Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: Media Thread

Post by HofstraHockey »

EvanJ wrote:It says "Attendance per game is up approximately 900 over last season, a Hofstra official said." It's up 232. A sellout of 4,465 would make it go up 161 to make it 393 higher than last season. This season has our highest attendance since we averaged 2,403 in 2011-2012 when we went 10-22 in our first season after Jenkins.
I wonder if that's actual attendance, not announced attendance. I'd believe that 900 more people are actually in the building each game.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

They do a turnstile count for every game...the attendance may include tickets sold but who are no shows like season ticket holders.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraHockey wrote:
EvanJ wrote: It says "Attendance per game is up approximately 900 over last season, a Hofstra official said." It's up 232. A sellout of 4,465 would make it go up 161 to make it 393 higher than last season. This season has our highest attendance since we averaged 2,403 in 2011-2012 when we went 10-22 in our first season after Jenkins.
I wonder if that's actual attendance, not announced attendance. I'd believe that 900 more people are actually in the building each game.
Regardless of how they count, it's dishonest if they compare one way of counting last season to another this season. The announced attendance isn't up anywhere near 900. After yesterday, the announced attendance is up 393. Do you think this season has had over 500 more people that would be counted in one method but not the other? I think the 900 difference comes from an official who didn't look at the numbers. To be clear, I'm talking about a change from last season. I'm not talking about if more or fewer than 900 people have tickets and don't count.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Every sports team these days reports tickets distributed, not actual attendance.

But I do actually think that 900 people more a game are actually walking through the turnstile.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Does one of the coaches submit the same ballot every week? We still have 1 point in the Coaches Poll!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Joe on ESPNU radio at 1:30 pm ET today (2/27):

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 9449027584
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:Does one of the coaches submit the same ballot every week? We still have 1 point in the Coaches Poll!
Amazing. That coach must be mailing it in without really looking at what has been going on. lol
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just for sh..... and giggles just read Iowa coach Fran Mccaffery suspended for berating and cursing at an official after Iowa's loss to Ohio State. I know someone had mentioned that both him and his wife were kicked out of a bracket buster game I believe at and against us. https://247sports.com/college/ohio-stat ... 129548021/
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Yup, Fran and his wife were thrown out of a Siena game at the Mack years ago. Too funny actually. Wonder if the refs could have "T'd" up the wife.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Once again our friends at Newsday screw up with the headline, "Clinch Share of First Place." We are in first even if we lose on Sat as we hold the tie-breaker against Northeastern...lazy journalism.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Once again our friends at Newsday screw up with the headline, "Clinch Share of First Place." We are in first even if we lose on Sat as we hold the tie-breaker against Northeastern...lazy journalism.
. Yes was going to post that but figured it was old news. Also a relatively small article compared to St John”s opposite page. I think the article about Farmingdale State was similar in size right underneath. Sad
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nice piece on Dan Dwyer in the Chicago Tribune....

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really nice article, not my fav skill set for this league but seems like another outstanding young man on this team - glad he has made the recovery, more blessings to him! Another trip to the dance Dan, your mouth to Gods ears!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Nice piece on Dan Dwyer in the Chicago Tribune....

Glad Dan is okay and playing now and I hope he gets to dance again! He's right though - gotta always be grateful. Scary how anything can humble you in an instant. I don't know, but what he had seems like it's pretty rare. Probably never figured on something like that derailing his career for a while. But great story that he's back and helping a bit off the bench for HU now. Who knows? Maybe he'll really add to this comeback story with a key unexpected moment in the CAA tourney.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:

Glad Dan is okay and playing now and I hope he gets to dance again! He's right though - gotta always be grateful. Scary how anything can humble you in an instant. I don't know, but what he had seems like it's pretty rare. Probably never figured on something like that derailing his career for a while. But great story that he's back and helping a bit off the bench for HU now. Who knows? Maybe he'll really add to this comeback story with a key unexpected moment in the CAA tourney.
While he has had some less then stellar D games he has really been solid of late and is positive contributor game in and game out and remember he also shoots a decent FT %.
bean-pie

Post by bean-pie »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:

While he has had some less then stellar D games he has really been solid of late and is positive contributor game in and game out and remember he also shoots a decent FT %.
Agreed. He’s spelled some quality minutes the last couple games and will be a needed part in the tournament.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ditto, kid gave great minutes yesterday.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Basically wasn't playing until July due to injury. Would be great if he's peaking in time for tourny.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

As has been said any number of times DD is athletically limited. However he brings 3 things every night: energy, effort and intelligence.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Another horrible job by Newsday today. Back page is Bryce Harper which isn’t even a NY story. Then they buried the HU story (if you can even call it that) deep in the paper behind the SBU loss.

Simply pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk