Transfers and Other Player News

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: Transfers and Other Player News

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Just a few things here we should include Bethea in the guard conversation as much as I Know very little about him and he didn't show much the few minutes that he did play. Say or think what you want about Burgess but he's going to get minutes this year he has experience working for him and can dish the ball. His shooting improved as the year went on although I believe that Cooks starts all day here at the PG. I know we like to think of Carlos as a SUPERMAN but the reality of it is that he will have to make adjustments at this level and playing D could be his Achilles heal. As for the 4, Cramer and Dubar will share minutes here as both are developing their outside game but will help us rebounding and blocking shots. I don't think Dubar is a guard IMO he's similar to Cramer in his game except I don't know about his vertical leaping ability. We're thin at the 5 agreed but will get by here. I do believe that Simmons is a lot better player then his stats show if given the minutes and yes I believe that Tomasco does redshirt but could be a diamond in the rough. He appears to be a decent shooter beyond the ARC.
I agree with you triple2195
I am a big fan of BURGESS - I just wonder if Cook takes away to many minutes and IF redshirting makes any sense - but I love his size and development - big fan of BURGESS
DUBAR - I dont know much about - assume he starts - what I know is probably inline with what you say less of a guard more of a forward (Pemberton-esque???)
TOMASCO - is certainly an project and a strong redshirt candidate

Clearly hear what you r saying about Burgess but this is going to be some major competitive practicing with guys going at each other looking to earn themselves minutes. A lot of good players on this roster who have proven bodies of work. So daHUPRIDE you feel that Dubar could start over Cramer?? You have guys who are used to playing major minutes like Ray and Cooks and who should be playing major minutes. Cramer only played an average of 27 minutes partially due to Green starting in the beginning of the year but also because he got into foul trouble. I don't think that Dubar starts over Cramer but maybe picks up minutes at both the 3&4. Like you said what happens to Burgess 33 plus minutes clearly he won't be getting those kind of minutes. Both Tomasco and Barrouk probably will redshirt have to wait to see how it plays out. We should be getting a lot more contributions on this team from whoever comes off the bench not like last year.
NO! Cramer is a LOCK to start.

In a way to early prediction

STARTERS BACKUP

G Cooks
> G. Carlos
G Ray
> G. Vasquez
G Dubar
> G/F Estrada
F Cramer
> F. Simmons
F Iyiola

Other then our returning players (Ray/Cramer) I dont have a lot to validate my thoughts - other then what Ive read/hear about these newcomers
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes Ray and Cramer and you have to figure Cooks at the point and Iyiola at the 5. Where does that leave everyone else?? Dubar will get his minutes coming in for Cramer and playing the wing but who replaces Coburn? I really believe that Estrada starts at the 3 just based on his resume but maybe you're right about Dubar. Estrada is a proven scorer and will make a strong push to start. Offense should not be a problem. Figuring out who places where is a nice problem to have with a lot of talent here.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

I think Estrada is going to look great as a playmaking 3 -- at St. Peter's he drew a lot of fouls, could really pass the ball, high-usage guy. Then at Oregon it looks like they asked him to stand in the corner (3pt rate way up, usage way down, foul-drawing way down).

Dubar should get plenty of swing backup minutes at the 3/4, given our lack of wing size beyond Cramer. I'm not convinced Simmons is a rotation guy, but we'll see.

The battle for backup guard minutes is going to be the real focus...nothing indicates Cooks is a real PG -- he is there to get buckets. He and Ray still have to be the starter guards. I still really like Burgess as a floor-general defensive guard and as the only true pass-first guard on the whole team. Vasquez, Silverio, Bethea and Carlos...going to be an absolute dogfight for that remaining time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

RollPride15 wrote:I think Estrada is going to look great as a playmaking 3 -- at St. Peter's he drew a lot of fouls, could really pass the ball, high-usage guy. Then at Oregon it looks like they asked him to stand in the corner (3pt rate way up, usage way down, foul-drawing way down).

