Other Tournaments

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: Other Tournaments

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ZMAN3 wrote:And further research reveals - ALL OTHER GAMES (Other than Semi's and Final) on FLO HOOPS - All NIT games are not TV'd
Nobody treats the CBI as anything legit. As was asked before, if tourney is so meaningful why no banners for when we played in it in 2010, 2011 and 2015? Have no inside information but my guess is we made clear we weren't interested and hence why no invite. Unless is the NIT, a loss in CAA finals means it is time to move forward and focus on next year.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Big deal about posting a banner - and those were fledgling years of the tourney. The CBI is growing as evidenced by the venue and TV contract. Everything takes time to grow (expanded playoffs in ALL 4 MAJOR SPORTS as well as the NCAA and NIT Tourneys (which were 8 teams when they started). We should be playing like the other 132 other teams. It's possible our recent rejections caused a lack of invitation. I'll seek some answers.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just a quick mention of the NIT where Towson a team we couldn't beat gets routed pretty much by Wake Forest who had a 21 point lead at halftime. Sound familiar. Wake Forest a 2 seed beats Towson by 10 a 7 seed. WF 23-8 coming in and in 5th place in the ACC. I guess this is partially the reason that the CAA doesn't get all that much respect.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just a quick mention of this CBI tourney tomorrow UNCW plays VMI. Somehow VMI is an 8 seed while UNCW is a 9? VMI 16-15 vs UNCW 23-9. We're in a better conference. Maybe I have the seeds wrong? VMI 165 in the NET uncw 175 maybe that's the answer?? IDK if you can make a case for playing in this tourney but I do see both sides here.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Z, I agree that HU is not above anything - sadly. That's been proven.

But I'm sorry, these are joke tournaments - the W should be ashamed of themselves, they have more pedigree than HU. The CBI isn't growing, it has no national relevance, minimal interest at best even from the programs playing in it, and it's a waste of time. I do not know one single person who even knows it's happening, much less who's in it or where. I literally could not care less about them.

I just watched the NIT on ESPN today. Texas A&M beat up on Oregon. The NIT still gets a share of the shine. It's definitely less of course than it used to be, but it has a storied history and garners high quality teams that just missed the dance. And it remains the only 'other' tournament that matters an ounce.

I have zero interest in watching HU play in those others. And the odds are the players wouldn't care (based on what we've seen in the past) and would lose anyway - and losing in one of those tournaments is awful.

I'd like to see Speedy and this staff get their ish together and course correct this program instead of getting bounced in their first game of the mediocre CAAT.

(I know its not really an either / or, just stating where my focus is)
Wags

Post by Wags »

I think there's always some benefit to taking a trip together and winning a tournament if you can, for returning players. And, agree, HU isn't above any of these tourneys *even though I'm with others here in regarding anything outside of the NCAAT or NIT barely worth hanging a banner for). Even from a bonding perspective to help for next year, it's good, if nothing else.

But given that three guys in a rotation of 8-9 entered the transfer portal and give HU's track record of hardly bothering to show up in such tourneys (the IUPUI and Vermont losses on their home floor), it's probably best that they didn't bother with those tourneys this year even if they had been invited (which it sounds like they weren't). And if they weren't invited, I'd be more concerned about that after winning 21 games than if they had turned those tourneys down.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I think Speedy/Coles thought the team did all it could do this year, and no need to prolong the agony, if it indeed was their option to choose. The chemistry was not great, and I sense that this team was done, especially after the performance in the CAA's. Sorry to say, I think if the group had any fight left in it, they would be playing in a in lesser tourny. This team packed it in. Hope I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Boy, we treat this last season as a DISASTER on these boards! We win more than 20 games, beat a Sweet 16 team, Arkansas and find two players who will be real good for us over the next couple of years in Estrada and Dubar.

Sure we all want BETTER fellas, but the foundation for greater success is in place IMO...Speedy will be better in his second year and I KNOW he will recruit better players to replace who left/graduated.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID80 wrote:Boy, we treat this last season as a DISASTER on these boards! We win more than 20 games, beat a Sweet 16 team, Arkansas and find two players who will be real good for us over the next couple of years in Estrada and Dubar.

