MBB Game 26 - Northeastern - 2/12/15, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 26 - Northeastern - 2/12/15, 7 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

First home game of the season on national TV (NBC Sports Network). Let's pack the Mack!
Polito

Re: MBB Game 26 - Northeastern - 2/12/15, 7 PM

Post by Polito »

This is a monster game - felt they could've won the first meeting, but this is a vital game for HU - at the very least need to prove they can beat them
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:This is a monster game - felt they could've won the first meeting, but this is a vital game for HU - at the very least need to prove they can beat them
Not only to prove that, but with the way things are so bunched up right now, a win or loss in this game can move you as high as second or as low as sixth.

It's also the start of a make-or-break stretch for the Huskies over their next three games (@HU, @UNCW, vs. W&M).

Will also be HU's first game in five days, so plenty of time for the staff to get the team ready and focused for this one, especially with watching tape of the defensive breakdowns in Boston from the first time against NU this season. Will be interesting to see with all that extra time off to prepare for this game, how HU defends NU this time.

As a sidenote, unlike in the win over Elon, HU won't be wearing yellow again if they are going to match the crowd on Thursday night:
http://gohofstra.com/news/2015/2/8/MBB_0208153332.aspx
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like Charles Jenkins is excited for the game, he tweeted to former NU player Matt Janning about it.
Charles Jenkins ‏@thejenkinsguy22
@mjanning23 HU vs NU thursday loser change profile pic for a week deal?
https://twitter.com/thejenkinsguy22/sta ... 3895945216
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I wonder if the Huskies (aptly named) will be able to make it down to LI for Thursday's game? Boston has received more than 70 inches of snow this winter, including three major storms in the past two weeks. Today a commuter train got stuck in the snow and had to evacuate passengers between stations. Mush! Mush!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Love what HU is doing for this game with the White Out! 2k free shirts, and they look very cool - everyone else wearing white should look awesome

let's get some chatter going folks, BIG game

I want to see Green with like 12 assists lol ... seriously
Wags

Post by Wags »

As if this game isn't big enough, Drexel and JMU each won last night. They are each now 8-5, and for the moment have pushed HU (7-5) down to 6th place.

We'd expect UNCW to take care of Charleston at home tonight, but the Seahawks did need OT to win in Charleston last month.

If HU beats NU and Charleston were to get an upset win in Wilmington tonight, there would be a five-way tie for second place.

At the very least, an HU win over NU (coupled with a UNCW win over Charleston) would create a four-way logjam for third place, just a game behind second-place UNCW in that case.

With the defection of the former top dogs, the league is now as balanced as I can ever remember since HU joined. Should be a very interesting remainder of February.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The CAA is hosting a watch party at Buffalo Wild Wings in Owings Mills, MD for this game. http://www.caasports.com/documents/2014 ... _Feb12.pdf

Also, we open as 6 point favorites. I thought it would be a lot closer, considering we've been playing better on the road, and we did horribly at Northeastern.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:The CAA is hosting a watch party at Buffalo Wild Wings in Owings Mills, MD for this game. http://www.caasports.com/documents/2014 ... _Feb12.pdf

Also, we open as 6 point favorites. I thought it would be a lot closer, considering we've been playing better on the road, and we did horribly at Northeastern.
I know EXACTLY where that is - just a couple miles from where my Grandmother lives.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ESPN has the game at minus 4 which is more like it. Huge game for us...separates the contenders from the pretenders.

Hope there is a big LOUD crowd...I will be watching from Fla...thank God I have NBCSN
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:As if this game isn't big enough, Drexel and JMU each won last night. They are each now 8-5, and for the moment have pushed HU (7-5) down to 6th place.

We'd expect UNCW to take care of Charleston at home tonight, but the Seahawks did need OT to win in Charleston last month.

If HU beats NU and Charleston were to get an upset win in Wilmington tonight, there would be a five-way tie for second place.

At the very least, an HU win over NU (coupled with a UNCW win over Charleston) would create a four-way logjam for third place, just a game behind second-place UNCW in that case.

