MBB Game 1 - @ Princeton, 11/7/22, 7:30 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 1 - @ Princeton, 11/7/22, 7:30 PM

Post by Wags »

They also overcame a lot of foul trouble and 14-FTA (20-6) and 10-FTM (14-4) advantages for Princeton. So, add those to the list of things they overcame tonight. Gutty performance. If they show that type of fight all season, if that kind of perseverance through some trouble spots in games remains consistent, they'll be in good shape this season.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I’ll eat my earlier words on Carlos - two huge 3s in crunch time. Would be huge if he find his shot.

Love what i saw from German. Smart offensive player. Thought he played The best D on their POY. Really liked the emotion he showed as well.

But agree - Marshall was the big surprise. I didn’t even know he was considered in the rotation never mind being the first sub (not counting Tomasco as that was for trouble). Quick off the dribble and strong to the rim. That’s a game that’s usually lacking on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:I’ll eat my earlier words on Carlos - two huge 3s in crunch time. Would be huge if he find his shot.

Love what i saw from German. Smart offensive player. Thought he played The best D on their POY. Really liked the emotion he showed as well.

But agree - Marshall was the big surprise. I didn’t even know he was considered in the rotation never mind being the first sub (not counting Tomasco as that was for trouble). Quick off the dribble and strong to the rim. That’s a game that’s usually lacking on this team.
I didn't like Carlos either last year, and I didn't expect it from him tonight, but hey, credit where it's due. Those two shots were huge.

If they have Mr. Midrange hitting from there, Plotnikov from longer range, Dstone as a threat inside and occasionally from 3, others (if healthy) inside, and then you add some slashing and the ability to drive and get to the rim that Amar'e showed tonight, that's a lot of varied ways to attack. Could be very tough to stop (if all are healthy) as the season progresses and they get to know each other more.
Captain

Post by Captain »

We stole that one!
Totally abused down low.
When we have some additional bigs we obviously would compete better
Once again the guards steal the day.
Estrada is like silk.Marshall was a raging bull. Plotnikov will be a presence.
Carlos clutch.
Speedy’s biggest problem will be keeping all the guards happy. Hope Williams can play vs Iona. Is the freshman big injured?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ESPN Plus stopped working while we trailed in the second half, and I took a break to watch the end of Towson's win. The statistics also stopped, so I wonder if there were technical difficulties at the game causing both problems. Then I watched us come back. Assuming UNCW does not come back to win at North Carolina, the CAA will be 3-4 vs. Division I with the favorite winning every game except for ours. It seemed like we had a lot of turnovers, so I was shocked that we committed only 8. In recent seasons we have been great at avoiding fouls, turnovers, and missed free throws. We could not have missed many free throws in 6 attempts, and we made 4. 20 fouls was bad. Boachie-Yiadom made his only shot, but fouled out in 10 minutes. That contributed to 88 minutes (44 percent) being played by the bench. We had more bench points 34 to 5, and more fast break points 10 to 2. Princeton led continuously for over 30 minutes. We won with our largest lead of the game. We shot well. Princeton shot twos well, but shot threes 5-20, including Langborg's 3-12. ESPN Plus said Kellman became the first Princeton player to make at least 9 field goals without a miss since somebody with a long name in 1974. Last season there were 17 times that a player made at least 9 field goals without a miss. The previous player to do that for or against us was Moussa Kone shooting 10-10 in an 81-57 win at Drexel on February 15, 2015. The Sports-Reference College Basketball Play Index goes back to 2010-2011, and the only Hofstra players to do that during that time were Kone and Ameen Tanksley. Tonight was the first time Hofstra allowed a player to do in that time. Teams were 176-40 (.815) when a player did that from 2010-2011 to 2021-2022. Estrada led us with 32 minutes, which is lower than usual for our leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBV4gsi8ONo is highlights.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Just got home from the game. Estrada was awesome tonight. Princeton really crashed the boards well. NBY was charmin soft today. Got into foul trouble early, has to stay clean early. Carlos came up HUGE tonight. What a great game from German Plotnikov as well. His basketball IQ seems through the roof. Excited to see what he becomes. Hope Warren Williams is ok, and we get word on what kept him out.

Hofstra threw a nice little pregame meetup tonight. Kudos to the Athletic staff on that one. Really cool to start the season off like that.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/11/7/me ... pener.aspx is titled "Clutch Second Half Shooting Lifts Hofstra Over Princeton in Season-Opener."

The CAA went 3-4 vs. Division I. UNCW lost by 13 to beat the spread as a 23 point underdog at Number 1 North Carolina.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I can’t believe that Marshall of all players would come up big for us. I had him tabbed as a walkon and now maybe a diamond in the rough. It’s only one game so shouldn’t get carried away. Also clutch baskets for Carlos. Happy for him and the team giving us plenty of options. He was so disappointing last year. So it becomes very obvious that without Williams we’re in trouble. Does anyone know why Lual didn’t play. Surely he should be higher on the depth chart then Tomasco who I thought was a wing player??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Road wins are nice - whoever/where ever.

