MBB Recruits 2020

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Recruits 2020

Post by Cards »

Captain wrote:Like a lot of us I have a little more time than usual. I looked at video of Vukasan Masic. This guy can play!
Sees the court well, can shoot the three and takes it to the hoop. I am impressed.
You can see some video on his tweet column on verbal commits that was posted on March 23rd.
Put me down as a fan already. What do you guys think?
Here's what I posted right after he signed:
Really like this signing. Kid really has great court vision, the type of guy that makes other players better. Can handle the ball, good passing, nice J, can take it to the hoop, nice tear drop, looks like a real player. Very good fundamental skills - kinda reminds me partly of the older euro players that all had good fundamentals but looked too mechanical playing the game - this guy has the sound game without the mechanical look. I could see IK (inside) and TC/JR (outside) being fed by this guy all night long.

As some one noted, it appears he will come in with more than "freshman" experience. As long as he can make a smooth transition, he likely can contribute next season.

some games in video hew number 11, others he's number 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZeKT4VJHAo
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I liked the videos and stated as such but I also compared him to Vasa Pusica Realistically they wouldn’t have given him the last scholarship if they really didn’t like him a lot.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am definitely not one of the better posters in evaluating talent on this board and I tend to lean on the optimistic side. But since we are all stuck in our homes I took a look at the video. Here are my thoughts.

I am not sure of the talent level and obviously they cut the video to show the best of a player. I feel like I am seeing some similarities to Charles Jenkins in him; maybe he can bulk up a little and be that large guard that Jenkins was. Definitely optimistic as I am with any recruit. He also seems to be a good compliment to Burgess as they don't seem to be the same type of player. That could be good as we can always offer something different for the defense by switching one in for the other.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

According to Verbal Commits we've offered two new JC guards...interesting to see what shakes out with our current roster. Keep your eyes on Verbal Commits transfer portal.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:According to Verbal Commits we've offered two new JC guards...interesting to see what shakes out with our current roster. Keep your eyes on Verbal Commits transfer portal.
Do that every morning and I feel we're all on that same page waiting for something to happen.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain wrote:Like a lot of us I have a little more time than usual. I looked at video of Vukasan Masic. This guy can play!
Sees the court well, can shoot the three and takes it to the hoop. I am impressed.
You can see some video on his tweet column on verbal commits that was posted on March 23rd.
Put me down as a fan already. What do you guys think?
The one question I have is why this kid was not more widely recruited ? Anyway lets hope JAM landed a real sleeper !
Captain

Post by Captain »

My guess and it's only a guess is he hasn't been in the US too long. The NBA scouts know what is happening in Europe but the colleges rely on hearsay and video I think.
Also after so many years coaching, JM knows so many people, particularly from upstate NY (and Philly) from his Niagara days.
He may have gotten a hot tip on the kid and jumped. Remember we only have a verbal from the kid...things are not completely locked up. Hope we land him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Again, we'll see. I'm not interested in ANY PG w/under 2 assists a game - that's just me. And he's playing against crappy comp. Not throwing him under by any means, but for a euro player w/no attention and pretty avg numbers against bad comp, I'm gonna need to see it on the court here in the states against high talent.

Now he may be brought in as a 2 guard, a combo, or even as a roster supplement and not meant to be a starter, and all of that is very different - he may be a diamond in the rough, and explode out of nowhere, and I hope he is.

As far as JM recruiting guards, didn't mean to 'knock' him at all - of course Joe knows talent, he's been in the game longer than many have been alive! And he's proven the ability to produce an environment where guards known or unknown can thrive (i.e. the late and great Upshaw who they thankfully continue to honor today). But my ranking of top recruiters is typically in the assistant ranks as those are the guys doing most of the actual recruiting work, and for me it's Speedy first, ESP when it comes to guards.

Anyhoo, they continue to offer JUCO guards, so seems like they're still searching for the right roster.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hi Polito
I don't believe they see him as a point guard. He is more of a combo guard who can drive and dish and find open men.
My source who has a good track record tells me they are still looking for a point guard.
A couple of roster players have not worked out and may not return. Figure that Tareq, Jalen Isaac and K'vonn will provide a nice core.
After that wait and see about the rest and see if any of the frosh get the green light for playing time from coach.
By the way David Green was the player of the year in his league and he hails from the same school as Grant Riller.
Also saw some comments about Masic claiming he can play right away. He may have done this against lesser competition, but he was really blowing by people. If he comes I am hoping for some good things from him.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Good info Captain - thanks
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

I think True would be making a mistake to leave. He made some significant contributions down the stretch this year. I think he could make even greater contributions next year. Needs to work on his offense a little more.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Mikey77 wrote:I think True would be making a mistake to leave. He made some significant contributions down the stretch this year. I think he could make even greater contributions next year. Needs to work on his offense a little more.
Cramer is going to take his minutes. If they are still looking at recruits it's him and/or Hughes I would expect to leave.
garyg

Post by garyg »

cactus wrote:
Mikey77 wrote:I think True would be making a mistake to leave. He made some significant contributions down the stretch this year. I think he could make even greater contributions next year. Needs to work on his offense a little more.
Cramer is going to take his minutes. If they are still looking at recruits it's him and/or Hughes I would expect to leave.
What about Miranda leaving ?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

garyg wrote:
cactus wrote:
What about Miranda leaving ?
all just a guess really .. don't know much about him but he was talked about as a redshirt candidate and I liked what I saw out of him in just the few appearances he got. And he's got a chance to play significant minutes next year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I liked Miranda as well...showed no fear when he entered a game...but in looking at the kids coming in plus guys they're recruiting he may be at the end of the bench...if he redshirts he still takes a scholarship.