Sure we all want BETTER fellas, but the foundation for greater success is in place IMO...Speedy will be better in his second year and I KNOW he will recruit better players to replace who left/graduated.
A couple of things. First, I think we actually played worse as the year went on. Second, this was not a tight group, and that might be the downside to the rent-a-player type mentality the transfer portal breeds. Third, I agree the aforementioned will be great, and I haven't given up on Carlos. However, we clearly need some size down low- this year's version was much too small- I suspect the Brain Trust had enough of them. I am optimistic for the future, however, this year's group was less than inspiring.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Speedy will be better in his second year and I KNOW he will recruit better players to replace who left/graduated.
I would trust in both of these things, especially the latter since there's already a bit of a track record with that. Only one year under Speedy. Have to give it some time.

I just hope they learned about the approach for the CAA tourney. The way they seemed to approach that game is puzzling for a team that approached the games at Houston, Maryland, and Arkansas like they were games in March. The way they seemed to approach the CAA quarterfinal game (especially defensively) was like it was a regular-season road game in January.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:
HUSID80 wrote: Speedy will be better in his second year and I KNOW he will recruit better players to replace who left/graduated.
I would trust in both of these things, especially the latter since there's already a bit of a track record with that. Only one year under Speedy. Have to give it some time.

I just hope they learned about the approach for the CAA tourney. The way they seemed to approach that game is puzzling for a team that approached the games at Houston, Maryland, and Arkansas like they were games in March. The way they seemed to approach the CAA quarterfinal game (especially defensively) was like it was a regular-season road game in January.
Wags I agree with your assessment of our approach to the CAA Tourney. Seemed like no sense of urgency of PRIDE in our performance...very puzzling.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:
Wags wrote:

Wags I agree with your assessment of our approach to the CAA Tourney. Seemed like no sense of urgency of PRIDE in our performance...very puzzling.
I would say it was overconfidence from beating the same team the game before and sweeping the regular-season series from them, but I don't see how it could have been since both wins over Charleston were very close and I'm pretty sure they knew the challenge they had before them in trying to beat Charleston for a third time. Yet right from the start, they played like they took it for granted that they belonged in the semis instead of actually earning that spot in the quarters.
Wags

Post by Wags »

9th-seeded UNCW rallied from a 50-28 second-half deficit to beat top-seeded Drake, 76-75, in the CBI.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It's good we represent this conference in a positive fashion. Kudos to UNCW.
Wags

Post by Wags »

UNCW reached CBI finals with an 80-64 win over Northern Colorado on ESPN2 tonight. They'll play the winner of MTSU/ACU (starting on ESPN2 now) for the title. We can belittle those tourneys all we want (I don't like them either), but I know people would be happy on this board tonight if Hofstra had reached the CBI finals on ESPN2.

St. Bonaventure earned an NIT semifinal trip to MSG with a 52-51 win at Virginia on ESPN tonight. 48 of their 52 points from starters, 88% of their minutes and 90% of their points from starters this season.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags quote; UNCW reached CBI finals with an 80-64 win over Northern Colorado on ESPN2 tonight. They'll play the winner of MTSU/ACU (starting on ESPN2 now) for the title. We can belittle those tourneys all we want (I don't like them either), but I know people would be happy on this board tonight if Hofstra had reached the CBI finals on ESPN2. Have to agree with this getting exposure on TV and winning!!
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Considering the fact that game is played on ESPN2 and we likely had a real shot at playing in it, yet we are sitting at home, the decision for me is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

dutchalum01 wrote:Considering the fact that game is played on ESPN2 and we likely had a real shot at playing in it, yet we are sitting at home, the decision for me is easy.

ESPN2 at 5 p.m. is hardly prime time viewing although always good to get national TV exposure. I still have zero issue with not taking part in a joke tourney where you have to pay to compete though.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:Considering the fact that game is played on ESPN2 and we likely had a real shot at playing in it, yet we are sitting at home, the decision for me is easy.

ESPN2 at 5 p.m. is hardly prime time viewing although always good to get national TV exposure. I still have zero issue with not taking part in a joke tourney where you have to pay to compete though.
Are those a pay to play tournament? If so, I retract my statement on wanting to play in it. If however travel, accommodations and entry is paid by tournament, count me in. I suppose that’s definitely a stretch and wouldn’t be the case.

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

dutchalum01 wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:

Are those a pay to play tournament? If so, I retract my statement on wanting to play in it. If however travel, accommodations and entry is paid by tournament, count me in. I suppose that’s definitely a stretch and wouldn’t be the case.

Yes is a $50,000 entry fee