SURPRISES -
BENCH - man did they come off (the bench) big - 34 points for non-starters/ with 11 boards/ 5 assists/ 4 steals and 3 blocks/ 2 turnovers
Amar'e Marshall - who are you? where did you come from? Man that was some surprise and I thought he played a nice solid all-around game
German Plotnikov - solid - fundamental sound game - brought his game with energy
DEFENSE thought we moved well around the perimeter - got beat up down low (more so in the 1st half) - missing Williams was big
3's - won this game without relying on our long range shooting (except for a pair of clutch ones by Carlos)

NO SURPRISE -
Aaron Estrada this kid is smooth and cool - lets the game come to him - almost waits until he feels he is needed or it is "his time" - so glad he's back
Darlinstone Dubar still my fav - solid - unassuming - think so much more is in his toolbox - but say that on a night he gives us a double-doudle - so valuable to this team

ON ANOTHER NOTE

we played 10 guys of our 15 man roster (Williams hurt - Farmer and Manyang (assume) are redshirting - Galgano and Best are walk-ons) - so we used everyone available

nice HU showing for an away game - a game in NJ with 4 players in that area (Estrada; Farmer; Tomasco and Marshall) probably helped support HU

thought HU perimeter D moved well - played well versus a Princeton team that moves well with and without the ball - our interior D/our bigmen (NBY and CT; again without Williams) - had 9 of our 20 fouls called on us

thought we handled the ball well - cant think of many bone-head turnovers
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

This is now a roster with all players recruited under Speedy as head coach. I know its only one game but we clearly were playing a different type of game than we have in the past and wonder if this is what Speedy has always wanted to play and now has the guys to do it. Clearly less reliance on three pointers, rotating players in and out, more active defense.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:Does anyone know why Lual didn’t play. Surely he should be higher on the depth chart then Tomasco who I thought was a wing player??
I am guessing with that depth and foul trouble he's going to redshirt
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

daHUPride wrote:Road wins are nice - whoever/where ever.

SURPRISES -
BENCH - man did they come off (the bench) big - 34 points for non-starters/ with 11 boards/ 5 assists/ 4 steals and 3 blocks/ 2 turnovers
Amar'e Marshall - who are you? where did you come from? Man that was some surprise and I thought he played a nice solid all-around game
German Plotnikov - solid - fundamental sound game - brought his game with energy
DEFENSE thought we moved well around the perimeter - got beat up down low (more so in the 1st half) - missing Williams was big
3's - won this game without relying on our long range shooting (except for a pair of clutch ones by Carlos)

NO SURPRISE -
Aaron Estrada this kid is smooth and cool - lets the game come to him - almost waits until he feels he is needed or it is "his time" - so glad he's back
Darlinstone Dubar still my fav - solid - unassuming - think so much more is in his toolbox - but say that on a night he gives us a double-doudle - so valuable to this team

ON ANOTHER NOTE

we played 10 guys of our 15 man roster (Williams hurt - Farmer and Manyang (assume) are redshirting - Galgano and Best are walk-ons) - so we used everyone available

nice HU showing for an away game - a game in NJ with 4 players in that area (Estrada; Farmer; Tomasco and Marshall) probably helped support HU

thought HU perimeter D moved well - played well versus a Princeton team that moves well with and without the ball - our interior D/our bigmen (NBY and CT; again without Williams) - had 9 of our 20 fouls called on us

thought we handled the ball well - cant think of many bone-head turnovers
Was also pleasantly surprised with the perimeter D, much better than years past
Cards

Post by Cards »

I recall that in one of the early season workout pictures, Manyang had a boot on. He has not had it on for a while, but may still be recovering. If he had an Achilles injury, he likely will be out for the season. If it was something else, maybe its not as serious and hopefully he is at least working out and getting into game shape. If healthy soon, I think he needs to get playing time so that he can take over the 5 spot next season. If he sits out this year due to injury, gets no real workout/playing time, his schedule will be put back a year and Speedy will have to find another one and done big for next season.

Personally, I would love to see him play so that moving forward we get some certainty at the 5.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:This is now a roster with all players recruited under Speedy as head coach. I know its only one game but we clearly were playing a different type of game than we have in the past and wonder if this is what Speedy has always wanted to play and now has the guys to do it. Clearly less reliance on three pointers, rotating players in and out, more active defense.
Great Points HM - I hope that continues "less reliance on three pointers, rotating players in and out, more active defense" ... would love to use a deep bench - that plays aggressive D - and scores 2's - 3's - whatever!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

What I like about this game was the lockdown D in the last two minutes of both halves. The players on this roster seem to have a high basketball IQ and are more complete players. With Estrada I think he is underrated as a passer. When the double team comes he knows where to dish the rock. Saw several backdoor cuts for easy baskets. Like the ball movement but still they allow Estrada to create his own shot.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Super season opening road W against a very good mid major team with the best player in the Ivy - did not expect it frankly, so this was awesome - AE is poised for a national level year, came out of the gate on FIRE! Dude is so patient and calculated looks like he’s playing with people at times just planning the attack knowing he can’t be stopped

Is it true he has another year of eligibility???

Great points made here, very pleased to hear about the D and not just relying on 3’s

Love that Plotnikov seems a player - was. HU I stud so having him boost the team would be great

Pretty shocked about Marshall, very cool to see, but going to hold until I see that consistently

Also surprised to hear do little about Dubai and Barrouk - hope that changes

Obviously concerned about the post with basically only one guy at the right level - but they did enough - will be great to have Williams in this lineup

And how about that JC baby! Said don’t sleep on him - kid has talent, just needs to continue to develop - now he still has to play up on a consistent basis, but very glad to see the doubters back to give initial deserved praise!

But no nitpicking here, this was a great win, kudos to the team for kicking this off right!