MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by HUSID80 »

We need BIGS...right now Schute is out and Kante is questionable...

We are in trouble at the fore and five spots right now.

Come on Speedy, show us what you’ve got!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Right now the 3 and 5 are the riskiest spots to me. I presume Silverio gets the start at the 3, with Green and Zion backing up? None of those I think really sealed their place there, all had ups and downs. Cramer with the start at the 4, with Green backing up? Zero backup at the 5.

Ray returning is HUGE of course, but where else is the scoring coming from? This team has zero consistent shooting. Who is shooting the 3 at an effective D1 %? I don't trust this group at all yet.

And so with that concern, Speedy's biggest recruiting win at this very moment today (now that Ray is back) is certainly keeping Kante. The 5 is numero uno right now, and the other is a lights out shooting machine.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Interesting get! 3 star wing from the Big 12. Didn’t get a lot of playing time as a freshman though.

Guess Speedy is recruiting alone! Could be a nice replacement for Coburn’s spot (even wearing 0 in the tweet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

From Iowas State BIO: High School

Prepped at Scotland Campus (Pa.) his final season … also spent time at Rocky River High School (N.C.) and Athens Prep (Tenn.) … ranked the No. 166 composite recruit nationally and No. 27 player at his position by 247Sports … a top-150 three-star recruit by Rivals … three-star recruit by ESPN … averaged 18.5 points in the semifinals and championship game at the prestigious GAC Tournament, helping lead Scotland to the title … scored 26 points on 7-for-11 shooting to help defeat Vermont Academy during the Prep National Showcase … played AAU for BMaze Elite, where his legend includes a 29-point performance in a single half … picked the Cyclones after fielding offers from Maryland, Wichita State, Seton Hall, Auburn and Notre Dame.

Speedy's first signed recruit and it appears to be a good one. Will we be looking at and offering 3/4 star recruits now and actually signing them? Certainly hope so set the bar high!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Appears to be a nice fit for us Still Speedy cant do it all by himself He needs help especially with the bigs CmonHofstra give Speedy the tools he needs to succeed
Polito

Post by Polito »

Aaayyyyee SPEEDY!! Coming through when we need some good news, guy is winning me - driving me nuts about a staff, but this man can recruit, no question. Welcome to the Coburn replacement, and a fully capable 4 as needed.

A 6'5-6'6 200lbish guard / wing?? Yes please. 3 star, top 150 player coming out of hs. From Charlotte area, spent prep yr in PA where he was top 5 in the state. Those are some serious relatively recent (2 yrs) offers, also had Marquette and in addition he was recently on a transfer recruiting visit to St Johns this year, so this kid could easily end up at another high major, despite his soft first year still has current desired talent, and I'll take those program assessments and any guard Speedy wants all day long. Kid is built like a tank, looks like a Sr already.

Best part? Comes in with 4 to play.

Some tidbits from Rivals circa '19:
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... bar-233090

"Without predicting that he will be a two-and-done like Haliburton, Darlinstone Dubar should be a tremendous addition for the Cyclones. A relatively lightly-recruited wing-forward this fall, Dubar is going to be a good one in Ames. He has to improve his handle but he sports a college-ready frame, plenty of athleticism and the ability to make the open jumper. Dubar is probably best suited for the small ball power forward role and is another piece for Iowa State to build with toward a Big 12 title."

"Not much fanfare was given to last month’s commitment from Darlinstone Dubar. The three-star wing was a lightly recruited one but, by now, Iowa State fans have come to know that those are the ones that find the greatest success wearing the Cyclones jersey. Dubar made a strong argument for inclusion within the next Rivals150 on Friday thanks to the progressions that he has made with his general skillset and the continued value placed on prospects in his mold. A potential 3-and-D wing that can defend and make shots, Dubar is another quality find for the Big 12 bunch. There is a no-BS approach that should suit him well once he arrives in Ames and another piece to build with under the tutelage of Steve Prohm."

