Men's Basketball Nonconference Opponents' Results

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Men's Basketball Nonconference Opponents' Results

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ces-top-16 gave Arkansas' JD Notae the Player of the Week as his team won 13 of 14. Notae started with two seasons at Jacksonville in the weak Atlantic Sun, and he's now second in the SEC with 19.1 points (behind Vanderbilt's Scotty Pippen Jr.) and second with 2.2 steals. Jaylin Williams is averaging 14.5 points and 10.9 rebounds during those 14 games.

Edit: The NCAA at https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... after-wild says "Arkansas senior guard J.D. Notae is the National Player of the week for his 30 points and eight assists in the win over Kentucky after scoring 22 in a win over Florida." Murray State, South Dakota State, and North Texas have won at least 14 in a row and are the only teams with more wins in their last 14 games than Arkansas' 13.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Iona came back from down 15 in the second half to take the lead, but Manhattan made the winning shot with 1 second left to win 74-72. Iona fell to 16-3 in the MAAC, and it might get them dropped from ESPN's Bubble Watch. Monmouth won. As worse seeds, Detroit Mercy and Bucknell lost in conference tournaments. Stony Brook won yesterday to finish 17-13 against Division I. Eight of our eleven Division I nonconference opponents are still playing. Princeton is 19-5 against Division I. I didn't know they were that good. They lead the Ivy League in the standings, NET, and RPI. Beating Monmouth looked like a good win, but beating Princeton turned out to be a better win.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We were up by 16 points at the half saw that game at the Mack and it looked like a blowout but Princeton played much better in the second half and out scored us by 12 points and this game became a one possession game at the end if my memory serves me well. Although J Ray was having a bad game I think he hit a big bank three in that game giving us a little breathing room. They definitely looked like a pretty good team in the second half Princeton.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

#1 Iona lost to #9 Rider in the MAAC quarterfinals last night:

https://maacsports.com/news/2022/3/9/ri ... nship.aspx

Here's the winning shot. Looks like a travel to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cina_bp9qo
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Looks like a travel but the refs probably weren't going to call it at that time of the game?? Ugly loss for Pitino and the Gaels to 9 seed Rider.
Wags

Post by Wags »

That "jump stop" and then elevating again used to be a travel until refs stopped calling it years ago and now everyone has been allowed to simply rewrite the rule book ever since. Since that's no longer a travel, the rest of it after that is clean. His right pivot foot stays down (and he does not change pivot feet) until he jumps and releases the shot. He then lifts the right pivot foot and it comes down again, but shot is already released, so no travel is a difficult call on what looks in real-time to be a possible travel, but it was the right no-call.

This loss points out how tough it is for mids to win one-bid leagues and get to the dance. Iona was far and away the class of the MAAC this year: 17-3, three games better than anyone else, 25-7 overall, upset then-No. 10 Alabama. But they are now NIT-bound because of this single, one-point loss in the final seconds.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Tough indeed. Wait until we play in a 14 team league.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

6 seed Richmond won the Atlantic 10 Tournament, and 1 seed Princeton lost the Ivy League Final, with both games decided by 2. We finished 3-2 against NCAA Toournament teams with 2 wins against Delaware, 1 win against Arkansas, a loss at Houston, and a loss at Richmond.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Tough indeed. Wait until we play in a 14 team league.
If they finish high enough in the league (like they usually do), it may not make a difference, depending on how they structure byes. Could be the same amount of games to win in that case, and only more difficult for the teams who finish near the bottom (which is should be anyway, for those teams in a conference that large).
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Wags wrote:That "jump stop" and then elevating again used to be a travel until refs stopped calling it years ago and now everyone has been allowed to simply rewrite the rule book ever since. Since that's no longer a travel, the rest of it after that is clean. His right pivot foot stays down (and he does not change pivot feet) until he jumps and releases the shot. He then lifts the right pivot foot and it comes down again, but shot is already released, so no travel is a difficult call on what looks in real-time to be a possible travel, but it was the right no-call.

This loss points out how tough it is for mids to win one-bid leagues and get to the dance. Iona was far and away the class of the MAAC this year: 17-3, three games better than anyone else, 25-7 overall, upset then-No. 10 Alabama. But they are now NIT-bound because of this single, one-point loss in the final seconds.
Disagree - he moved both feet after the jump stop - then the left again - as blatant a travel as you'll ever see
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
HUSID80 wrote: Tough indeed. Wait until we play in a 14 team league.
If they finish high enough in the league (like they usually do), it may not make a difference, depending on how they structure byes. Could be the same amount of games to win in that case, and only more difficult for the teams who finish near the bottom (which is should be anyway, for those teams in a conference that large).
I would be surprised if the format is not one of these three:

1. 1 through 4 get double byes, 5 through 10 start in Round 2, 11 through 14 start in Round 1
Round 1: 11 vs. 14, 12 vs. 13
Round 2: 5 through 10 and two Round 1 winners
Round 3 (Quarterfinals): 1 through 4 and four Round 2 winners
That is what the Big Ten and SEC do.

2. 1 and 2 get byes, 3 through 14 start in Round 1
Round 1: 3 vs. 14, 4 vs. 13, 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10, and 8 vs. 9
Round 2 (Quarterfinals): 1, 2, and 6 Round 1 winners

3. Only 12 teams invited, 1 through 4 get byes, the format the CAA did when it had 12 teams
Round 1: 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10, and 8 vs. 9
Round 2 (Quarterfinals): 1 through 4 and four Round 1 winners

I do not know if a conference has ever had six games in the same round of a tournament like in my second possibility. When the Big East had 13 teams, it gave three byes and had five games in Round 1. With my first possibility, three teams in the top half would have to win on four consecutive days to win the tournament. With my second possibility, Round 1 would need more than one site or more than one day. I like conferences that have tournaments at one site better than conferences that let better seeds host, but I am okay with having one round hosted by better seeds and having eight or twelve teams go to D.C. My second possibility would make being in the top two important, but 3 would have to play in as many rounds as 14. I do not think that will happen. I would rather have five rounds with byes and double byes than not invite all the teams.