Dubar should get plenty of swing backup minutes at the 3/4, given our lack of wing size beyond Cramer. I'm not convinced Simmons is a rotation guy, but we'll see.

The battle for backup guard minutes is going to be the real focus...nothing indicates Cooks is a real PG -- he is there to get buckets. He and Ray still have to be the starter guards. I still really like Burgess as a floor-general defensive guard and as the only true pass-first guard on the whole team. Vasquez, Silverio, Bethea and Carlos...going to be an absolute dogfight for that remaining time.
Good point about Burgess and his tenacious D but you have to feel that everyone on the court now will require attention especially Ray and Cooks. With Cooks getting that attention he will pick up assists especially with guys around him that can score the ball. I believe that whatever are starting 5 will be everyone could realistically be scoring in double digits. That will be a problem for opposing defenses. Also a tidbit on both Cooks and Estrada that their prior stats show that they're both good FT shooters Cooks in the 70's and Estrada upper 80's. Our poor FT shooting hurt us in games last year with both Cramer and Burgess. Cramer 43% and Burgess 58%.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote: I agree with you triple2195
I am a big fan of BURGESS - I just wonder if Cook takes away to many minutes and IF redshirting makes any sense - but I love his size and development - big fan of BURGESS
DUBAR - I dont know much about - assume he starts - what I know is probably inline with what you say less of a guard more of a forward (Pemberton-esque???)
TOMASCO - is certainly an project and a strong redshirt candidate

Clearly hear what you r saying about Burgess but this is going to be some major competitive practicing with guys going at each other looking to earn themselves minutes. A lot of good players on this roster who have proven bodies of work. So daHUPRIDE you feel that Dubar could start over Cramer?? You have guys who are used to playing major minutes like Ray and Cooks and who should be playing major minutes. Cramer only played an average of 27 minutes partially due to Green starting in the beginning of the year but also because he got into foul trouble. I don't think that Dubar starts over Cramer but maybe picks up minutes at both the 3&4. Like you said what happens to Burgess 33 plus minutes clearly he won't be getting those kind of minutes. Both Tomasco and Barrouk probably will redshirt have to wait to see how it plays out. We should be getting a lot more contributions on this team from whoever comes off the bench not like last year.
NO! Cramer is a LOCK to start.

In a way to early prediction

STARTERS BACKUP

G Cooks
> G. Carlos
G Ray
> G. Vasquez
G Dubar
> G/F Estrada
F Cramer
> F. Simmons
F Iyiola

Other then our returning players (Ray/Cramer) I dont have a lot to validate my thoughts - other then what Ive read/hear about these newcomers
Where does Burgess fit in here? And what about the other frosh?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojo this is what we're all trying to wrap our heads around and maybe a double edged sword for the coaches. A luxury that most coaches would like to have. Does Burgess become the first guard off the bench to replace Cooks or does Carlos impress everyone enough to be getting substantial minutes at the point. Speedy has already set the priorities from day one that the emphasis will be on DEFENSE so any player not up to snuff playing D could lose playing time as a result. Thinking outside the box like last year where everyone thought that Elmo would be the starting PG and Burgess flat out prevailed what if Burgess beats out Cooks? It doesn't sound likely but stranger things have happened here. It certainly could happen that Burgess comes in and gets minutes at the 2 guard for Ray but he's going to have to prove he can hit the outside shot and also improve on his FT shooting. A guard who can't shoot FT's is a definite liability. What's the status of Barrouk will he be cleared to play or will he have to redshirt. He's an x-factor type of kid who can give you points even playing limited minutes. Lots of food for thought and it's good that some of us are starting to feel the fever of getting back to watch some college hoops again hopefully with a whole new look and new coached philosophy.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There have been plenty of posts involving players in the CAA transferring to another CAA school. Relying on my memory only I'll say that my recollection was that it's frowned upon and doesn't happen because a player would have to sit out an inordinate amount of time or something along those lines. Let me bring everyone's attention to a player named Joe Pridgen who transferred originally from Holy Cross to UNCW after playing his freshman year there and was rookie of the year averaging 17.4 points a game. Last year he played for UNCW AVERAGING 11 pts. a game only playing in 7 games. I'm imagining now that I look at UNCW's schedule that they had so many games cancelled that they could only play 7 games?? Well anyway I see Joe now on Northeastern's roster apparently having transferred there and will be eligible to play right away. Something seems wrong here and precedent setting. We could use Evan around to investigate this and whether it has happened before??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

