Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by HUSID80 »

As of today the eight would be Estrada, Dubar, lyiola, Carlos, Thomas, Washington, Yindom, and Manyang in my opinion.

Still two scholarships to go although we might hold one back for a late transfer/addition.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:I am curious who you both are considering the players in the eight man rotation? Or are you just saying out of our roster 8 will rise to the top?
Would say Estrada, Dubar, Iyiola, Thomas are locked in as starters. The other 2 transfers are going to play a lot. Right now the 8 would include Carlos and whoever of the group ends up the backup center.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:I am curious who you both are considering the players in the eight man rotation? Or are you just saying out of our roster 8 will rise to the top?
Would say Estrada, Dubar, Iyiola, Thomas are locked in as starters. The other 2 transfers are going to play a lot. Right now the 8 would include Carlos and whoever of the group ends up the backup center.
Would agree with those 4 with hopefully Carlos starting at the point if he shows us why he was so touted coming out of HS. Depending on how things shake out we could at any given time have a pretty sizeable bunch of kids on the court with Iyiola 6'10 or Manyang 6'11, Yiadom at the (4) 6'8, Dubar at the three 6'7 and the guards FROM 6'4 Washington to 6'3's Estrada, Thomas,Farmer and the smallest kid at anytime would be Carlos at 6'. We certainly could be a bigger better defensive team and a team that can rebound. We haven't even mentioned the 6'9 Tomasco whose role is unknown and the 6'5 Barrouk if healthy could be a sleeper here.

I still will reiterate that I think we need to sign another PG unless we feel if Carlos doesn't work out Estrada will run the point. I'd rather see Estrada just putting all his energy into scoring what he does best.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I think you guys generally nailed our top 8 right now; no arguments form me. I would like to see us get a transfer as the backup to Iyiola though. I don't want to rely on a freshman even for the backup role.

Estrada will probably play PG for us most of the time; he ended up playing it a lot last year. Would be nice to get another transfer PG though to help with depth.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I think you guys generally nailed our top 8 right now; no arguments form me. I would like to see us get a transfer as the backup to Iyiola though. I don't want to rely on a freshman even for the backup role.

Estrada will probably play PG for us most of the time; he ended up playing it a lot last year. Would be nice to get another transfer PG though to help with depth.
The problem is that if Estrada is playing the point what do we do with Carlos?? Also if we need a third post player that would defer to Yiadom. I do believe that Manyang gets a fair amount of minutes there. I'm sure that's the game plan to get him ready to start there.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:I think you guys generally nailed our top 8 right now; no arguments form me. I would like to see us get a transfer as the backup to Iyiola though. I don't want to rely on a freshman even for the backup role.

The problem is that if Estrada is playing the point what do we do with Carlos?? Also if we need a third post player that would defer to Yiadom. I do believe that Manyang gets a fair amount of minutes there. I'm sure that's the game plan to get him ready to start there.
Maybe Carlos takes that step up and can be a starter right away to play the PG position. But either way I expect Speedy to be bringing in another guard as a transfer to get minutes.

Maybe Manyang will get significant minutes but I don't feel you can bank on that for a freshman. This is the same trap people fell into with having larger expectations for Carlos. Maybe Yiadom does backup Iyiola; I was penciling him in to backup Dubar. Either way I think we need another transfer at the 4 or 5.

Plenty of transfers still out there; I don't expect Speedy to rely on Carlos or Manyang for big minutes to start the season but either could end up playing there way into significant minutes. That would just mean the team is that much better.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:

Maybe Carlos takes that step up and can be a starter right away to play the PG position. But either way I expect Speedy to be bringing in another guard as a transfer to get minutes.

Maybe Manyang will get significant minutes but I don't feel you can bank on that for a freshman. This is the same trap people fell into with having larger expectations for Carlos. Maybe Yiadom does backup Iyiola; I was penciling him in to backup Dubar. Either way I think we need another transfer at the 4 or 5.

Plenty of transfers still out there; I don't expect Speedy to rely on Carlos or Manyang for big minutes to start the season but either could end up playing there way into significant minutes. That would just mean the team is that much better.
These are good points that r well taken and some of us do believe that we need another PG and another big we have stated as such here. I don't think there were that many of us believing that Carlos would start but did figure he would get some minutes and he did but unfortunately he didn't make the most of them. On your point about Yiadom backing Dubar yes some people might think that but Dubar's a guard and plays like one and likes to shoot the three Yiadom will make his living in the post getting putbacks, blocking shots and rebounding. I don't think he will be shooting a lot of three's?? It will be interesting to see if Manyang is at a high enough level to play significant minutes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BTW the kid who played the point at St Peter's has transferred to St Bonaventure Daryl Banks. There's a lot of kids transferring out of St Bonaventure just thought I would mention that here.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Bryce Washington highlights; https://youtu.be/QEPrOxLYQLc
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:BTW the kid who played the point at St Peter's has transferred to St Bonaventure Daryl Banks. There's a lot of kids transferring out of St Bonaventure just thought I would mention that here.
Matthew Lee (Butch's son) is moving on to Missouri State, which finished second in the MVC and made the NIT this year. The Peacocks also added a transfer themselves.

Bashir Mason (Drexel player, Wagner coach) is Saint Peter's new HC.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:Bryce Washington highlights; https://youtu.be/QEPrOxLYQLc
Nice! Good to see him against good D I competition, has smooth stroke and looks very athletic...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So for what it's worth Dominick Welch is transferring from St Bonaventure. Getting almost 38 minutes there and scoring 12 + points a game. He's 6'5 and shoots the three around 38%. I wonder if Speedy will reach out to him? He's hitting the transfer portal right around the same time that Daryl Banks transferred in from St Peter's hmm coincidence??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Bonaventure is losing most of their starting line up as Lofton and Osunniyi have both transferred. Lofton their PG would be a great get for us was a first team A-10 player a few times and their second leading scorer getting almost 13 pts a game and o/5 assists. Speedy are u on this??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm noticing now that Vukasin Masic has transferred from the Maine Bears(america east) who were 6-23/ 3-15 in the conference to the Portland Pilots who play in the WCC with Gonzaga. WCC ranked 9th in RPI conference rankings America East ranked 24 out of 32. Portland was 19-15 last year. So this is quite a leap for Masic playing in a much more competitive conference. Best of luck I hope he made the right decision.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Silverio to Manhattan

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A good get for Manhattan where he should get some minutes. They finished at .500 last year and played Rider in the first round and lost after beating Iona in the last regular season game. Good luck to him he was a plus for us this past year despite what some will say. Corrected this post had Manhattan playing in the MAAC championship which was incorrect thanks to CT Dutch for correcting me!! My bad!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Kind of a strange move for him...he should have stayed at Hofstra IMO. Wish him well though. Wonder if we will be playing them.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Best of luck to him, I see this spot being filled by one of the new transfers and likely played a major part in his decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

He jumped into portal before these kids came on board.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

He also graduated. Talented but frustrating player, should be a key part of the Manhattan team next season.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk