019 7pm

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

MBB Game 3 vs Bucknell - 11/13/2019 7pm

Post by Cards »

Expect a good game and tough competition. Bucknell has had very good teams over the past three years (easily exceeding 20 Ws per season). They play Vermont on 11/10 which will be a good test for them - as Vermont has a solid program, as well.

Glancing at thier roster and stats, it appears we will be challenged again upfront as HU will be giving up some height. A common theme for this season, so we had better learn to compensate and handle it accordingly.

Go Pride!
Wags

Re: MBB Game 3 vs Bucknell - 11/13/2019 7pm

Post by Wags »

Tough place to play - good home crowd and environment there. They show some Patriot League games when Bucknell is at home on CBS Sports Network - too bad that won't be the case with this one.

Hofstra has a connection with Bucknell, as our own Jay Wright played there from 1979-83 just before he began to climb the coaching ranks.

Bucknell is 1-1.
They won at Fairfield, 68-64 (Bucknell shot pretty well from 3 - 10/23, but was just 12/32 from 2).
They lost at home to Vermont, 68-63 (both teams were terrible from 3... Vermont: 4/25, Bucknell 3/22; Bucknell was also bad at the line - 14/22).

It seems they mainly have two guys to watch out for, both up front... half of Bucknell's scoring in the two games mentioned above (33.0 ppg of 65.5 ppg) came from a pair of forwards: 6-8 senior Bruce Moore (15.5 ppg) and 6-6 junior John Meeks (17.5 ppg). I think Hofstra's guards can significantly outplay Bucknell's, and then we'll see what Kante and perhaps Coburn and maybe Schutte off the bench can do against Moore and Meeks, especially defensively.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So I’m assuming that Trueheart is still injured the reason he hasn’t played. Also appears pretty evident that Cramer is red-shirting so what also is Hughes status?? I took note of the fact as well that Miranda didn’t even get a minute in the blowout the other day. I wonder why this was??
garyg

Post by garyg »

triplec2195 wrote:So I’m assuming that Trueheart is still injured the reason he hasn’t played. Also appears pretty evident that Cramer is red-shirting so what also is Hughes status?? I took note of the fact as well that Miranda didn’t even get a minute in the blowout the other day. I wonder why this was??
I could be wrong but I think you are allowed to play a certain number of minutes [not a lot] and still qualify to red shirt which may be the case for Miranda...Hughes red shirted last season
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think you have to play in less than 33% of your teams games
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:So I’m assuming that Trueheart is still injured the reason he hasn’t played. Also appears pretty evident that Cramer is red-shirting so what also is Hughes status?? I took note of the fact as well that Miranda didn’t even get a minute in the blowout the other day. I wonder why this was??
I responded to a similar question in the Monmouth thread and I will repeat it here:

In the pride lounge it was asked about Trueheart's status and Farrelly said he is questionable for Wednesday but to most likely expect him to be playing on the CA road trip.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Trueheart has a high ankle sprain, but he's expected back for the California trip. He has a possibility to suit up Wednesday, but probably California trip.

Cramer is likely redshirting according to the coaching staff.

Hughes still needs to show more in practice, the staff didn't seem particularly high on him at this point.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Tough place to play - good home crowd and environment there. They show some Patriot League games when Bucknell is at home on CBS Sports Network - too bad that won't be the case with this one.
They averaged 2,529 last season. That's good by Patriot League standards, but UCLA and maybe San Diego and/or St. Bonaventure will have much larger crowds.
https://watchstadium.com/network/patrio ... e-network/ will stream the game for free.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

As for red shirts if you play in any games and are not injured, you are going to burn the year. If you play a certain percentage of games, I think it's 25, and you get injured, you can apply for a redshirt.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:As for red shirts if you play in any games and are not injured, you are going to burn the year. If you play a certain percentage of games, I think it's 25, and you get injured, you can apply for a redshirt.
So unless Miranda (who played in one game) gets hurt, he cannot redshirt.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
I responded to a similar question in the Monmouth thread and I will repeat it here:

