MBB Roster for 2022-23

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Roster for 2022-23

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:I pity our redshirt freshmen. They sat all last year and probably won't see much action this year unless someone gets hurt.
IDK how you can say that not really seeing any of these guys play. Tomasco I figured would be a work project but Barrouk if he wasn't injured he might have seen some action because we had so many injuries to our guards on and off. He's also known as a scorer especially from beyond the ARC and has size at 6'5. I get it that these guys are out of sight and out of mind but maybe not this year??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HU87 wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:This is all well and good. It assumes we will not add another player or that one or two listed may not be returning.

My guess is that we add an experienced PG, almost like a Cooks for a one and done year.
Classically, HUSID knows or sniffs things out a bit earlier than most. I read this and immediately thought to myself "Carlos is transferring." Not saying that's what HUSID meant to imply... it's just not VERY hard to believe (and would be super unfortunate!).
HU87, I need not imply that Carlos is transferring...in fact it appears as though he has been given the reins for this year's team based upon the Burgess exit, etc.
My sense is that Speedy would want to have another true point guard on this roster so I don't believe the recruiting is done for the year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree with HUSID. I don't think they are done. And I think we will see JC get the real chance to show he's the guy. Pulling for him.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Agree with HUSID. I don't think they are done. And I think we will see JC get the real chance to show he's the guy. Pulling for him.
Yes he will get that chance almost by default but fingers crossed lets hope he makes the most of it. Really would like to see him succeed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Saw some concern here (not sure which thread) about Estrada throwing his name into the mix for the NBA draft (even though we knew it was likely he'd ultimately withdraw and return to HU). Now it's official, he'll be back:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 2060326916
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks Wags - the only right move for him.

Estrada, and HU, R E A L L Y need to make the dance.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I didn’t realize he was in the portal. That’s a big loss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:
I didn’t realize he was in the portal. That’s a big loss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch talk about getting blindsided or were they. I wonder how much the staff knew about this? Now Manyang really will have a trial by fire but who will they get to help at this position. I didn't anticipate this happening.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It certainly seems rather evident at the moment the pickup of Boachie-Yiadom looms large as he can help us in the post but he's ONLY 6'8. What will be the gameplan?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I had heard lyiola was looking to go pro as he needed money for his family. Staff was aware of this and has been beating the bushes looking to add another big but its really late in the game...this was about two or three weeks ago so hopefully there will be some news soon.

Triplec, 6-8 and strong is not so terrible, Manyang will certainly get more minutes...met him at the Pride outing and he is HUGE! And, I beleive the staff will add another BIG...stay tuned!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:I had heard lyiola was looking to go pro as he needed money for his family. Staff was aware of this and has been beating the bushes looking to add another big but its really late in the game...this was about two or three weeks ago so hopefully there will be some news soon.

Triplec, 6-8 and strong is not so terrible, Manyang will certainly get more minutes...met him at the Pride outing and he is HUGE! And, I beleive the staff will add another BIG...stay tuned!
Yeah I hear you and getting 17+ minutes for a very good Davidson team does speak volumes. We will be questionable at this position coming out of the gate but we'll improve as the season moves on. Hopefully they get another backup.
garyg

Post by garyg »

so late....what could be left out there ???????
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Four schools in five years (Stetson, Arkansas, Hofstra, K-State). Is that a record? :?
HU87

Post by HU87 »

This is pretty tough. We'll survive, but it was nice to finally have some depth and opportunity at the position. I think CAA we'll still match up well, but I'm less excited about playing 7'4" Zach Edey and Purdue now lol.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /zach-edey
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:
Four schools in five years (Stetson, Arkansas, Hofstra, K-State). Is that a record? :?
Unfortunately this is the new reality in college sports...free agency...I believe that's why so many name coaches are leaving the game. It's now almost impossible to build and grow a team with kids committed for the long haul.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Agreed Sid. Maybe Boachie-Yiadem starts initially with the freshman working his way in. Maybe the frosh will make an immediate splash. This is the CAA and guards generally rule anyway. Hoping the freshman becomes the best big Hofstra has ever had.
The depth chart was just challenged. Hope Tomasco is working his tail off in the gym and on the court. Opportunities abound.
Hope the kid from PA. who broke his ankle can shoot lights out for some instant offense. I think with our good coaching, we have some untapped potential in house and of course the capable veteran transfers we got. I like the team we have assembled.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Rothstein reporting 1,000 point scorer Warren Williams of Manhattan is transferring to Hofstra.

https://gojaspers.com/sports/mens-baske ... liams/8245
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

CTDutch wrote:Rothstein reporting 1,000 point scorer Warren Williams of Manhattan is transferring to Hofstra.

Terrific replacement for our latest departure. May even be an upgrade depending on next seasons system. Nice work speedy.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

BringBackFootball wrote:
CTDutch wrote:Rothstein reporting 1,000 point scorer Warren Williams of Manhattan is transferring to Hofstra.

Terrific replacement for our latest departure. May even be an upgrade depending on next seasons system. Nice work speedy.
Daly agrees with you -

Jaden Daly
@DalyDoseOfHoops
HUGE pickup for Speedy, and an upgrade over Iyiola, IMO. And so the Pride and Jaspers complete their offseason trade…Omar Silverio for Warren Williams