Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: Coaching search

Post by HofstraMathew »

Speedy is definitely a top recruiter. Jury is still out on his coaching ability. So I think it will be important to have an experienced top assistant or two on his staff. Ideally one that is a former head coash.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Not impressed. Hope he does well obviously, but I think we could have opened the search up more. Seems like the easy hire and not the right hire. I am sure people will bash me for saying this. Pin this post when we are searching for a new coach in 3 years though.
I certainly hope he does well. But if it doesn’t work out, it’ll be tough having to part ways with one of our most notable alums like that.

Adam Zagoria is reporting it on Forbes as well.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... ssion=true
This is the one bad thing about it. Is he getting this opportunity at the right time? No more JWF, Buie, Pemberton, and now, not even Ray or Coburn (depending on what happens with them and the extra year stuff). So, he could be walking into a tough situation, one that might take a while to build up to prominence again. And then, it becomes... what kind of leash do you allow? "It's Speedy, you have to give him a chance!" vs. "HU can't wait, Speedy or otherwise, they need to start winning." None of that needs to be decided right away, but it could in as little as 3 years or so. Would really suck if they had to fire him. I'm hoping he can grow old with this job and have a lot of success. Would be a great story. But MUCH work to do, which he knows.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Nothing against Speedy but it's bizarre to know your HC is sick a year in advance, promote his #1 assistant to acting HC, conduct a "national search" that takes longer than most coaching hires out there, only to land on the acting assistant coach at the same program! Could have locked this up weeks and weeks ago.

Up to Speedy to prove it -- he's certainly been around and is a Hofstra legend. These hires are always risky to me because if Speedy does a poor job it will leave a bad taste in people's mouths. Being a program icon doesn't mean much. Look at Ewing in Georgetown or, more locally, Mullin at SJU.

We'll see who the assistants are. Speedy is capable of bringing in some good talent. I hope he inherits the Mihalich staff ability to develop and retain them, especially in this wild wild west era of transfers.
Wags

Post by Wags »

One good thing with Speedy as the HC is... if Burgess doesn't really flourish now (off the positive steps he took this past season), he never would have under anyone else going forward. It's probably ideal for him at least.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I mean I love Speedy but dang, a real, et tu, brute move to Farrelly. Best of luck to him. He probably didn't deserve that ending, but when you lose by 18 to ELON in the semifinals, the door opens for these types of decisions.

Seems like a weak move by Cole, but this decision reeks of political and financial overtones. Speedy is the true face of our program, Joe's contract is still on the books.

I can only hope it works out, and Speedy brings in some good coaches. Potentially very exciting.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

With Carlos coming today in I would not be surprised if Speedy plays both Carlos and Burgess together Afterall he and Jason played together under Jay
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wow, I can't believe the lack of support for this selection.

Speedy has been a part of the coaching staff for 7-8 years. Now he's in charge. That's a big difference. Let's see what he can do.

Maybe Norm Richardson will sign on as his #1 assistant.

I wish Mike Farrelly the best of luck. He served the team well, but change is the only constant in the coaching profession. Wouldn't be surprised to see the the rest of the staff depart.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I heard about this 10 minutes ago from Mike NEELY so clearly getting the memo a bit late but I like this and to have a coach who's all in on HU basketball I think speaks volumes. Arguably Mr HU basketball in terms of his legacy to our program and someone who has been very close to his alma mater for quite some time in the coaching/recruiting capacity. I asked a lot of questions that a lot of us would have wanted answered but got few answers not to anyone's surprise. When asked about the supposed nationwide search I got " We spoke to a lot of people" and when asked about Farrelly got I know as little as you about his situation. Kind of feel bad for Mike who has given so much to the university and the program but it's really about winning and not making friends here. lIKE ANYTHING ELSE it comes down to money and this is a business even on a collegiate level. Congrats to Speedy and looking forward to him being a successful coach/recruiter here and hopefully taking us to a new level. Best wishes to Mike and who knows what the future has for Colin and Cobian?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Congrats to Speedy -
AS with anyone - I hope it is the right move
Speedy had to have a had in recruiting some really good players - and developing them JFW/Buie/Pemberton/Burgess -
I hope he is able to double down on bring talent in now that he is the man -
I like MF - dont think he got the right deal in this - and cant imagine him staying and wish him the best
Speedy has to have a staff - to guide him and as I threw out before - Richardson as an assistant and Pecora as the veteran sage?
Congrats Speedy - all the best
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wow, did not see this coming.