In the pride lounge it was asked about Trueheart's status and Farrelly said he is questionable for Wednesday but to most likely expect him to be playing on the CA road trip.
Thanks for getting me up to snuff been away the last week and missed the first two games. I would imagine that Cramer would have already played if he wasn't redshirting and I'm sure he could help us but maybe Stafford will get back in action and he'll come in hungry to contribute. I just don't like this not playing Hughes. This seems to be a waste of a scholarship. Anybody that was going to see playing time should have been put into that game against Monmouth unless they're nursing injuries.
Maybe somebody can clue me in why we had over 5 minutes of highlights in the loss against San Jose State and only a minute of highlights in the blowout win against Monmouth where we almost scored 100 points. What's up with that??
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: Tough place to play - good home crowd and environment there. They show some Patriot League games when Bucknell is at home on CBS Sports Network - too bad that won't be the case with this one.
They averaged 2,529 last season. That's good by Patriot League standards, but UCLA and maybe San Diego and/or St. Bonaventure will have much larger crowds.
https://watchstadium.com/network/patrio ... e-network/ will stream the game for free.
Was talking more about atmosphere (not crowd size) and crowd involvement, which is usually a good one at Bucknell. I've heard 2,500 sound loud at The Mack and 10,000 or more at other arenas sound quiet.

Thanks for the link!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

For those of you that have seen the first two games can we get an assessment of the play of Schutte. I've only seen a few snippets of him scoring but he looks OK in the backup role. He also looked decent in the scrimmage as well. Has anyone changed their opinion of him.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

He’s been better than I thought, not a bad athlete. Kind of similar to Sabety but not as aggressive, with a little more defensive touch. I think we should have sets with Schutte at the 5 and Kante at 4.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

One think I like about Schutte is his arms are like tree trunks, has a massive wingspan.

A little off topic but I didn't wanna start a new thread for this. Is anyone concerned with what Jordan Roland is doing at NE? 40 points a game so far through 3 games (all against respectable D1 teams) . Jesus.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
A little off topic but I didn't wanna start a new thread for this. Is anyone concerned with what Jordan Roland is doing at NE?
Yeah, his first two games JWF-esque, but UMass stopped him tonight in NU's first loss - 14 pts. Still good bad from 2, but few shots (4/6) and just 1/5 from 3 this time.
Last edited by Wags on Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:For those of you that have seen the first two games can we get an assessment of the play of Schutte. I've only seen a few snippets of him scoring but he looks OK in the backup role. He also looked decent in the scrimmage as well. Has anyone changed their opinion of him.
I like him in the limited sample size so far - he's got very good energy and athleticism. Seems to stay ready and really loves to play. Seems confident and aggressive once he gets the ball in the paint, the very few times he did over the first two games. You can work with that. And he rebounded a bit last game (4 boards in 13 min). Joe actually had good praise for him after last game. With 6 others in double figures, Joe said this about Schutte (though he's not sure about how to pronounce his last name yet lol):

"I'll tell you who didn't get in double figures but who was a big bonus for us, a big plus for us was Kevin... Kevin, uh, we're just gonna call him Kevin. He's gonna be like Elvis. You're only going to need one name for Kevin because nobody can say his last name. But, Kevin really gave us a boost off the bench."
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Here is a direct link to the feed noted above:

https://watchstadium.com/live/hofstra-at-bucknell/
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Here is a direct link to the feed noted above:

https://watchstadium.com/live/hofstra-at-bucknell/
Thanks for the info. cactus.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:For those of you that have seen the first two games can we get an assessment of the play of Schutte. I've only seen a few snippets of him scoring but he looks OK in the backup role. He also looked decent in the scrimmage as well. Has anyone changed their opinion of him.
I like him in the limited sample size so far - he's got very good energy and athleticism. Seems to stay ready and really loves to play. Seems confident and aggressive once he gets the ball in the paint, the very few times he did over the first two games. You can work with that. And he rebounded a bit last game (4 boards in 13 min). Joe actually had good praise for him after last game. With 6 others in double figures, Joe said this about Schutte (though he's not sure about how to pronounce his last name yet lol):

"I'll tell you who didn't get in double figures but who was a big bonus for us, a big plus for us was Kevin... Kevin, uh, we're just gonna call him Kevin. He's gonna be like Elvis. You're only going to need one name for Kevin because nobody can say his last name. But, Kevin really gave us a boost off the bench."
Yeah I agree with what I saw of him and I said in prior posts we might be pleasantly surprised with Schutte but the one down side with him is his erratic FT shooting. We will see how that develops as the season goes on. Thanks for the info. Wags!