Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by The Shadow »

How concerned are we that HU may have to eliminate a few athletic programs now that the fall sports have been suspended? I am concerned that programs may have to be terminated because of finances.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

As I discussed somewhere here, many of the sports are actually money makers for the school, by virtue of having more tuition coming in than they have in real expenses. Most teams aren't full scholarship- baseball for example has 11.7 scholarships but 33 guys on the team, 21.3x$45k=$$$. If you take out the scholarship costs (which we know aren't real money), the team generates more revenue than expenses. And like we discussed, if Hofstra doesn't have a baseball team, it is likely that those players would all go to a different school. And since Hofstra isn't Harvard, there isn't a waiting list, so that tuition money disappears. So if it's $500k in real costs and $900k in tuition revenue, that's a lot of revenue the school loses.

Unless I'm looking at it totally wrong.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Winter sports not cancelled -- yet.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

The Shadow wrote:How concerned are we that HU may have to eliminate a few athletic programs now that the fall sports have been suspended? I am concerned that programs may have to be terminated because of finances.
I hope not and also don't think so based what AJ wrote above. While not surprising news, is still crushing since would love to see Hofstra sports this fall (esp. women''s soccer) as much-needed distraction from the pandemic and election. It was the correct call though given logistical challenges needed, and am glad they are committed to having the fall sports compete in the spring when hopefully conditions are far better.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HofstraPride1 wrote:I hope not and also don't think so based what AJ wrote above. While not surprising news, is still crushing since would love to see Hofstra sports this fall (esp. women''s soccer) as much-needed distraction from the pandemic and election. It was the correct call though given logistical challenges needed, and am glad they are committed to having the fall sports compete in the spring when hopefully conditions are far better.
I agree, I'm not sure I can stomach turning on a TV until 2021 if no sports are on, so much negativity. Canceling was the smart move though, and I'm glad schools are getting in front of it now, which probably gives us the best chance to pick things up in the spring.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that some sports get canceled, but it would be a disgrace for our university. Overall a real shame, our athletic program was building tangible momentum, let's hope we can continue it in the spring!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I understand the idea of more money generated by baseball tuition than by the amount of less than twelve scholarships, but the travel expenses and possible COVID dangers must be taken into account. In the past few seasons, there have been away baseball games in Hawaii, California, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and the Dominican Republic. This has to be a large expense. Then, there are the trips to North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and the rest of the CAA opponents. These require multiple days in a hotel, plus meals, for about forty players, coaches, and trainers. I realize this is all part of having a division one program, but I still wonder about expenses for the athletic department. When you add in the softball, soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, basketball, etc. trips, it must be quite an expense. I also realize that there are deals that can be arranged if these trips are booked weeks or months in advance. I can see a large adjustment on possible trips and opponents due to COVID. If wealthy (large endowment) colleges like Brown, Stanford, and Furman can eliminate programs, Hofstra and other colleges may consider it as well. If this pandemic continues into the winter and spring, I see many other colleges reevaluating their expenses and possible opponents. There was a recent NY Times article mentioning many colleges eliminating instructors because of a lack in enrollment. There will be some very difficult decisions that may have to be made.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

The Shadow wrote:I understand the idea of more money generated by baseball tuition than by the amount of less than twelve scholarships, but the travel expenses and possible COVID dangers must be taken into account. In the past few seasons, there have been away baseball games in Hawaii, California, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and the Dominican Republic. This has to be a large expense. Then, there are the trips to North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and the rest of the CAA opponents. These require multiple days in a hotel, plus meals, for about forty players, coaches, and trainers. I realize this is all part of having a division one program, but I still wonder about expenses for the athletic department. When you add in the softball, soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, basketball, etc. trips, it must be quite an expense. I also realize that there are deals that can be arranged if these trips are booked weeks or months in advance. I can see a large adjustment on possible trips and opponents due to COVID. If wealthy (large endowment) colleges like Brown, Stanford, and Furman can eliminate programs, Hofstra and other colleges may consider it as well. If this pandemic continues into the winter and spring, I see many other colleges reevaluating their expenses and possible opponents. There was a recent NY Times article mentioning many colleges eliminating instructors because of a lack in enrollment. There will be some very difficult decisions that may have to be made.
Hofstra teams do a lot of fundraising for these long trips.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

That is also what I am very concerned about. I believe that most donations to various college booster organizations, including the HU Pride Club, will be much less for the fall of 2020 because of the suspension of college sports. The funds for these programs will probably also be decreased because of the poor economy due to COVID. Loyal boosters may donate, but not the same amount.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

But, at the same time, their expenses for this year will be way down. I don’t see teams (besides basketball, and even that’s a maybe) taking these long flights this year. And even if so, have you seen the prices for airline tickets right now? It’s $25 to fly from NY to Chicago.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