Congratulations to Speedy. He is the face of the program and has certainly earned this opportunity and my full support.

Feel for Mike...he gave his all for nearly ten years. Unfortunately you can’t have two coaches.

Speedy will need Joe’s full support and hire a staff who can help him in areas he’s not the strongest.

Still he’s our best recruiter and player developer. I believe he will also keep the roster intact which is a real plus.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

daHUPride wrote:Congrats to Speedy -
Speedy had to have a had in recruiting some really good players - and developing them JFW/Buie/Pemberton/Burgess -
I like MF - dont think he got the right deal in this - and cant imagine him staying and wish him the best
Speedy has to have a staff - to guide him and as I threw out before - Richardson as an assistant and Pecora as the veteran sage?
The veteran Sage is Joe.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID80 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:Congrats to Speedy -
The veteran Sage is Joe.
I'm sure you mean me...I saw it coming miles away. I see him growing into the role and thriving.

My next prediction....Farrelly stays on staff. Don't exactly see offers lining up, his family is settled- give him another year here.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 32448?s=20

Farrelly is expected to leave, obviously.
Wags

Post by Wags »

When fans can finally return, this move should help the longstanding attendance issues a bit. I imagine HU will get a boost from some who simply want to see how Speedy does as a head coach.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 32448?s=20

Farrelly is expected to leave, obviously.
OK then.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Captain

Post by Captain »

When the official announcement comes I think we will see the touch of Coach JM.
He would not cut Mike Farrelly go without looking out for him.
Expect a safe landing for MF. Also expect a solid veteran assistant coach to help Speedy.
A win-win for everybody.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:When fans can finally return, this move should help the longstanding attendance issues a bit. I imagine HU will get a boost from some who simply want to see how Speedy does as a head coach.
Cant see more then 10 fans coming solely to Speedy coach
Speedy gets some stud kids to coach and starts winning then fans will come back in droves - this Long Island (and we've seen it at the Mack) you win people come you lose and its us 200 loyal fans.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Captain wrote:When the official announcement comes I think we will see the touch of Coach JM.
He would not cut Mike Farrelly go without looking out for him.
Expect a safe landing for MF. Also expect a solid veteran assistant coach to help Speedy.
A win-win for everybody.
Got an email from Mike Neely...sounds official
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
Wags wrote:When fans can finally return, this move should help the longstanding attendance issues a bit. I imagine HU will get a boost from some who simply want to see how Speedy does as a head coach.
Cant see more then 10 fans coming solely to Speedy coach
Speedy gets some stud kids to coach and starts winning then fans will come back in droves - this Long Island (and we've seen it at the Mack) you win people come you lose and its us 200 loyal fans.
I'm not saying it would be a couple thousand extra fans, but you'd be surprised. People care about what you wouldn't expect them to around here. They should care about winning, but even that doesn't work (recall the disappointing home crowds even during the 16-game winning streak that was getting a lot of press a couple years ago).

Casual Long Island hoops fans will read about Speedy as the HC in Newsday, see it on News12 and elsewhere and they'll remember Speedy and want to see his team. I could see that alone drawing a couple hundred, maybe a few hundred extra fans for a while that they normally wouldn't get. Hofstra, as its advertising budget allows, should be jumping all over it with ads in Newsday, on TV, radio, LIRR billboards. You'd be surprised how many LIers who don't really follow HU hoops otherwise will say, "Yeah, I remember Speedy! He's the head coach now? I gotta check that out and bring the kids."
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I was pulling for MF, but also excited about Speedy as well and he has certainly paid his dues. As someone said above, only one could ultimately get job and I feel for Mike who got unlucky with covid since I think had NCAA Tourney happened and there was a normal coaching musical chairs a very good chance he would have gotten a HC job. He also got unlucky coaching in a covid season with one less assistant and then had to go into CAA tourney rusty after covid pause. I am sure he will land on his feet though and get a HC opportunity sooner than later. As for Speedy, bringing on an ex head coach as top assistant is important and Pecora would certainly be ideal for this if they can make it work.