MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:Why do people think something shady is going on at Iona? Players see a coach with five 20+ win seasons, two NCAA appearances and two NIT appearances who plays an uptempo style. What's not to like? I'm surprised Cluess hasn't taken a bigger job somewhere else. One day he will.

As for Hofstra, I hope whoever we sign this spring is worth the wait.
Because there is
Captain

Post by Captain »

I think Cluess and co. are great recruiters despite their gym. I agree Jojo their style is appealing to incoming kids. They have had sustained success. Their team next year sounds like it will be really good and may not miss much despite losing Laury. Success breeds success in recruiting.
On the other hand, we are not so far removed from the dormitory theft issues which may still be in our recruiting balance sheet despite our new staff and some very recent progress upward. Recruiting is a jungle out there and I'm confident that other teams that Hofstra competes with for players are quick to dig up the past if they think it may help turn a kid (and his parents) their way.
This is why whatever recent success recruiting we have had is impressive. Another strong(er) season and HU with it's quality staff will be on a better platform to recruit
from. Completing this incoming group with a couple of real players will really help immediately and long term. The 2015-2016 season will be the defining season for JAM's tenure at Hofstra. Good Hunting!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Don't know about our assistants but coach is a low keyed sleepy kind of personality not one to lite a fire in a seventeen year old kid.
Saying Hofstra is a very special place only gets you so far. No big 3,4, or 5 recruits of any value to mention to date. Right now these are the positions of our greatest needs.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Gustys was a starter at the best high school program in the nation and Walker received an offer from Shaka Smart. This team isn't known for its bigs though and potential bigs coming to Hofstra know they'll have a diminished role in the system compared to other places they're getting offers from.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Andrien Jaire' White ‏@AndrienWhite5
Blessed to receive a offer from Hofstra University in NY today. #CAA #GoHofstra

2015 6'2" PG from Quality Education (NC)

some highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_KJF88k3M
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Andersjorstad wrote:Gustys was a starter at the best high school program in the nation and Walker received an offer from Shaka Smart. This team isn't known for its bigs though and potential bigs coming to Hofstra know they'll have a diminished role in the system compared to other places they're getting offers from.
THIS.

It's laughable to say JAM's personality hurts our recruiting effort-- he has brought great talent to a lower level program in the past, and then brought in 2 of the best big man prospects Hofstra has ever seen in only his first full year of recruiting. This is a program that has ALWAYS had problems recruiting bigs, and he has a system (love it or hate it) that only requires 1 traditional big man. Due to this system, we're almost definitely going to be playing a 6'4'' to 6'8'' stretch 3/4 at the 4 position moving forward (a taller Tanksley is what I'd imagine JAM ideally wants). So with 2 quality bigs who are only sophs in a system that only needs 1 on the court at a time, big men aren't going to be dying to come here, and I honestly don't think we really need one this year (especially with Djambo's services for a year).

I do hope we get recruiting news on a quality PG and one of those quality 3/4s I mentioned earlier. This system needs as many of both of those as it can get, and I'll assume we're going to lose someone to transfer at some point in the near future. I don't have any insider info on that or anything, I would just personally be surprised if Eliel is on the roster next year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

To say that JAM and Co are not strong recruiters is ludicrous. How about green and Tanksley coming from Niagara, two bigs coming, and this year two of the City's top five players...we don't typically hype our recruiting...only when we SIGN top kids. JAM and Co will deliver!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I also concur and have felt that for their first 2 yrs this staff has done a very very good job rebuilding and recruiting - now I am a bit antsy awaiting news on commits for these last 2 spots in the class, and I do feel they should've been locked up by now; however, I will also note again that this staff is going after very high quality guys - gone are the days where HU offers someone no one's ever heard of and then half the time loses him to some lower level mid - that happened way too often - some of those sleepers turned out great, but this program needs to elevate and this staff is working hard in that direction, that is clear to me - even these late offers are to quality players with other decent offers

Agree bigs are not going to be knocking down the doors most yrs, and def not with 3 quality 6'10 guys ready to play - but they DEF need a couple of guys in the 6'4-6'7 range - and considering how hard they're going after PG's it does tend to make you think someone may be heading out... at any rate they need 2 impact guys to fill this class, asap.

