MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Polito »

This is great look, great visit - trust me, like most of HUs offers this kid is going to blow up - has offer from East Carolina also, and looks from Nova - great size, athletic, team guy, plays like a PG at 6'6, would be a super get IMO
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Not that it really matters but he tweeted that he enjoyed campus at noon and the music fest didn't really start until the afternoon. Bummer.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

@VerbalCommits: 2016 Auburndale (FL) G Keon Clergeot has received an offer from Hofstra. (HT @prephoopsfl) @Keonhumble http://t.co/oKQIg2tbOb
garyg

Post by garyg »

Before you know it the summer recruiting wars will be upon us. What will the Hofstra wish list be?? If things/roster stay the same here is what we may be looking at

PG Buie so Gonzales jr
SG Bernardi sr Foreman so
SF Robinson sr
PF Sabety jr
C Gustys jr Walker jr

With this projection we will have 5 scholarships to offer

Need to bring in a combo guard with some size...need to bring in 2 athletic wings....need to bring in one PF and one C...obviously things/needs may change but the summer circuit is not far away
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Before you know it the summer recruiting wars will be upon us. What will the Hofstra wish list be?? If things/roster stay the same here is what we may be looking at

PG Buie so Gonzales jr
SG Bernardi sr Foreman so
SF Robinson sr
PF Sabety jr
C Gustys jr Walker jr

With this projection we will have 5 scholarships to offer

Need to bring in a combo guard with some size...need to bring in 2 athletic wings....need to bring in one PF and one C...obviously things/needs may change but the summer circuit is not far away
I think with Gustys, Walker and Sabety we might be OK in the "big area" so getting athletes that play a combo guard, wings are going to be the focus.
garyg

Post by garyg »

What an important class this is with 6 scholarships to offer:

This is what is supposed to come back after next season.

PG Buie So.
SG Bernardi SR SG Foreman SO
SF Robinson SR
PF Sabety JR
C Gustys JR C Walker JR

JAM & staff had better have a great recruiting class
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Robinson will be a redshirt jr from what I hear
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Robinson will be a redshirt jr from what I hear
Does that mean he'll be redshirting this year?
Polito

Post by Polito »

'16 is HUGE... H U G E

One of the most important recruiting classes in quite some time - will set the tone for the future of the program under JM's lead - they need STAR power - could argue a need at basically every spot for that class, and they need to be impact guys - a great seasons and trip to the dance this yr will go a looong way towards that happening

interesting about Robinson - can't say I'm opposed if that happens - I think between Tanksley, Nichols, and Koon, the WF spot is in good shape this season, and would be great to have him for an extra yr - I think there's potential there and another yr to develop can only help - would also help put the 2 following years after this one in a better position

wonder if that would be the reason, or if there's something else that could cause the shirt...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:'16 is HUGE... H U G E

One of the most important recruiting classes in quite some time - will set the tone for the future of the program under JM's lead - they need STAR power - could argue a need at basically every spot for that class, and they need to be impact guys - a great seasons and trip to the dance this yr will go a looong way towards that happening

interesting about Robinson - can't say I'm opposed if that happens - I think between Tanksley, Nichols, and Koon, the WF spot is in good shape this season, and would be great to have him for an extra yr - I think there's potential there and another yr to develop can only help - would also help put the 2 following years after this one in a better position

wonder if that would be the reason, or if there's something else that could cause the shirt...
JR redshirting?
That is very interesting and for him and the team is win/win. I think it lengthens the pipeline of recruits. It gives more minutes this year for guys to win now (Koon, Djambo, Nicols and of course Green, Tanks and Bernardi) and more minutes for developmental guys (Walker, JWf and Buie) - I know there are only 20 minutes or so that Robinson frees up - But believe a year off for Robinson will ripple out to more quality time his final 2 years.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

If true, I am on board with this move. He saw more playing time as a freshman because of our depleted roster and was more productive than he was last season. As a sophomore knowing he was going to get limited minutes, he rushed his shots and was very ineffective, which would be the case again this year. He'll be needed much more in the 2 years following this one with the departure of Tanksley/Nichols/Koon. I think his efficiency will increase as his playing time increases. He showed winning qualities as a player in year 1.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

He seems like a quality, selfless guy-- This would only further show that. He would be a huge piece to have for those following two seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the more PT and ability to do some grad school would primarily motivate this decision.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I like the idea of Robinson red shirting next season...he will not get much playing time next season with the roster we have...take a year off and continue to work hard in weight room and fine tune his game...could be a valuable player for us his last two seasons after redshirt year...
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

SUWANEE, Ga. - The Western Kentucky University basketball staff has offered a handful of players in the recent week, including a standout shooting guard from North Carolina. Team Felton 2016 guard Dondre Griffin reports WKU is one of his 12 scholarship offers.

It's been a good two weeks for Dondre Griffin.

The 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Raleigh, N.C., Knightdale High School entered the month with six scholarship offers but has added six more in less than 10 days because of his strong performance.

Griffin reports new offers from Western Kentucky, East Tennessee State, North Carolina Central, Chattanooga, Hofstra, Appalachian State, Hampton and Houston Baptist.

And there are plenty of other schools looking. Griffin said three Florida coaches watched him on Friday.

"It's been great," he said. "There's a lot of interest and that's what you want."

Griffin said WKU offered this week and he "really hasn't had a lot of time to talk to them or learn about them," noting that it's like that with most of the new schools on his list.

"I know they're in the C-USA and they have an up-tempo style," Griffin said. "That really makes me want to look at them."

Griffin led Knightdale to a 20-win season as a junior and showed a lot of versatility with Team Felton. He had a game earlier this week with 27 points and on Friday night had six assists.

"I think most coaches like me because I can do multiple things on the floor," he said. "As a big guard, I can rebound, I can facilitate and I can score. I can do a lot of things on the floor.

"I'm a combo guard in college. I'll just do what my team needs."

Awaiting Image
Dondre Griffin


Knightdale HS / 6'4" / 175 lbs

Position
SG

Interest

Listed as 3 Star recruit

garyg

Post by garyg »

Sounds like quite a recruit ZMAN
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

couple more per verbal commits:

7/27/2015 - 2016 SG Jaylen Fornes (6-2, 170, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra. - Per Link
7/25/2015 - 2016 SF Jaylen McManus (6-6, 195, 2★) has received an offer from Hofstra.

both North Carolina kids
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Have they actually given verbal commits? Why are we not going after higher than 2 star rated players?
Cards

Post by Cards »

No commits, just offers.

Fornes looks pretty good to me (see video below - sophomore year highlights). I thinks he projects better than a 2* by HS graduation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoegKR4byXk
Creates his own shots or catch and shoot. Very smooth jump shot. He's getting lots of midmajor offers - must be putting on a show at the summer camps.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Verbal Commits is the name of the website, not that they actually gave verbal commitments. http://www.verbalcommits.com/
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

To answer your second question bobe, mid majors seldom get anything higher than 2-star ratings. Juan'ya and Ameen were both 2-star recruits. So was Scott Eatherton. Just because they're 2-stars doesn't mean they're useless.