Northeastern @ MBB, Saturday, Feb. 19, 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Northeastern @ MBB, Saturday, Feb. 19, 2 PM

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/2/19/me ... h-day.aspx is titled "MBB: Hofstra Rallies To Defeat Northeastern On Joe Mihalich Day." https://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?pat ... l&id=11487 is the box score. The attendance was 2,556. That's above our average, but it would be nice to average 3,000 and get 4,000 on special weekends when we're good. https://nuhuskies.com/news/2022/2/19/me ... 76-73.aspx is titled "Hofstra Stuns Northeastern Late, 76-73."

Edit: Delaware won 73-69 at W&M, Towson came back to win 80-77 at Charleston, and Drexel won 71-60 at Elon. Delaware's Kevin Anderson and Jyare Davis tied for the most points on either team with 16. Delaware also got 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 assists from Jameer Nelson Jr. Drexel led by 22 with 10:49 left. Charleston's Dimitrius Underwood led all players with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Towson had Nicolas Timberlake score 19, Charles Thompson score 17, and 26 of 36 were in the second half. Charleston led 41-34 at halftime. Elon's Darius Burford led all CAA players so far with 31 points, which was a majoirty of Elon's points. He and Hunter McIntosh are close for the team scoring lead, and McIntosh was Elon's second highest player with 9. Drexel had balanced scoring with Melik Martin, Xavier Bell, and Coletrane Washington scoring 12; and Camren Wynter and Amari Williams scoring 10. Wynter had 4 assists, so Estrada expanded his CAA assists lead. Charleston's Reyne Smith made 1 of 2 free throws, which let Estrada keep the CAA free throw percentage lead. Before Smith played, he and Estrada were 62-66. All three players in CAA day games to score at least 22 did it in losses, as Burford scored 31, and Northeastern's Jahmyl Telfort and Chris Doherty scoring 22.

It would have been a great day if Towson lost. Delaware's win is good if we have a two-way tie with UNCW and Delaware passes or ties Towson. JMU is at UNCW today and then plays Towson on Wednesday and Saturday, so we will root for JMU in their last three CAA regular season games.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Pride97 wrote:Cooks basically won that game on his own on both sides of the ball. What an effort!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooks - was big at the end.

This was a bad HU showing - with great finish.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ok I have another idea
Let me know what you guys think
Instead of giving a game ball to the mvp of the game, In honor of Joe we should have the mvp wear the golden Jacket.
Not exactly like the green jacket of the Masters but it will be something Hofstra should embrace.
Polito

Post by Polito »

So happy to see this W from the team for Joe! Wasn't able to be there, but followed via Twitter - rough showing overall, but they came through in the end when it mattered with a super comeback - Cooks bucket was a thing of beauty, BIG TIME move, kid can really play, difference maker, esp when he plays for and within the team

Bad start, but it was really really great to see Ray and Cooks play at least a half well together - bottom line, they fought back to win at home on a special day to keep the momentum going

Loved seeing the 'Joe jacket' theme, nice touch, and really cool - kudos to HU and the team, and a great day to honor JM, hope he had a great time

The time for style points and winning in a certain 'way' is past, this late in the season it's ALL about winning - just win, that's it

Onward and upward, this kinda stuff is frustrating but it hopefully forges the steel in them, let's keep fighting, get this into the CAAT, and then it's the real GAME TIME
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Delete
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Sorry, but I thought they looked stupid. Players (and staff) were probably embarrassed. I know I was. They looked like clowns. I couldn't believe they wore them all game. I kept hoping, enough already, take off the ridiculous shirts.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

STOP!!!!!That jacket is ICONIC…IT was a great tribute to Joe…loved it and very creative!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

On to the game…what a great comeback for us! This was a trap game and we looked like losers until the very end…we made plays down the stretch like winning teams do and Northeastern blew the game like losing teams do…disappointed BT the lack of energy in the Mack…what will it take to energize this fan base?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Today's comeback was the second of its kind for Hofstra in the past six seasons.

Today, Hofstra was down 8 and closed 11-0 over the final 1:12.
On 2/4/17, Hofstra, down 10, closed 12-0 over the final :57.

