Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by Wags »

The Mountain West joined the MAC in canceling fall sports yesterday (looking to possibly move to the spring).

Big Ten and Pac-12 voting today on whether to move forward with football. Probably a bad sign that they are voting today, right after the MAC and MWC votes. You'd think that would mean following suit as opposed to waiting a bit longer to see if playing football would be possible. But it's looking more and more like no football at all, at least not in the fall.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Interesting Instagram post from the volleyball team. https://www.instagram.com/p/CDtD7-UlRwn ... 6lj55eh20c seems like things will be starting up.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:The Mountain West joined the MAC in canceling fall sports yesterday (looking to possibly move to the spring).

Big Ten and Pac-12 voting today on whether to move forward with football. Probably a bad sign that they are voting today, right after the MAC and MWC votes. You'd think that would mean following suit as opposed to waiting a bit longer to see if playing football would be possible. But it's looking more and more like no football at all, at least not in the fall.
Official now - Big Ten and Pac-12 canceling football for the fall.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:Interesting Instagram post from the volleyball team. https://www.instagram.com/p/CDtD7-UlRwn ... 6lj55eh20c seems like things will be starting up.
Doesn't say much there about exactly what's happening in the week ahead. There haven't been any updates since Hofstra canceled fall sports in general and the volleyball team doesn't have any sort of game schedule posted since last year.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Interesting - despite the other conferences postponing in recent days, the Big 12 is proceeding with plans for fall sports, saying:

Players in high-contact sports like football, volleyball and soccer will get three COVID-19 tests per week (which has to be maddening for many people around the country who have been waiting up to 10 days for Covid test results).

Also interesting that the Big 12 doesn't consider basketball as high-contact as volleyball or soccer.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If we do have a mens basketball season I can actually see JAM using a small lineup
PG Burgess
PG Elmo
SG Ray
Wing Coburn
center Kante
This will be a very good defensive team
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:If we do have a mens basketball season I can actually see JAM using a small lineup
PG Burgess
PG Elmo
SG Ray
Wing Coburn
center Kante
This will be a very good defensive team
I'm not sure where u r going with this Stu but do u mean the above will be our starting 5?? It's pretty much etched in stone that Ray,Coburn and Kante will start and play a lot of minutes but to have 2 PG'S on the floor at the same time I don't think will be the norm. There are too many other good players that will need to get experience and become part of the flow besides we will need height on this team and we won't be getting it playing 3 small guards.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

They have a lot of options because most of the new guys are good or very good rebounders despite their size.
Hopefully we see a lot more bench use this year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I think a lot of us believe that Cramer will be getting some serious playing time and are excited to see him play.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

In 1999 we played two points guards Hernandez and Claxton
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We've had Green have so many more assists than anyone else. We've had two point guards with Jenkins and Williams, Jenkins and Kelleher, and JWF and Buie. In 2005-2006, Rivera averaged 3.5, Stokes averaged 2.8, and Agudio averaged 2.7.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:We've had Green have so many more assists than anyone else. We've had two point guards with Jenkins and Williams, Jenkins and Kelleher, and JWF and Buie. In 2005-2006, Rivera averaged 3.5, Stokes averaged 2.8, and Agudio averaged 2.7.
I'm sure there have been plenty of instances where two PG'S have been on the floor over the years and played together I don't believe that's happening on this team. I think that Burgess is going to have to prove to the coaching staff that he can put the ball in the hole for starters. He's very quick can play D but he needs to score some also. Elmo needs to prove he can mesh here and run the team but more so then that we have Cramer who has been described as an "ELITE ATHLETE" BY THE COACH. We have a kid in Green who has size rebounds, shoots the three, blocks shots and can put the ball on the floor. I expect both of these kids to get plenty of playing time. Also Bethea comes here with a nice resume and was recruited by bigger schools. Will we have 2 PG'S on the floor at the same time I guess we might at times but this won't be the norm IMO. Also the Buie Foreman reference is really not accurate because for all intents and purposes Justin was always considered a SG first and foremost although at times he was called on to play the point.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Like I said Wags, they are going to do everything they can to have some semblance of a college football season. Will it ultimately happen? I'm really not sure - it's 50/50. But as you're seeing, the thought that this was going to be some automatic fall in line deal was not happening. WAY WAY WAY too much money on the line here. This will be weighed from every possible angle to the last possible minute.

The ACC, SEC, BIG 12 all want it - and the Big 10 decision is not set in stone just yet from what I understand. Do not underestimate the power of southern football brotha. NY sports folks seriously know nothing like it - think the yankees are 'big' fans? Islanders/Rangers? LOL, that's child's play. Sorry NYers, just the facts. Ain't nothing in this country, NOTHING, that tops college football in the deep south.

Shoot, even my beloved Hokies, not even 'deep' south, but it's very intense. A key regular season Hokie game blows the doors off NY playoff games, in just about any sport - and I'm speaking from experience on both sides. And that's just VT with 67k. The Alabama's, LSU's, Clemson's, Florida's, Texas's, etc. is an entirely other level. Nothing in NY or the north can remotely even come close. And the power they and/or their boosters can wield? Would blow most minds.

Anyhoo, I can see the case for both sides, though I def place safety first. We'll see what happens. In the end I'm not sure I see how it can go, or last even if it starts. But who knows, gonna be some more wild, increasingly intense chatter in the coming days/weeks!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

On an odd footnote Zane Martin who played two years at Towson then transferred to New Mexico has transferred back to Towson to I guess play his last season as a graduate student. For sure he was one of the better players in the CAA when he was here. A big loss for them now is a big get and he will help this team big time after losing Fobbs. He probably transferred because he didn't start all the games there and was averaging 10 + points a game getting 24 minutes. At Towson I believe he was getting 19+ points a game and was clearly a starter. How about that merry go round!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 21120?s=20

Hofstra has begun practicing. Hopefully a season can start in the fall or early winter.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:Hofstra has begun practicing.
Finally some good news! :D
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

So I know it is only speculation at this point but what is everyone's thoughts on a college basketball season this year? Delayed start? Conference only?

I would assume any start would be without fans but would definitely be great if by the end of it hofstra could have fans in at least some capacity.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:So I know it is only speculation at this point but what is everyone's thoughts on a college basketball season this year? Delayed start? Conference only?

I would assume any start would be without fans but would definitely be great if by the end of it hofstra could have fans in at least some capacity.
HM why couldn't there be fans spaced out all over the Mack center. Plenty of room especially if u r limiting attendance not that we always had big crowds. It's very doable.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:So I know it is only speculation at this point but what is everyone's thoughts on a college basketball season this year? Delayed start? Conference only?

HM why couldn't there be fans spaced out all over the Mack center. Plenty of room especially if u r limiting attendance not that we always had big crowds. It's very doable.
There is very little chance of fans this year for an indoor event, even if a safe and effective vaccine becomes available in the next few months. Honestly a number of things would have to go right for fans to be there at the start of 2021-2022.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:

Well the first step is it needs to be allowed by NYS. I don’t see them doing that anytime in the near future.