Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by HofstraHockey »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:So I know it is only speculation at this point but what is everyone's thoughts on a college basketball season this year? Delayed start? Conference only?

I would assume any start would be without fans but would definitely be great if by the end of it hofstra could have fans in at least some capacity.
HM why couldn't there be fans spaced out all over the Mack center. Plenty of room especially if u r limiting attendance not that we always had big crowds. It's very doable.
If the Mets and Yankees can't have fans, ZERO chance that Hofstra can.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

No schedule yet which is a bit unusual. If there is a season, the schedule might be ad hoc or limited to conference teams. If there is a non-conference schedule likely limited to local schools.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just thought I saw on Fox 5 that College basketball to resume 11/26???? Does anyone have any info. on this??
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:Just thought I saw on Fox 5 that College basketball to resume 11/26???? Does anyone have any info. on this??
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... art-nov-25

Yes that is the case. Each school could still choose to not play though. Hopefully Hofstra is able to come up with a plan to safely play.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Just thought I saw on Fox 5 that College basketball to resume 11/26???? Does anyone have any info. on this??

Yes that is the case. Each school could still choose to not play though. Hopefully Hofstra is able to come up with a plan to safely play.
I'm hearing too many crickets here this is great news no. Has everyone forgotten about college basketball? IDK about anyone else but I definitely need a fix for sure. But no exhibition or scrimmages. Teams probably will come out of the gate a bit sluggish without getting real playing time!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yes, my daughter (in college now) spoke directly to some Big East players and they confirmed that they will be playing just before Thanksgiving. They did not have any more info than that.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:

I'm hearing too many crickets here this is great news no. Has everyone forgotten about college basketball? IDK about anyone else but I definitely need a fix for sure. But no exhibition or scrimmages. Teams probably will come out of the gate a bit sluggish without getting real playing time!
I think everyone expected this announcement. It was just a question on what date they were going to recommend. Now we wait for Hofstra to announce what they are doing. Hofstra cancelled fall sports in mid July (believe most start mid-end of august). So i would expect some sort of announcement by mid October the latest regarding winter sports.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Love the confirmation that hoops will be on!! Let's stay diligent and make sure it still can on that date

Fans in the stands in basketball will likely be difficult due to the indoor nature - college football extremely limited outdoors, but we'll see I guess. Either way looking forward to having a season.

And speaking of college football, like I said, don't underestimate the power lol - Big 10 announced they're back in the game - just too much money to lose, and enough kids want to play. Now I don't know how many games they will actually get in, a LOT of postponements, so that's the obvious risk of doing this... but they will play some and will have a playoff and will crown a nat champ.

I'm in the camp of let's be smart and safe... but I can't deny I am very excited about college sports coming back, selfishly I really need something - wearing Netflix out. :P
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:So I know it is only speculation at this point but what is everyone's thoughts on a college basketball season this year? Delayed start? Conference only?

I would assume any start would be without fans but would definitely be great if by the end of it hofstra could have fans in at least some capacity.
HM why couldn't there be fans spaced out all over the Mack center. Plenty of room especially if u r limiting attendance not that we always had big crowds. It's very doable.
If the Mets and Yankees can't have fans, ZERO chance that Hofstra can.
Right now, yes. But we're talking about two months from now. Things could be worse, and they may still have to do a 180 and cancel the season for D-I in general. Or things could be better, and Hofstra could be playing with limited fans in attendance, socially distanced, etc. With the sparse crowds they normally draw in Nov. and Dec., that unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you look at that) could be doable for the first few weeks. Too much uncertainty. We could also have a vaccine by Dec. as well. Or maybe not until 6-8 mnoths after that. Too much to play out still to say anything about the fans. But at least announcing that hoops will be back by 11/25 is a start.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes sounds very plausible on TV hopefully or live this is a win win for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags - agree with you that anything (Worst or best case) is possible regarding the season and fans. I am optimistic that we at least have a season. I'd imagine the CA road trip and LSU game are probably off the table though.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

If MBB is starting on 11/25/20 is there any news on a schedule or format? Is there any news on Joe M as well. Its been crickets.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am assuming they are trying to delay any public release in case they need to change plans. Even with the NCAA starting Nov 25th I wouldn't be surprised if Hofstra just delayed the start until conference play or maybe one or two tuneup games beforehand.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I'm hearing local OOC games in Dec, modified CAA schedule beginning in January whereby teams will play the same oppoent twice in one trip vs home and home to reduce travel...this will lead to some inwquities in teams schedules, i.e. we may play two a Chareston and play two at home vs. UNCW but it's all better than NOTHING!

This is all predicated on NO ONE associated with the team getting COVID in which case teams will be shut down for 14 days.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Thanks. Makes sense. CAA shouldn't make us do two southern trips like you mentioned. I guess we'll be seeing Stony Brook, LIU, perhaps Fordham, Iona, and maybe even St. John's on the OOC.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Mikey77 wrote:Thanks. Makes sense. CAA shouldn't make us do two southern trips like you mentioned. I guess we'll be seeing Stony Brook, LIU, perhaps Fordham, Iona, and maybe even St. John's on the OOC.
I think "local" could be any school within 2 hrs drive. If true, add schools like the following to the list, Manhattan, Rider, Monmouth, Quinnipiac, Fairfield, Sacred Heart, Princeton, Columbia, Yale, and some other longshots like Seton Hall, Rutgers, etc.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Andy Katz has recently released his first 2021 early NCAA Tournament Bracket and HU is listed as a #14 seed playing #3 seed Michigan State! The previous brackets that I have seen all listed Delaware as the CAA representative. I guess the UD transfers altered their standing. I realize these early predictions really don't mean much, but it is encouraging to see another evaluation of the 2020-2021 HU program.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:Andy Katz has recently released his first 2021 early NCAA Tournament Bracket and HU is listed as a #14 seed playing #3 seed Michigan State! The previous brackets that I have seen all listed Delaware as the CAA representative. I guess the UD transfers altered their standing. I realize these early predictions really don't mean much, but it is encouraging to see another evaluation of the 2020-2021 HU program.
This makes sense picking HU to repeat although like u say it doesn't mean much in the great scheme of things. It will be interesting to see how the coaches etc. vote on the pecking order in the CAA if there is such a vote. We definitely should be one of the favorites to win this again after the loss of players from Delaware.
Polito

Post by Polito »

One Mission: R E P E A T
Cards

Post by Cards »

I'm sure that most of you will be receiving the email from Mike Neely that I received a few minutes ago.

HU is presently not planning on having any fans at games this season. They are hoping that circumstances change over time, but for now, that is the plan.

HU is offering "virtual" seasons tickets that will include some special content - like chalk talks, inside info, etc. Purchasing these tix will secure your seats for the 2012-2022 season.

Of course, thanks goodness, all games are planned to be available on Flosports.

Crazy times!