MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:Check out Goldwire's list on verbal..highly unlikely he will select Hofstra
Why? Mostly low mids...think there was one high major but doubt he's going that route.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Some insight to what happens in recruiting sometimes:

The player has a mix of high and mid offers. A couple of them occurred last summer. Those may have been valid for the early signing period. If the player chooses to wait until the late one, that offer may not be a 'take' anymore. Meaning the offer was valid, but that program may have simply filled in the need already, so they have moved on to other areas.

This happens a lot. The recent competition looks to be a landscape that I believe HU can compete with/sell against. And at this stage, I don't think HU is offering someone they think they have no shot with - not enough time to waste for that.

He looks to be a very strong true point. He plays on a super team in Norcross out of GA, top 25 nationally, both with and against some serious P5 talent. I wouldn't say he's a future superstar, but he could be exactly the TYPE of PG that HU's system needs. He is pass first, has a fantastic handle, can slash to the hoop, and hit from deep. Has quick hands on D, and looks to be a 'creator'.

Not a great rebounder, but frankly I don't care about that from the point. I care about creating and dishing, and scoring when necessary. This young man seems to have that ability.

Oh, and yep, he's another 3 star.

He tweeted out thanks and gratefulness for the HU offer with a great pick of a packed Mack - very cool to see. Could be a good sign. If he pays any attention he should understand clearly there is PT up the the wazoo here. Fingers crossed.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

JucoRecruiting.com ‏@JucoRecruiting

Larry McKnight Jr (6'3, G, 2017) of Palm Beach St hearing the most from Albany, UAB, UNC - Greensboro, & Hofstra. Will have 3 years to play
Polito

Post by Polito »

I love the way McKnight plays, like a bull - aggressive and strong, appears to be a great scorer...

But this guy NEVER passes the ball...EVER.

This staff needs to land an IMPACT POINT - that is priority #1. This team doesn't any more players who don't distribute the ball. Land the PG first, then maybe I'll get excited about a scoring only addition.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We need at least 3 impact players for next year. #1 priority is a pass first PG, #2 is a top 4...at least 6-7 who is a scorer, defender and physical presence, #3 could be a big guard like this kid...we need to be more physical and versatile with our roster to "man" up in the CAA. Next year all of our guards, at least for now are small.
garyg

Post by garyg »

They had better land 3 impact players but I have my doubts...hope I am wrong...not seeing much activity for Hofstra in the recruiting circles....hopefully JAM surprises us but things sure appear to be quiet
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nobody knew about a bunch of the kids we were recruiting in the past as well...I think this staff likes to keep it close to the vest with their top targets. Joe has told me before sites like Verbal Commits, etc. don't tell the real story so let's hope so.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I have heard nothing from the guy at the Post, Zach B., and he used to provide some coverage of Hofstra...hopefully staff quietly making inroads with some talented players...
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

We really need to fill most if not all of these scholarships because for 2018 we are going to have 5 available with just graduating seniors.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree HUSID, this staff DEF likes to keep things on the down low, and can't say there's anything wrong with that - probably much to HU's benefit in terms of competition. It's just very annoying to all of us! LOL :lol:

But there are rumblings... know for certain the staff has been actively out there, traveling, and working the trail. They should absolutely work to fill 3 if not all 4 spots, though I have my doubts that will happen.

I would take McKnight for 3 yrs to replace BB at the SG spot. But this team MUST land a TOP FLIGHT PG to lead this program with Buie. An impact stretch 4 has clearly become a MAJOR need as well. Extremely disappointed in the total lack of production or effectiveness there this season.

Really hope Trueheart can make an impact, although if he couldn't even beat out Greer that would not be a good sign (that may not be the case, there could be other factors, just saying IF that is the case then they need a STUD in this class because Greer's play has been a HUGE letdown).

I also wouldn't mind landing a big, but I believe that will come in the '18 class. I think '17 is all about a PG, a S/C/or WG, and a WF.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yep, I think we are all pretty much in agreement regarding recruiting needs.

One thing I'm not crazy about will be using a freshman big (or transfer) to start in 2019. Might not be too bad though, since rest of team should be pretty well experienced.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Trueheart will be a redshirt soph then.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I was thinking of the 5 spot after RG, HS, and AW are all gone
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Maybe we should play with two 6-7, 6-8 athletic type slashers who can go to the hoop and shoot from outside, more athletic...more in the body mold of a Moussa Kone but a more skilled scorer. JUST DREAMING!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID80 wrote:Maybe we should play with two 6-7, 6-8 athletic type slashers who can go to the hoop and shoot from outside, more athletic...more in the body mold of a Moussa Kone but a more skilled scorer. JUST DREAMING!
Works pretty well for golden state. lol
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

How many of those players are on the Hofstra roster. How many in college basketball at the mid major level. let me guess, none :( :cry: :cry:
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Plenty...Koon comes to mind
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Koon not athletic enough to play the 5
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

not looking for 5s...looking for athletic 4s who are versatile
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

OK thats doable. problem is that some CAA teams have tall guards 6ft4 to 6ft7 and we are guarding them with 6ft0 to 6ft2 guards.