While the expenses will likely be down some expenses remain fixed, especially like coaches and staff salaries and benefits and maintenance of the facilities. The shutdown will not absorb this overhead and likely impact the athletic budget in ways we haven't even anticipated. When things reopen Cole will need to hustle up some donors other than Metzger to plug all the holes.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I beleive we are very close to the minimum number of sports we can field to remain in the CAA...schools like Stanford were playing something like 30 sports so that's a very different situation.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

14 is minimum for NCAA division 1
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Stanford went from 36 to 25. They could have eliminated double the 11 they did and still been at the minimum.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2676627782578715

Good interview with Cole at link above last night on WRHU where he spoke about plans to hold fall sports in spring and also mentioned possibility of basketball starting later.
Polito

Post by Polito »

It ALL rides on college football - whatever they decide, the P5 conferences, that will set the tone.

And as I've said, do not underestimate the power of big time college football money. The SEC is not going to throw away those $'s if there's any chance at all they can still grab it. When you have time for some fun, go take a look at how much money we're talking about here. It's much easier for mids to back off, a few hundred thousand, even to an HU size, isn't that big of a deal long run.

But very very few 'businesses' can eat a 40-50 million dollar hit, and still keep scholly's and staffs in place, esp on the heels of the big money lost from the NCAAT. Schools need to be back in session, and sports will need to be played. Otherwise there will be a collapse. Just need to get this a bit more under control, and there is time to do so if the focus is consistent and uniform.

They will do everything in their power to have something this winter. I bet delayed, I bet shortened, I bet conf only for minimal travel, etc. But there is going to be something, and there needs to be.

And if we have some football, we will have some hoops, same season thoughts as above.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:It ALL rides on college football - whatever they decide, the P5 conferences, that will set the tone.

And as I've said, do not underestimate the power of big time college football money. The SEC is not going to throw away those $'s if there's any chance at all they can still grab it. When you have time for some fun, go take a look at how much money we're talking about here. It's much easier for mids to back off, a few hundred thousand, even to an HU size, isn't that big of a deal long run.

But very very few 'businesses' can eat a 40-50 million dollar hit, and still keep scholly's and staffs in place, esp on the heels of the big money lost from the NCAAT. Schools need to be back in session, and sports will need to be played. Otherwise there will be a collapse. Just need to get this a bit more under control, and there is time to do so if the focus is consistent and uniform.

They will do everything in their power to have something this winter. I bet delayed, I bet shortened, I bet conf only for minimal travel, etc. But there is going to be something, and there needs to be.

And if we have some football, we will have some hoops, same season thoughts as above.
I agree there will be college football because too much money at stake, but question is fall or spring?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: They will do everything in their power to have something this winter. I bet delayed, I bet shortened, I bet conf only for minimal travel, etc. But there is going to be something, and there needs to be.
There doesn't need to be if it's not safe to do so. Sports business is like any business - no matter how much money is at stake, safety is going to be the top priority in driving what happens, and that needs to be. That said, what you're predicting (something limited and/or delayed in the winter) may happen with recent numbers slowly improving nationally as people are FINALLY starting to comprehend that they can't have all of the things they're used to having without cooperating, especially wearing masks (shame it took this long and we still have a long way to go, and we still need to see if that cooperation will continue for as long as it needs to, but that's the country we live in now).
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Polito wrote:It ALL rides on college football - whatever they decide, the P5 conferences, that will set the tone.

I agree there will be college football because too much money at stake, but question is fall or spring?
After the MAC pulled out for the fall, it sounds like the spring: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... this-fall/ (once again, dominoes). Logistically, that's hard to imagine, too, if other regular spring sports start on time in the spring. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't see college football or basketball until the fall of 2021, but there's still a lot left to play out long before then, so we'll see.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Way too early to know if this will impact college basketball season. I think they will do everything they can to have March Madness after already missing out on last year's revenues, especially if there is a vaccine/treatments in place by early 2021.
Wags wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:

After the MAC pulled out for the fall, it sounds like the spring: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... this-fall/ (once again, dominoes). Logistically, that's hard to imagine, too, if other regular spring sports start on time in the spring. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't see college football or basketball until the fall of 2021, but there's still a lot left to play out long before then, so we'll see.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just looking at the college basketball madness top 144 best teams in the country. They're down to #93 and there's no sign of HU. They have Towson picked at 123 and Delaware picked at 94. They say that Delaware is NCAA bound but in their narrative not totally convinced after Darling opted for the NBA. It doesn't appear that they have us in the top 144 unless they have us picked ahead of Delaware which seems unlikely even though they lost more then we did last year. On paper at least in terms of PPG lost. This could all be a moot issue but I thought I would throw it out there since not much else going on.
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/me ... ews?page=3