Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: Coaching search

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:You're assuming that Speedy wants to be head coach here and IMO listening to the CC&C chronicles I just don't see this. A lot of pressure that he doesn't need in his life and clearly he doesn't need the money. I don't have any inside info. it's just my gut feeling for what it's worth. I believe the points that have been expressed here are very valid and this is a crucial time for our basketball program to take a leap or just continue on a status quo path maybe even wind up going backwards which clearly we want to avoid. I don't feel that our current players are going anywhere no matter which direction we chose with the one caveat that we keep Speedy on. Speedy is the major important piece in this puzzle with his recruiting and bonds to the players. His resume speaks volumes and is compelling for prospective recruits. In no way am I dissing Mike and think he did an admirable job under duress and in a very difficult situation but like someone has already stated he's not the heir to the throne and needs to beat out legitimately all other viable candidates. I don't believe in any way that we go after someone who has red flags in his resume I don't want a deja-vu of the Cassara debacle. The program should be run with the highest integrity but also with the goal to win the CAA every year. Lots of well thought out opinions here guys.
If we do hire head coach from outside and somehow Speedy can be retained that would be amazing, but reality is any new head coach is going to want to bring in their own staff.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great story on Coach Mihalich in today's NY Post....I guess someone thinks our program is successful...LOL

https://nypost.com/2021/03/20/hofstras- ... ning-note/
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:You're assuming that Speedy wants to be head coach here and IMO listening to the CC&C chronicles I just don't see this. A lot of pressure that he doesn't need in his life and clearly he doesn't need the money. I don't have any inside info. it's just my gut feeling for what it's worth. I believe the points that have been expressed here are very valid and this is a crucial time for our basketball program to take a leap or just continue on a status quo path maybe even wind up going backwards which clearly we want to avoid. I don't feel that our current players are going anywhere no matter which direction we chose with the one caveat that we keep Speedy on. Speedy is the major important piece in this puzzle with his recruiting and bonds to the players. His resume speaks volumes and is compelling for prospective recruits. In no way am I dissing Mike and think he did an admirable job under duress and in a very difficult situation but like someone has already stated he's not the heir to the throne and needs to beat out legitimately all other viable candidates. I don't believe in any way that we go after someone who has red flags in his resume I don't want a deja-vu of the Cassara debacle. The program should be run with the highest integrity but also with the goal to win the CAA every year. Lots of well thought out opinions here guys.
As I said in a previous post, Speedy WILL be interviewed for the HC spot.
rakaufman

Post by rakaufman »

How about Robert Jones, the head coach of Norfolk State University (NSU)?
- Originally from Jamaica, Queens
- 14 years at NSU, 6 as an assistant and 8 as HC.
- His 2018-19 team went to the NIT and upset Alabama in the first round.
- As an assistant, NSU upset Missouri in the first round of the 2012 NCAA tournament
- He recruited Kyle O'Quinn who starred on that 2012 team. He went on to play 8 years in the NBA.
- His teams have won three MEAC championships.

Additional info:

https://nsuspartans.com/sports/mens-bas ... -jones/909
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

rakaufman wrote:How about Robert Jones, the head coach of Norfolk State University (NSU)?
- Originally from Jamaica, Queens
- 14 years at NSU, 6 as an assistant and 8 as HC.
- His 2018-19 team went to the NIT and upset Alabama in the first round.
- As an assistant, NSU upset Missouri in the first round of the 2012 NCAA tournament
- He recruited Kyle O'Quinn who starred on that 2012 team. He went on to play 8 years in the NBA.
- His teams have won three MEAC championships.

Additional info:

https://nsuspartans.com/sports/mens-bas ... -jones/909
He has very solid resume, but MEAC is not the CAA.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Great story on Coach Mihalich in today's NY Post....I guess someone thinks our program is successful...LOL

https://nypost.com/2021/03/20/hofstras- ... ning-note/
Thanks for the post HUSID80 a nice tribute to a really fine human being.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:
As I said in a previous post, Speedy WILL be interviewed for the HC spot.
It makes sense to interview him but I think this is more out of respect then him having this on his bucket list.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Can't even begin to express how disheartened I am to see the fearful posts being made here - where is the excitement for an opportunity to take this program to the next level??
Who are they going to bring in that will sign better talent than Cramer, Kante, and Carlos? AND keep everyone here while the rest of the league struggles with defections? The CAA is not a good league, I don't care who the coach is, it's going to be very hard to recruit.

I also don't understand this being some kind of golden opportunity, I would expect Farrelly to get a 3 year deal. Barring the new transfer rule/injuries changing things considerably, they'll be in the mix, if not the favorite in the CAA, those 3 years. They were the favorite this year because of their talent despite losing 2 guys who played in the G league this year. Pair Farrelly and Speedy with another defensive mind as assistant with these kids and they already have the potential to dominate the CAA.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

cactus wrote:
Polito wrote:Can't even begin to express how disheartened I am to see the fearful posts being made here - where is the excitement for an opportunity to take this program to the next level??
Who are they going to bring in that will sign better talent than Cramer, Kante, and Carlos? AND keep everyone here while the rest of the league struggles with defections? The CAA is not a good league, I don't care who the coach is, it's going to be very hard to recruit.