With the defection of the former top dogs, the league is now as balanced as I can ever remember since HU joined. Should be a very interesting remainder of February.
Charleston was actually up 6 at the half, but a UNCW had a big second half and won. So the Seahawks sit at 9-4, a game behind the 10-3 Tribe.

If HU wins tonight, there's a four-way tie for third behind those two. If NU wins, HU will be in sixth, a full game behind behind JMU and Drexel, two behind UNCW and NU and three behind W&M with only five to play.

If there was ever a time for HU to have the utmost urgency it's had at home all season, especially after four days off, it's tonight.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Goes without saying that this would be a huge win. When we played these guys a month ago, they shot 64% from the field, and 50% from the 3 pt line. They also got to the line 38 times. I know our defense has been suspect at best, but those numbers are truly unrepeatable. In our absolute most dominant performance this season (50 pt win vs 5-19 Coppin State) we still didn't match those types of percentages, and that's against a team who ranks 349th in the country in points allowed.

I also think this team is going to benefit GREATLY from a packed house and national exposure for truly the first time this season. When we lost to NE last time, it was the beginning of us losing 4 of 5 and changing our expectations on the season. Hopefully a win here can bring us right back to where we were one month ago.
Cards

Post by Cards »

If the team is to be playing with any confidence during the playoffs then this is a must win.

Of course good shooting and reasonably good defense (I don't want to get overly optomistic) are a must, But I think we really need good play by Kone and Gustys to offset Eatherton.

I will be there tonight wearing my white shirt. Hopefully you won't be able to pick me out in the sea of white!!
Last edited by Cards on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I want this team to play with a fire in their belly.There is a sense of urgency needed for this team entering the final leg of their conference schedule.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I am stoked for this one !!!

I agree with needing to see a sense of urgency.....some passion.....a fire in the belly.

The tournament is the only time there are true "must-wins", especially since it will be wide-open.....I think any one of 4 teams can win the conference.....but tonight is a definite "must show-up" !!

Go HU !
kkan126

Post by kkan126 »

Really pumped for this one. This team has gone back and forth, and a win here would prove that they are at least on the fringe of being "for real". Unfortunately, the defense is going to need to do a full 360 this time around. Giving up 91 last time was just awful.

*Shameless self-promotion* I wrote (as I've been doing all season) a preview for the game, check it out if you guys want! http://thehofstrachronicle.com/scouting ... tle-hopes/

I've been lurking here for awhile, figured I'd join, and not just to link my articles I promise!

Go Pride!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

kkan126 wrote:Really pumped for this one. This team has gone back and forth, and a win here would prove that they are at least on the fringe of being "for real". Unfortunately, the defense is going to need to do a full 360 this time around. Giving up 91 last time was just awful.

*Shameless self-promotion* I wrote (as I've been doing all season) a preview for the game, check it out if you guys want! http://thehofstrachronicle.com/scouting ... tle-hopes/

I've been lurking here for awhile, figured I'd join, and not just to link my articles I promise!

Go Pride!
Welcome aboard, Kyle. Always good to have more Chronicle Crushers on FDF!
Polito

Post by Polito »

the more the merrier my friend! on this board there's at least one common goal, to grow the HU nation!

anticipation building big time for this one!! biggest game of the conf season thus far - time to bring it, nothing but A game.

I REALLY hope they have recruits scheduled to visit tonight - this is exactly the kind of game you want visits - there should be every potential possible in the stands tonight
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:the more the merrier my friend! on this board there's at least one common goal, to grow the HU nation!

anticipation building big time for this one!! biggest game of the conf season thus far - time to bring it, nothing but A game.

I REALLY hope they have recruits scheduled to visit tonight - this is exactly the kind of game you want visits - there should be every potential possible in the stands tonight
Just for you, Polito...

Halfway through the first half... Green has a game-high 3 assists (including a really nice bounce pass to set up a Gustys layup), and no FGA yet.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:the more the merrier my friend! on this board there's at least one common goal, to grow the HU nation!

Just for you, Polito...

Halfway through the first half... Green has a game-high 4 assists (including two really nice bounces pass to set up two Gustys layups), and no FGA yet.