As for Iona, I understand they've produced a quality program in terms of success at their level consistently, not taking that away, they've done a great job - and I know they are strong recruiters - but I'm sorry it just doesn't make sense for that low level program to bring in the transfer talent they do every single year, it just doesn't - they aren't the only good mid, there are MANY around the country and plenty that make some kind of post season more often than not - but I haven't seen any do what they do - they bring in guys with seemingly as much effort as it takes to turn a page

Not accusing them per say, it just doesn't add up - they ain't THAT good, I mean c'mon, they ain't the Zags or Wichita St or VCU - so they either have a 100% acceptance rate for transfers, are making crazy promises to them, giving them tremendous perks, or quite frankly doing something worse - there's no way that Grasso and Cluess (who ain't no spring chicken) are somehow sssoooo good at recruiting that they can land more 3* guys than any other mid at their level...every yr... and have NO big school swoop in to grab Grasso (but they DID come grab Manhattan's) ... because he's just SO loyal that big time and $ doesn't attract him ... lol, nah not buying that.
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits · 3h 3 hours ago
St. John's C Adonis Delarosa is leaving the program. (HT @AdamZagoria) http://verbalcommits.com/players/adonis-delarosa-ny
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Let's get him!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Beat me to it DMV! Something had to give over there, SJU has been landing commitments and transfers what feels like every other day... I was really starting to wonder how many scholarships they had

JM and Speedy should absolutely be ALL IN on this - needs to be a priority - hoping this is just what they've been waiting for - were very close with him before, let's finish it right just like with Bernardi and Nichols!

Land him and an impact wing and that will be a tremendous class
garyg

Post by garyg »

Gman mentioned the possibility of De Larosa becoming available last week on this thread...question...would he be eligible immediately since he did not play 1 minute at St. Johns ????
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I am tired of hearing about the Niagra transfers. Yes they helped turn around our record and helped the team-now looking for some new fresh blood. Gustys is big for sure but somewhat of a stiff in my opinion. I don't really care how great his HS was although it is important. Show me what you can do here. Walker was recruited by Smart? I wonder how hard. Something is going on with him and coach . He was not given any playing time even in blowouts (in either direction). Gonzales limited playing time and seemed to commit fouls in time he was given, I would be surprised if he and Walker were still here this year. Transfer from Clemson we get for one year who is mainly a defensive player.
Don't mean to be the Charles Barkley of the boards with my contrarian views but I have been around for a long time and avoid drinking the cool aid. Don't forget guys the CAA is a relatively weak conference. Not the same one of years past with VCU, Old Dominion and George Mason. Look out for Elon and Charleston LOL.
I am waiting and would love to be proven wrong.
Cards

Post by Cards »

bobe13 - I hoping Djambo is more than a defensive guy. Video indicates he has a nice "j" and decent moves. I know its not consistent with JMs style, but I'm hoping we see alot of Djambo on the floor with either Gustys/Walker.

have not seen Delarosa play, but obviously he is a big guy who i would assume could clog up the middle. Don't see how Gustys/Walker/Delarosa playing time allocation could work (if AW is leaving, as some seem to think, then its a different story)? Does Delarosa have an decent inside offensive game (from 12 feet and in)? The last thing I want is a CJ Gettys type guy!
garyg

Post by garyg »

De Larosa is good inside offensive player...once he establishes position down low he is impossible to move out...
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Sorry to be that guy, but there's no reason he would want to come here. Wouldn't get any more of a role in the offense than he had at St. John's. We're not a big-heavy team. If a big comes to Hofstra it would likely be a hybrid big like Nichols who knows they would play in the system.
Polito

Post by Polito »

quite frankly I'm perfectly fine with them bringing in an impact hybrid, I just want to see these final 2 spots filled with QUALITY players that can help this team win the CAA this upcoming season - not fifth, not second, they need to WIN it all. It is vital they use these spots for high value guys that can make an immediate impact.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Agree 100% Polito
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I mean I don't know basketball systems really, but would you say Hofstra doesn't have the big men because they don't want to play in that system, or Hofstra doesn't play in that system because they don't have the big men? I mean if you're going to play a 2 big man system, but don't really have 2 big men you can put out there, why would you play that system?
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Huh?