support for mbb

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUclassof19

support for mbb

Post by HUclassof19 »

im curious to see everyones level of support for the team. im a student graduating next year and i went to all but two home games this year - missed two cause i was out of town). and i got my parents to buy season tickets so they go to the games now. they were always sort of hu fans and now they really are. cause of me. they dont donate money yet but i think i will when i graduate and hopefully get a job.

what about everyone else? season ticket holders? students who attend all games? pride club members?
HUSID74

Re: support for mbb

Post by HUSID74 »

I have been a Hofstra athlete, employee, super fan and booster, been a season ticket holder since the Mack opened and Pride a Club member as well as officer for a number of years.

I bleed Hofstra Blue and Gold!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUclassof19 wrote:im curious to see everyones level of support for the team. im a student graduating next year and i went to all but two home games this year - missed two cause i was out of town). and i got my parents to buy season tickets so they go to the games now. they were always sort of hu fans and now they really are. cause of me. they dont donate money yet but i think i will when i graduate and hopefully get a job.

what about everyone else? season ticket holders? students who attend all games? pride club members?
I graduated from Hofstra, I went to games at the PFC and was there when Hofstra Arena opened before it was The Mack.

I did the same as you. Got season tix for my Dad and I for his birthday. That turned into about 6 or 7 more straight years of renewing the same seats, 2nd row in 109.

After that, I started covering the team with a credential for website I write for.

Still bleed blue & gold for my alma mater on the inside (although when I'm there, I can't show it on the outside because of the "objective reporter" thing). This board allows me to vent my true feelings about the program.

The support on this board, across the board (pun intended) is as strong as you'll see anywhere, just that some get more frustrated than others with waiting for that long-awaited return trip to the NCAA tourney.

You have to get your fellow students involved and make The Mack a true homecourt advantage next year! It's been done before, you can do it again. Just have to oraganize.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:I have been a Hofstra athlete, employee, super fan and booster, been a season ticket holder since the Mack opened and Pride a Club member as well as officer for a number of years.

What did you play and when (if you care to share)?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Been following Hofstra since my first year on campus in '02. Interned/Helped out Jesse and Joe in their marketing office as a Senior at the school. Those were some great guys, took a great team, and helped give the team an awesome home court advantage.

Rarely missed a single game as a student. My Sophomore season until senior year, I attended every home game. Have gone to 'Cuse, Notre Dame, Charlotte, various CAA arenas as some of our road trips with my friends from school as students. Up until Charleston, hadn't missed a tournament in 8 years. To this day, we try and attend a road game or two a year. Made some amazing friends following this team.

Love the program, basketball mostly. Cant wait to finally reach the Tournament. I live over an hour away now, so it's very tough for me to get to the games with work and all, but I went to a handful this year, and will do the same next.

HUClass, its great to see some students on our boards. As a student, I posted on the CAAzone which was a great site. Hopefully we can grow this site, and with the help of students like you, our programs fan base.

Roll Pride.
dutchalum01

support for mbb

Post by dutchalum01 »

I’m a 2001 graduate now living in Minneapolis watching game after game on my computer. I’ve been doing it for years - all the way back to when all you could see streaming were the color of their jerseys. The last time I saw Hofstra play live was at the tournament in Baltimore - we were one half away from dancing. Im a huge sports fan but I bleed blue and gold. Hofstra is #1 for me.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I graduated HU in 1972(yes I'm old) have been a season ticket holder going back that far. I had the pleasure to see a lot of games of the great teams the Rood, Laurel, John Irving and Pat Kammerer teams. I saw both NCAAT games the first at the Coliseum and the second at the Palestra in Philly when they played N.D. tough. I stayed connected to the team thru around 1987 when I became self employed and my commitments to my business put a damper on my going to home games but still watched and read everything I could. I saw a lot of Speedy and Jenkins' teams over the years. I've been a season ticket holder again for the past 7 years and bring some of my family to the games. Bleed Blue and Gold but soon will need a transfusion!!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Started following the team while I was a student in 1998 after noticing on MSG that we beat Georgia Tech in the holiday festival. I thought wow, Georgia Tech, that's Bobby Cremins, that's the ACC, my school actually has a real basketball team.. I checked out my first game on campus shortly thereafter, Hofstra Delaware at the old PFC. Great battle between Mike Pegues, who was a great player for Delaware, and Speedy Claxton. We won the game when Speedy flew through the lane with his 40" vertical and hit the buzzer beater. I was hooked.