"Dubar chose the Cyclones over Maryland, Notre Dame, Seton Hall and Wichita State. He stands over 6-foot-5 and is a fluid athlete that can make shots to the perimeter, but also convert around the basket. He possesses quality two-way tangibles that should create for an immediate contributor next year. A native of the Charlotte, North Carolina area that is taking a prep year at Scotland Campus Sports (Pennsylvania), Dubar improved his stock this fall which saw a number of power conference programs enter into his recruitment.

The Cyclones have two scholarships to fill after this season and will likely see Tyrese Haliburton test the NBA waters. Dubar gives ISU a versatile wing that can play both spots off of the ball along the perimeter. Defensively, he has the chance to defend various positions and develop into a quality producer throughout his college career."

Here's a great article on his recruitment and commitment:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 520316001/

Recent recap of an ISU game highlighting his energy, love it all:
https://www.thegazette.com/iowa-state-c ... ota-state/

2019 highlight video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLbrGAEUzIU

NOW... secure KANTE and get another BIG!!!! Oh, and a little thing called a STAFF!! :D
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This is a good one for Speedy's first recruit. Not much more to say than has already been said but if this signing is any indication Speedy will be adding major college talent!

Congrats to both player and coach!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with what has been said.

Love the range and size. Looks like he has the potential to move between the 3 and 4.

Not being too picky here, but wish he had a solid year of D1 "game experience". Appears he did not get much playing time as a freshman. No matter - very good pickup!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Big talent add. My only concern is that he isn't a truly proven shooter, something this roster still needs. But he can def play PF, feels like some kind of wing rotation of Cramer/Green/Dubar is pretty well set for the 3/4 spots, don't need to prioritize more depth there, especially when you consider how young they all are.

I keep saying this but give Cramer a couple minutes at the 5 in the right matchup and see what happens. His vertical will allow him to still bully guys and wreak havoc.

If Speedy's rotations are anywhere close to Joe's, we really just need 1 big and 1 redshirt type longterm prospect and I feel good.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Agree with what has been said.

Love the range and size. Looks like he has the potential to move between the 3 and 4.

Not being too picky here, but wish he had a solid year of D1 "game experience". Appears he did not get much playing time as a freshman. No matter - very good pickup!
The Iowa State website says he started seven games...that's pretty good!
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID80 wrote:
Cards wrote:Agree with what has been said.

The Iowa State website says he started seven games...that's pretty good!
All is good HUSID....just saying more would have been better. Given our current roster, I still imagine he will see plenty of court time. :D
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Playing time probably was a factor in transferring. If he played more, he may have stayed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Of course playing time almost always an issue great for us. This kid IMO is like a clone of Cramer he's a strong rebounder has good size and his outside shot is still developing also a poor F.T.shooter based on his stats last year. Both him and Cramer under 50% that will have to improve but with both of these kids on the floor we should get plenty more O boards and second chance points. Really like the possibilities. Kudos to Speedy and welcome Mr Dunbar!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

And another...Zach Cooks transfer from NJIT, averaged 17.1 points 4.9 rebounds last year as a 5-10 guard
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:And another...Zach Cooks transfer from NJIT, averaged 17.1 points 4.9 rebounds last year as a 5-10 guard
https://twitter.com/zachcooks15/status/ ... 4365021187
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This signing is great on the face of it. Leading scorer on this team playing almost 38 minutes. FG% 41, 3PT.% 34, ft %72 and a lot of steals. Wow where is his 38 minutes coming from?? Guards beware a real complete player! He was the third leading scorer in the conference and second in steals. Nice get!
dutchalum01

MBB Recruits 2021

Post by dutchalum01 »

Wtf... that kid Cook is a stud. Under recruitment due to his size but he can ball. Like for real. I think he’s an upper classman - maybe a senior? That’s a fantastic pickup.

dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:This signing is great on the face of it. Leading scorer on this team playing almost 38 minutes. FG% 41, 3PT.% 34, ft %72 and a lot of steals. Wow where is his 38 minutes coming from?? Guards beware a real complete player! He was the third leading scorer in the conference and second in steals. Nice get!
totally agree!! You beat me to it. He’s a baller.

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cook will be a grad student, one year remaining. Looks like “instant” offense to me.