Spoke to Pemberton about these comebacks after the game today. Ever humble, he pointed to Bernardi's key 3-pointer during the run in that 2017 game, but it was Pemberton's 3-pointer that started the 12-0 run.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Pemberton a class act. Thought you would ask about his 80 footer at JMU vs. Estradas 75 footer at Elon.
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:

Sorry, but I thought they looked stupid. Players (and staff) were probably embarrassed. I know I was. They looked like clowns. I couldn't believe they wore them all game. I kept hoping, enough already, take off the ridiculous shirts.
How could you be embarrassed by it? It's college basketball, it's supposed to be light-hearted and fun, and as HUSID said, very creative. The camel hair blazer was Joe's thing. I'm sure he thought it was fun and loved it. Don't be the "Get off my lawn!" guy with this. Lighten up.

C'mon, how do these pics not make you at least smile? :)
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 4242736129
Last edited by Wags on Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe dont be a "Karen". Just enjoy the moment.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Pemberton a class act. Thought you would ask about his 80 footer at JMU vs. Estradas 75 footer at Elon.
Ugh, you're right! I should have asked about that too! But after a comeback like that, I could only think of the parallel with that Drexel game. But you're right, he was and always will be a class act. He said he's still working hard with Santa Cruz. Hope he can do something.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

It's just they looked so uncool in them. Really it made them look ridiculous-like those 70s fake tuxedo shirts. I honestly thought they were going to take them off after the ceremony. It kind of goes against the whole classy image of most of the things the team wears. Speedy is always very sharp looking. Notice he wasn't wearing it in the presser. My whole point is, yeah, I get the joke, but don't make them wear it the whole game because it looks silly. Bush league. You wouldn't see Duke or Michigan or UCLA wearing that for a whole game.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:On to the game…what a great comeback for us! This was a trap game and we looked like losers until the very end…we made plays down the stretch like winning teams do and Northeastern blew the game like losing teams do…disappointed BT the lack of energy in the Mack…what will it take to energize this fan base?
The Lion's Den was good again today though. I think they might've caused Doherty (who had the game of his career today) to miss that huge FT before Cooks' game-winner.

Why is it that so many players seem to have season-best or career-best games against HU? May be something for the staff to look at.

UNCW needed OT to get past JMU by one at home today. The league is tough. No one backs down, even the last-place team. Just win, be in the mix for the title and try to get it. Hofstra is in that position right now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:It's just they looked so uncool in them. Really it made them look ridiculous-like those 70s fake tuxedo shirts. I honestly thought they were going to take them off after the ceremony. It kind of goes against the whole classy image of most of the things the team wears. Speedy is always very sharp looking. Notice he wasn't wearing it in the presser. My whole point is, yeah, I get the joke, but don't make them wear it the whole game because it looks silly. Bush league. You wouldn't see Duke or Michigan or UCLA wearing that for a whole game.
Fair enough, I get what you're saying. And we are all entitled to our opinions, just like mine is that you're making way too much of this and that I think most thought it was a fun thing. But think what you want.

Remember the era we are in now though. Ever since last year, with Covid, the suits are gone in college and in the NBA. It's possible that Speedy and the staff would've worn suits on a day like today, pre-Covid. But with the suits no longer a thing, they figured just keep the Joe t-shirts on. You may be right about top-level programs not doing that type of thing the whole game pre-Covid, but today they might. I'll send an example if I can find one. Might already be out there.

It's also a good rallying thing - just another thing to help keep the team and staff together. We know Joe meant a lot to them, what he still does, and always will mean to them. Hard to blame them for that choice. Personally, I loved it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The top five in the CAA are on a combined 16-game winning streak (UNCW W1, Towson W4, Hofstra W6, Delaware W3, Drexel W2).

The bottom five in the CAA are on a combined 17-game losing streak (Charleston L2, JMU L1, Elon L4, W&M L7, Northeastern L3).
Wags

Post by Wags »

On the same day as HU's comeback today, NC Central did this, with ironically, a player named Justin Wright (no -Foreman though), sending it to OT:
https://twitter.com/NCAABuzzerBters/sta ... 7267817472
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

What a great game. Just saw the replay of the game on Flo. Was so nice to see Joe get honored. Loved that Eli and Buie came back also.

I liked that even some of the children brought signs to the game. Old school stuff right there. Kids will be kids. Hope The Macka is packed for the remaining home games. This was a great game for a new student to go to and maybe get hooked