I was pretty spoiled as a student, 1 NIT and 2 NCAAT bids.. stormed the court with Cactus after beating Delaware to clinch the first NCAA bid.. Glory days.

For roughly the next 10 seasons after graduation, I'd buy single game tix to about 90% of home games, going with friends or my dad. I've also been to road games at St John's, Fordham, Drexel and Rutgers.. We would have won that NIT game at Rutgers but Speedy was out with an injury.. We ended up beating Rutgers a few times after that at MSG. Went to all those games as well at the Garden beating the Johnnies, Rutgers, and St Joe's which was my favorite.. Loren Stokes buzzer beater. Cactus and I also sat court side at the Garden for a game against Penn State which was a great college basketball game that we ultimately lost at the end. Some good times.

And finally the last 5+ years or so, we have had season tickets and are also members of the Pride Club. I also attended the heartbreaker- 2 OT semifinal loss against W&M in Baltimore a few years ago which was probably the second most unbelievable sporting event I have ever attended.

I am also a season ticket holder for the Giants and also a Yankees and Rangers fan. But I have to say I love HU hoops just as much as any of the other teams I root for if not more.
Pride97

support for mbb

Post by Pride97 »

I graduated in 97. I will admit I didn’t follow the basketball team when I was in school (went to a handful of football games). I moved to Los Angeles shortly after I left Hofstra. I started following the Speedy teams shortly after. Would go to a few games when I traveled back east. I moved back to NY about 10 years ago and would buy tickets for all weekend games since I work in Manhattan and weekdays games were difficult. Recently I have had a little more flexibility in my hours so I started going more. I’ve been a season ticket holder for the past three years in section 101 and rarely miss a game. I would consider myself a die hard at this point (I think everyone on these boards would say the same). Hofstra basketball is the #1 sport I root for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:I have been a Hofstra athlete, employee, super fan and booster, been a season ticket holder since the Mack opened and Pride a Club member as well as officer for a number of years.

Believe it or not it was football...but we all know what happened to that program.

Oh and I was part of the 76-77 basketball team that was inducted into Hofstra's Athletics Hall of Fame as SID and I received the Joe Margiotta award for lifetime support of Hofstra Athletics...forgot those two items.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
Wags wrote:

Believe it or not it was football...but we all know what happened to that program.

Oh and I was part of the 76-77 basketball team that was inducted into Hofstra's Athletics Hall of Fame as SID and I received the Joe Margiotta award for lifetime support of Hofstra Athletics...forgot those two items.
That's awesome! What position in football? (yes, don't remind us... still hoping they can be like Villanova, which dropped their program for a long time before resurrecting it and quickly thereafter winning an FCS title).

So you played with Rich Laurel! And Ken Rood, and John Irving, right?

Congrats on the award!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Dooku25 wrote:Started following the team while I was a student in 1998 after noticing on MSG that we beat Georgia Tech in the holiday festival. I thought wow, Georgia Tech, that's Bobby Cremins, that's the ACC, my school actually has a real basketball team.. I checked out my first game on campus shortly thereafter, Hofstra Delaware at the old PFC. Great battle between Mike Pegues, who was a great player for Delaware, and Speedy Claxton. We won the game when Speedy flew through the lane with his 40" vertical and hit the buzzer beater. I was hooked.

I was pretty spoiled as a student, 1 NIT and 2 NCAAT bids.. stormed the court with Cactus after beating Delaware to clinch the first NCAA bid.. Glory days.

For roughly the next 10 seasons after graduation, I'd buy single game tix to about 90% of home games, going with friends or my dad. I've also been to road games at St John's, Fordham, Drexel and Rutgers.. We would have won that NIT game at Rutgers but Speedy was out with an injury.. We ended up beating Rutgers a few times after that at MSG. Went to all those games as well at the Garden beating the Johnnies, Rutgers, and St Joe's which was my favorite.. Loren Stokes buzzer beater. Cactus and I also sat court side at the Garden for a game against Penn State which was a great college basketball game that we ultimately lost at the end. Some good times.