IDK How some of you feel about Isaac Kante on the transfer portal. I was under the impression he was going pro not looking to continue his college basketball career at another school. What's the take on this move?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:IDK How some of you feel about Isaac Kante on the transfer portal. I was under the impression he was going pro not looking to continue his college basketball career at another school. What's the take on this move?
That's what he said himself back in May. Did he change his mind and now hofstra is out of scholarships?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

He has told people he was not playing basketball because he needed to eran money to take care of his family. This is a major reversal of that decision. Disappointing that he has chosen to look elsewhere although it is not inconceivable that he returns, although highly doubtful.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Maybe he changed his mind after the NCAA issued that new rule allowing student-athletes to get paid.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Boy I'd like to be a fly on the wall when our coaching staff found out about this and the discussion it led to. We kind of felt we were losing Coburn so he could pursue his profession but what's up with this move. I wonder how some of us feel the trade off will play out Iyiola vs Kante staying for his last year. Is this more or less of a wash because these players are very different players. Kante a physical rebounder who can score in the paint and Iyiola a shot blocker who has more range in his jump shot.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Coburn and Kante both graduated. They are free to move on.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Guess we will see where he ends up playing. He could just be keeping all of his options open by entering the transfer portal.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Would I LOVE to have Coburn and Kante (I'd take Truehart) back - HELL YES!

Do I get why they'd look to leave - although they have another year of Hofstra eligibility - yeah!

And if they can get an advanced degree - while playing somewhere other then here - Gog Bless.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Eh not that thrilled with that news from Kante

But they did both finish undergrad so it’s certainly common for guys to seek grad elsewhere as needed - just would’ve been amazing to have him here with Ray

Things change I suppose - he can certainly do whatever he chooses - but HU literally made him - he was a no factor at UGA, a literal unknown who would’ve never seen the floor in any meaningful way there - so I hope this is all above board when it comes to HU and that he has been fully transparent and in line with this staff, as they deserve

If so, then all the best to him, and I hope he lands in a great place to continue to showcase what HU helped develop in him
cactus
Site Admin

Re: 2021-2022 Roster

Post by cactus »

Kante announced his transfer to LIU Brooklyn today.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Feels bizarre, huge step down in competition -- maybe a case where he thought there was a pro opportunity lined up, fell through, and then HU didn't have the scholarships left for him to return? Don't know enough about how the technicalities of a player who has graduated/officially moved on trying to return, or maybe he wasn't interested. Just seemed like he left on good terms, so it's confusing.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Very strange and disappointing...he should dominate there. Me thinks he got bad advice, thinking he would go Power 5, then no offers...gled he didn't go to Iona or worse yet Stony Brook.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is just mind blowing how you know what you have but clearly don't know what you will wind up with. He was trying to go pro but in the meantime HU goes out and gets two post players then when his pro aspirations doesn't pan out he has burned his bridges(innocently) with no malice but can't come back here. I'm sure he regrets this decision in 20/20 hindsight and wishes he would have stayed the course. As far as scholarships are concerned he was getting a scholarship here that wasn't going to count towards the 13 max I believe but this is more of a awkward place for him because he could've come back here but his position had already been accounted for. I'm sure he wasn't going to come back knowing that we had promised playing time to two other transfers. Do people agree with this assessment of the situation??