I also don't understand this being some kind of golden opportunity, I would expect Farrelly to get a 3 year deal. Barring the new transfer rule/injuries changing things considerably, they'll be in the mix, if not the favorite in the CAA, those 3 years. They were the favorite this year because of their talent despite losing 2 guys who played in the G league this year. Pair Farrelly and Speedy with another defensive mind as assistant with these kids and they already have the potential to dominate the CAA.
Cactus, I'm on the same page as you on this one...I've already said give Farrelly three year deal, elevate Speedy to Assist heach Coach with more money/responsibility and add another strong assistant...bingo!
The above scenario should keep all the talent in Hempstead...like to see Ray come back for another year to get them over the top and get to the tournament.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:
cactus wrote:

Cactus, I'm on the same page as you on this one...I've already said give Farrelly three year deal, elevate Speedy to Assist heach Coach with more money/responsibility and add another strong assistant...bingo!
The above scenario should keep all the talent in Hempstead...like to see Ray come back for another year to get them over the top and get to the tournament.
Also easy to forget that Farrelly was short one assistant coach this season so that is another reason why 2020/21 was not fair season to truly judge him as a head coach.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:
cactus wrote:

I like that too

hire MF; elevate SC; hire a old experienced bench coach ... how about Phil Martelli (MF old HC at StJ) ...some one to be trusted for 3 years - I am ok with that scenario

I hope like others have said - don't go BS'ing through the process of a coaching search and come back and say that "after much looking - we came back to MF" - do it now or don't do it at all!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Someone I would like to see come back is Tom Parratta He worked with the big men under Tom Pecora
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

My ideal would be to bring in someone new who is a proven great recruiter, with the understanding that they'd take Speedy on staff maybe as Associate Head Coach. Understand you don't want to dictate a coach's staff too much but Speedy is clearly a boon to Hofstra. He could prob get any asst. job at this point, just a question of if he wants to move around.

Joe and his crew can't get enough praise for the work they did to turn this program around. Anyone who was following back in 2012 knew how nightmarish it was. Now is a natural time to at least look for that next step -- there are a lot of pieces in place, just a question of admin commitment and priority.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

RollPride15 wrote:My ideal would be to bring in someone new who is a proven great recruiter, with the understanding that they'd take Speedy on staff maybe as Associate Head Coach. Understand you don't want to dictate a coach's staff too much but Speedy is clearly a boon to Hofstra. He could prob get any asst. job at this point, just a question of if he wants to move around.

Joe and his crew can't get enough praise for the work they did to turn this program around. Anyone who was following back in 2012 knew how nightmarish it was. Now is a natural time to at least look for that next step -- there are a lot of pieces in place, just a question of admin commitment and priority.
Is possible a new head coach could be convinced to keep Speedy on staff, but in general they will want their own four assistants. If we did go in different direction that would be a must me for otherwise is way too risky.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Go to HoopDirt.com for recent info.
As per them, Kyle Neptune the Villanova assistant, Mike Farrelley and Jin ferry the former LIU and Duquesne coach are names floating around the HU job.
Neptune has Niagara roots with Coach Joe and company. In fact he came briefly to HU before Jay Wright hired him.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Captain wrote:Go to HoopDirt.com for recent info.
As per them, Kyle Neptune the Villanova assistant, Mike Farrelley and Jin ferry the former LIU and Duquesne coach are names floating around the HU job.
Neptune has Niagara roots with Coach Joe and company. In fact he came briefly to HU before Jay Wright hired him.
thanks for that - never heard or saw HoopDirt before - cool

They seem to be reading our posts here - I threw out FERRY name last week - saw GRASSO name here too - first I am hearing of NEPTUNE (I guess Jay is throwing us a candidate) - lets see
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Captain wrote:Go to HoopDirt.com for recent info.
Neptune is an intriguing candidate if they decide to go outside route given Jay Wright/Mihalich connections and better odds he could retain Speedy. Also went to Lehigh, which am sure Rabinowitz would love.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Would love a disciple of Jay.
FlyPride

Post by FlyPride »

The Jay Wright coaching tree has not been so great. Currently coaching Baker Dunleavy (Quinny), Ashley Howard (La Salle) and Billy Lange (St. Joseph's PA) all doing very so-so. Too early to say much on the two in the A10 since they have not been there that long. Then you have Tom Pecora formerly at Fordham who struggled big time. I would think this job is respected enough that it would go to a more experienced coach. Neptune seems like a huge gamble.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Two new names to throw around Vermont asst coach Kyle Cieplicki and Seton Hall aast Grant Billmeier There is another Seton Hall asst coach but none of us want to have anything to do with him. Thats Tony Skinn