And finally the last 5+ years or so, we have had season tickets and are also members of the Pride Club. I also attended the heartbreaker- 2 OT semifinal loss against W&M in Baltimore a few years ago which was probably the second most unbelievable sporting event I have ever attended.

I am also a season ticket holder for the Giants and also a Yankees and Rangers fan. But I have to say I love HU hoops just as much as any of the other teams I root for if not more.
All of this, minus the Yankees, also pride club member. We have 8 season tickets between the two of us

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Started following Hofstra in '97-'98 when I was 11... they had a good team led by this Sophomore, Speedy Claxton. Best dressed coach in College too. First game was a 92-77 loss to UD at the PFC, I was hooked though.

I went to that '98 ECAC Holiday Festival where we crushed Georgia Tech, who beat #6 UNC earlier in the week... Bobby Cremins' family was talking trash to my Dad and I at the Roy Rogers across the street from the Garden, we got that last laugh. Was there for the '99 Festival when we came back to beat Rutgers, saw us beat St. John's for the first time in '01. Been to countless home games since.

I went to Hofstra as a freshman, probably because I loved the hoops team, did grad school at Hofstra too. Been all over supporting the team... went to the game up in UMass in a blizzard, we got crushed immediately. Went to a game up in URI, got crushed immediately. Went to Northeastern, down double digits before I could get in the building, I'm bad luck on the road! Went to Richmond, all of them in Baltimore, hoping to get to Charleston next year, when we're #1.

My favorite wins I've seen in person, other than the ones I mentioned, were in '06 when we went to Alumni Hall and came back on St. John's, all 5 starters played the whole 2nd half; and in the '11 season when Jenkins single-handedly beat Mason, lots of great wins!

Got season tickets when Joe came on board and got the Pride Club with my friends so we could get into the lounge before the game. I'm all in on this team!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags, I played football before Laurel, et al. I was the SID for our first two NCAA appearances...awesome experience!!!!!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Started following Hofstra in '97-'98 when I was 11... they had a good team led by this Sophomore, Speedy Claxton. Best dressed coach in College too. First game was a 92-77 loss to UD at the PFC, I was hooked though.

I went to that '98 ECAC Holiday Festival where we crushed Georgia Tech, who beat #6 UNC earlier in the week... Bobby Cremins' family was talking trash to my Dad and I at the Roy Rogers across the street from the Garden, we got that last laugh. Was there for the '99 Festival when we came back to beat Rutgers, saw us beat St. John's for the first time in '01. Been to countless home games since.

I went to Hofstra as a freshman, probably because I loved the hoops team, did grad school at Hofstra too. Been all over supporting the team... went to the game up in UMass in a blizzard, we got crushed immediately. Went to a game up in URI, got crushed immediately. Went to Northeastern, down double digits before I could get in the building, I'm bad luck on the road! Went to Richmond, all of them in Baltimore, hoping to get to Charleston next year, when we're #1.

My favorite wins I've seen in person, other than the ones I mentioned, were in '06 when we went to Alumni Hall and came back on St. John's, all 5 starters played the whole 2nd half; and in the '11 season when Jenkins single-handedly beat Mason, lots of great wins!

Got season tickets when Joe came on board and got the Pride Club with my friends so we could get into the lounge before the game. I'm all in on this team!
Enjoyed reading this.. Enjoyed reading everyone's actually. My favorite games that I attended besides the 2 AE championships, would probably be the first time we beat St Johns at the Coliseum, beating St Joe's at MSG then beating St John's to win the holiday festival at MSG, and beating George Mason at home in 06.

