MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by dutchalum01 »

HUPride17 wrote:Speedy was on MSG PM last night and essentially confirmed that Ray will be returning! Tidbit comes at around the 4:15 mark: https://www.msgnetworks.com/videos/spee ... f-hofstra/
was just about to post that! Just finished Watching interview now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Awesome news, Jalen is such a steady shooter, something that this team will need.
Cards

Post by Cards »

RollPride15 wrote:Awesome news, Jalen is such a steady shooter, something that this team will need.
Regardless of what transfer(s) Speedy may land, JR will be a major piece of the puzzle. Glad to hear he'll be around another season!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Good to get that confirmation. If Coburn does end up moving on as it seems like he is; who do we think will take his starting spot? It seems that could be the biggest hole to fill with a transfer. Or get another big and slide Cramer to Coburn's old spot.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUPride17 wrote:Speedy was on MSG PM last night and essentially confirmed that Ray will be returning! Tidbit comes at around the 4:15 mark: https://www.msgnetworks.com/videos/spee ... f-hofstra/
Assuming no one else transfers out:
ray cramer kante starters,
carlos, burgess, masic, silverio, green, bethea for the other two spots
barrouk rehab/redshirt
Need a big backup, schutte was great for 10 mins a game
Its a good team

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
barrouk rehab/redshirt
Its a good team

Masic is transferring out. Otherwise I think you are spot on.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:
barrouk rehab/redshirt
Its a good team

Masic is transferring out. Otherwise I think you are spot on.
Ah didn't know about that. Bummer, he showed a lot of potential.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It will be interesting to see how the pieces of the puzzle come together and of course Ray,Cramer and Kante. It could be that we go with both Burgess and Carlos with Carlos maybe becoming the starting point guard. I believe that Burgess has shown us flashes that he can score and he started to hit the three with better efficiency towards the end of the season. I have to believe that Green slides into Coburns vacated spot and he will provide us with scoring and height. Like what Farrelly had said for this coming year both Green and Cramer will be on the court at the same time of course Speedy may have other thoughts. It's hard to say what we will get from Bethea since we haven't seen enough of him yet. We definitely need to fill the void left by Schutte and maybe Stafford to a lesser extent.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Have to assume Green is starting SF until we see otherwise. Wouldn't hate Zion Bethea at smallball backup SF, basically run a 3-guard rotation, especially if he can shoot. Similarly, Cramer at smallball 5 is appealing to me...get a team that pushes the tempo, stretches the floor.
Polito

Post by Polito »

AMAZING news on Ray, that changes projections in my mind - it's champ and berth or bust!

Although, in that interview when asked about returning guys I did notice Speedy did not mention Kante?!? Please tell me just a late night omission on Speedy's part and not something to be concerned about....???
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:AMAZING news on Ray, that changes projections in my mind - it's champ and berth or bust!

Although, in that interview when asked about returning guys I did notice Speedy did not mention Kante?!? Please tell me just a late night omission on Speedy's part and not something to be concerned about....???
Yeah I did notice that also the Kante omission but figured that wasn't a dis or reference to his not returning just an unintentional omission. We would be in a world of hurt without him returning!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Thought same thing about kante but would be his second transfer and not sure how the new rules would apply. Obviously that would be a backbreaker

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

There are no transfer rules that apply. He can go anywhere and play right away. Let's hope he stays right where he is.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:There are no transfer rules that apply. He can go anywhere and play right away. Let's hope he stays right where he is.
Ok my understanding was that the free transfer rule expected to be approved on Thursday only applies to the first transfer. He did already sit a year so maybe that's why. Thanks.

HU87

Post by HU87 »

Seemed like speedy put a lot of thought into that rundown of returners... would be a very big "oops" if he just somehow forgot his all-league center. Not a good sign...

Let's hope we can bring in someone strong/very experienced at the position with all the center minutes we now have open
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

cactus wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:There are no transfer rules that apply. He can go anywhere and play right away. Let's hope he stays right where he is.
Ok my understanding was that the free transfer rule expected to be approved on Thursday only applies to the first transfer. He did already sit a year so maybe that's why. Thanks.

Nope, it’s like total free agency!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Free Agency is right! CoC just had four more players enter the transfer portal. For next season, they now have a total of 8 new players committed (LOIs or VC) and still have a few open spots. It will essentially be a different team than this past season.

Crazy stuff!
Polito

Post by Polito »

The new world... transfer market is real and here to stay and it's a HUGE impact to the entire landscape - and frankly really no one is safe lol

BUT it's not all bad at all, there's a lot of good actually, and many programs including HU will benefit greatly from it.

CofC just went through an entire staff change, literally, the entire staff - so those changes are to be expected.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Kelsey is already making moves at CofC and I hope we can emulate it. Got Nick Farrar from NC State, top 200 recruit a year ago. Got Fah'mir Ali, a FR from Radford who put up 11 pts and 4 assists last year. And got a D2 All-American Dalton Bolon who is like 25 years old and scored 22 ppg last year while shooting 45% from three. Will all of those guys be stars? Idk, but i'd take any of them on Hofstra tomorrow.
Polito

Post by Polito »

BINGO

Frankly HU is behind ... again - and CofC's role came WAY after HU knew their needs. But that admin showed preparedness, urgency, and know-how by making a power move. Pretty clear they were ready and acted immediately. And they didn't have the luxury of lucking out by having a guy on staff they could lazily fall back on and claim a victory. They went out and STOLE an entire staff from one of the most successful mid majors of today. On paper, that hire is tremendous. That right there is how most winning is done.

Will it pan out? Who knows. Will Speedy? Same who knows. Now I'm warming up to this and do see a path where Speedy can crush this and truly elevate the program. But not by constantly being reactive and late to the game.

Point is CofC is already making big boy moves on the trail while HU is still talking about building a staff in the umpteenth interview. GET IT DONE.