Has for Hughes, I thin he's in over his level...he may be a D II guy or a low major unless he improves dramatically over the summer...which will be hard to do as kids can't play now due to the virus.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:I liked Miranda as well...showed no fear when he entered a game...but in looking at the kids coming in plus guys they're recruiting he may be at the end of the bench...if he redshirts he still takes a scholarship.

Has for Hughes, I thin he's in over his level...he may be a D II guy or a low major unless he improves dramatically over the summer...which will be hard to do as kids can't play now due to the virus.
Spot on re Hughes IMO he's not a D-1 player and should go play D-2 but Miranda after seeing very little action this year and with Coburn, Ray and Silverio here I don't see how he gets any time at all. You have two guards coming in one with Euro experience and the kid from N.J. Bethea. I do think he's a decent player can shoot but I just get this feeling that he's a step slow but that's my opinion. As for Trueheart he's such an enigma an inconsistent player really a terrible shooter from behind the arc shooting 13%. I've said it before but I'll say it again he looks lackadaisical at times on the court misses rebounds gets burned back door and can miss easy chip shots. I recently had time lol and watched the entire replay of the Drexel game in D.C. and he really didn't play well in that game. He's getting 10+ minutes a game and like someone has said we have a kid named Cramer who at this point is mighty hungry after being out of basketball for two years. He looks like he's in very good shape and plays big for his size. A great leaper and I would imagine couldn't shoot any worse then Stafford. Would Stafford transfer for educational reasons to obtain a Masters somewhere else or is he already in a masters program here? He's an experienced player who knows our system IMO he stays and plays his last year hear maybe getting few minutes.

IMO of paramount importance here is getting an experienced PG to take some pressure off of Burgess who will be up for the task of playing the point here. An insurance policy for sure.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very glad to hear about continuing to seek a PG, figured that was the case as it's a def need even if CB pans out.

Saw that w/Green, kid is a very exciting player... really looking forward to what he and Cramer can bring - team could really elevate w/a 6'6ish 3/4 guy to stretch both sides of the floor. I just keep thinking what a 6'6 TC would be like (hopefully more consistent lol) ... devastating potential!

Much of what is being said about Masic was said about Miranda. Again, not every player is brought in as a starter, so guys like this are still needed for practice squads, backups, emergency use, etc. They need to be serviceable, and/or possess certain abilities that will help the starting rotation improve.

It is very likely that neither are D1 / CAA starting caliber, at least right now. Sometimes we (me included) over assess them as filling in major minutes, and that's def not always the purpose. So if we're talking supporting role, cool. Starter less likely / more of a stretch - we'll see on that front.

ST is an interesting one, he's provided some spark here and there, and is sometimes a helpful supporting guy... but it's been few and far between. Would welcome him back, or would also welcome someone different.

Hughes I called before arrival. All in all, this roster should still have some room, would really like to take advantage of the positive year w/some exciting new talent.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Some new highlights to go with Green's POY award...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nFyJT1 ... e=youtu.be

I'm cautiously optimistic about this being a real impact player for us from day 1. I'm not saying 25 minutes/game right away, but I think he can contribute immediately.

A few observations:
1. He plays much more like a 2/3 than a 3/4... I get a zeke upshaw feel from some of these mixtapes.
2. He has a handle. That sort of size with a handle and a 3pt shot isn't seen often in the CAA.
3. As others have said, he's another sweet shooting lefty for JM to add to his resume. While I see why the TC comparisons are being made, I don't think Green has the same level of athleticism or length.
4. However, it looks like he can create his own shot off the dribble, which is a very important skill in our offense.

If we have Ray, TC, and Kante starting next year, that leaves (in theory) spots for a pg and a 3 or stretch 4.

It seems that non-pg spot will be between Trueheart (who I also think should stay and be given a chance as a starter), Cramer (who I think we're giving way too much credit to, as he'll be a RS FR who hasn't played real competitive basketball in 3 years), and Green. Could we also be looking for a Grad Transfer to fill this spot?

I'm definitely staying tuned this off-season.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks for posting the video HU87 a very impressive kid with a lot of upside and maybe skills you don't see from a kid coming into a mid-major program. I don't recall what schools were recruiting him but he must have had some P5 interest? In the comparison with Coburn yes they're both lefties but this kid looks like he has some ball handling skills and can take it to the rack which is really not one of Coburns strong suits. No question I think he plays the 3/4 most of the time dividing time with Cramer( Trueheart getting some minutes) although Cramer maybe more of a 4 with his forte being in the paint. I don't think Cramer shoots like this kid and he may be more of a defensive player for us who will give us rebounding and will pick up points in the paint on the offensive glass. I'm not sure why the doubt about Cramer but having been out of basketball I get the concern. The jury is definitely out on Silverio but being one of his supporters since the beginning I'm betting that he's an important part of the team this year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He reminds me a little of a left handed Eli Pemberton. Not as polished yet but he will only be a freshman.Would like to see him use his right hand a little more but he has time to develop.