Favorite game watching on TV was probably the 2nd round NIT game at St Joe's. That was such a hostile environment and the game went back and forth and in to OT. Pecora actually ran some offensive plays late in the game that worked :lol: That was an amazing win for us.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Thanks for starting this topic. It is fun to read the backgrounds of some of the posters and great to see some students on the board. Attending and participating in athletics were and are my fondest memories of Hofstra. I wish more of the student body understood and felt that way. Hopefully you and others can build that spirit in others that those of us on this board share so passionately. If 72 is old; what is 59?
Pre-historic; and thanks to older friends that drove I attended many events in multiple sports, primarily football, wrestling, lacrosse and basketball prior to entering Hofstra in 55. While at Hofstra as an undergrad and graduate student I was a gym rat and attended everything I could and then some. As a non driver I hitchhiked home(Glen Head) under lamp posts and at lights many a night. I ran track. The coach Walter(Brick) Stone was also the wrestling coach and encouraged me to go out for wrestling as well, which I did. On rare occasions I even hitch hiked to away events. Perhaps my worst but most memorable experience was hitch hiking up to West Point with a student and friend Desi Louchman. To say the hitching was bad doesn't do it justice. We arrived just in time to enter the mess hall when the scores of the day were being announced and to hear the roar of the cadets when Army 77 Hofstra 74 in 2xOT's was announced. My memory is not what it was but Evan is quite a stat guy and keeps us honest.
The good news is we barely made it in time to get a ride back to Hofstra on the team bus or we might still be out there. I have been a Pride club member for decades.
I have lived in Minneapolis since 66, while wintering elsewhere for the past 11 years, Florida for the past 4. I have returned to Hofstra from time to time for events and schmoozed with and become friends with a number of the coaches over the years. I do less of both now but did attend our November tournaments in Charleston, Estero and St Thomas.
My thanks to all of you who post and I am particularly appreciative of recruiting info and informative links. Go Pride!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

fiftiespride wrote: We arrived just in time to enter the mess hall when the scores of the day were being announced and to hear the roar of the cadets when Army 77 Hofstra 74 in 2xOT's was announced. My memory is not what it was but Evan is quite a stat guy and keeps us honest.
I'm 33, and I have no idea when that game was. The CAA has statistics going back to 2005-2006. Hofstra's Media Guide has all their scores, but I'm rarely going to know or be able to look up details about games before 2005-2006. I remember being a fan in 1998-1999 when Hofstra was good but not the best in the America East. I attended my first game when I was a freshman in 2003-2004. Hofstra is the only professional or college team I have gone to games as a neutral or away team three times. I saw the 2016 CAA Quarterfinal and Semifinal and a game at Binghamton because I visit relatives every Thanksgiving and coincidentally Hofstra was there.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I grew up in Nassau County and still live 15 minutes from the Mack. My brother is a HU graduate, but i am not. I never attended HU. I started going to MBB games about 15 years ago when my son (now 26) was in middle school playing organized hoops. Started out attending a few games first year and the fun we had led to us attending 7-10 home games per season. Son went off to college and my daughter (who is 10 years younger) started playing hoops on her middle school and then JV high school team. She has since stopped playing (the players on her varsity team are recruited from all over and she just can't compete at that level) but still enjoys going to the games with me. We have had season tix for about the last 5 years. Daughter is off to college in 6 months and is likely headed to the dark side (Nova) :shock:

I was a scholarship baseball player in school and continued playing (for about 7-8 years) after graduation. Traveled around the country playing in high level tournaments against top college players and ex pros who could not yet be convinced to hang up the spikes. I've always been extremely competitive (when it came to all sports), and always found myself playing on championship teams - that's probably why my posts always focus on winning and not accepting any excuses :lol: That's the way I always played - sorry guys, it must be genetic or something :lol:

So next year, i hope to bring my neighbor and/or one of my golf buds to the home games (both have been already and enjoyed the experience). Pack the Mack!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is great stuff very interesting and better then arguing about new coaches and our lack of defensive play! LOL Thanks to everyone for sharing!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I started as a fan for the 04-05 season which was my freshman year. Basically never missed a home game my sophomore through senior year. Would get to the games an hour early to get the first or second row. After I graduated I would try to go to most of the games and then when the Mihalich era started I bought season tickets and have been to most of the home games plus a few road games per year. Including all the home games this season plus stony brook and Villanova. I have three season tickets and I am in a block with two friends for a total of eight seats. Have pride club lounge access as well and that has been great. Very well run by the school with the food, raffles and coaches visiting pre game.