MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by Dooku25 »

OK found a few things on this kid. Looks like he committed to Drake and then backed out. Is having a tremendous senior year. Contender for all-state. Strong defender who has drastically improved his offensive game in his SR season. Hofstra saw him on the same day as Missouri St and Brown. Would think we can land this guy if this is who we are competing against..
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great start Dooku, thanks my friend!

Perhaps we are all better served to gain Flying Dutchmen's analysis first?

Lay it on us FD...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We offered Shawn Roundtree out of Mineral Area College (JUCO). He started his career at Missouri State.
https://twitter.com/Tree_Round/status/8 ... 8464185345
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Appreciate the lede Polito, I do have some thoughts on what's been transpiring the last few weeks:

Kirk looks like a really good fit for our offense. No doubt he can get to the rack, the kid is aggressive and quick, not a bad shooter. I don't think he would be particularly undersized for the CAA either (listed 6-1-6-3). I think his game would play really well in the CAA.

I'm not sure we have a real good chance at getting him considering it looks like we're a little late to the game with the offer, he backed out of the Drake offer when their coach resigned, but he's been getting tons of MVC/MAC level offers. It's obvious why we're jumping in with it though, he does the things on the court that our coaches value. I guess try to sell the work Speedy has done with JWF, it's definitely shown from Freshman to Sophomore year. Having Kirk and Ray in our backcourt for four years would be awesome. Maybe this shows that the staff is looking to develop Ray more as a SG, and wants to pick up one more PG for the class.

I don't know too much about Roundtree, but I do think we could use another PG for next season, he may be a more likely get than Kirk, he seemed pretty pumped to get an offer from us this week, good spot PoP.

Tripp is an interesting prospect for us, he's like a righty Tank, undersized at 6-4 but big body. We need a guy who can go inside and bang for boards and layups, we're missing that so much this season. South Plains is a top JC, but I kind of feel like we got burned by South Plains with Che Bob who we recruited pretty hard last year, he ended up committing to Little Rock, then after their coach left, he took a late offer from Colorado St. Tripp is a BK guy though, so he may want to come home and right now his other offers are on the west coast. I just feel like he may be holding out for a major conference offer though.
Cards

Post by Cards »

hopefully coaches are looking into Veer Singh. He just transferred out of Seton Hall. May have to sit for a year (not sure), but he is a 4 star 6'7" - 6'8" guy who could fit in nicely at the 4 spot for HU. he finished the fall semester at SH and is transferring somewhere - why not HU? Reminds me of Koons a little.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If we can add a productive 4 [maybe Trueheart is the man or maybe he provides depth at the position ], a quality 3 to play behind Pemberton, and a PG we will be in good shape next season
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Really hope Buie recovers 100% and blossoms the way JWF did
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

We need "Length"
Polito

Post by Polito »

Staff usually believes in the same - if you look at most of their recruits, when the height is lacking the length helps to ease that negative a bit. Still, no question this team needs some size in the guard spots.

All of the PG's offered recently are more in the true point mold, which is exactly what is needed. All have some real talent - even Roundtree, who I equate to an Upshaw scenario in that he has talent that did not translate well in their system. If you look at his HS years he's an all-state player who averaged 5, 6, 9, and 8 assists each year. Staff must believe he can flourish here with the right system and teammates.

I am surprised though by the midwest offers for guys with no ties east... will be interesting to see if one wants to come this way. HU had the 6'5 wing Lucas Williamson from Chi-town on campus for a visit awhile back and JM was out to see him in person, but he didn't pull the trigger.

Tripp is a more logical offer with his NY roots. I am for him IF they plan to use him 1-2. Don't think he's undersized at all there. 3/4 would be an issue. IMO the 3 should be 6'5-6'6 and the 4 between 6'6-6'8.

Singh is an interesting one... VERY quiet - like crickets since his announcement. Me thinks he has been exposed a bit as somewhat limited. Still has talent, can drain the 3, can rebound, and do some good 4 spot things. But he isn't great with the ball, not real athletic, and I'm not certain on his D. Good size for the position... is he worth the shot? Maybe. But interesting that there hasn't been much chatter on him at all. Just seems odd.

Important thing as noted by others is the staff also views the 1 and 4 as THE most important/vital spots to fill in this class - and I guarantee they will. Greer has unfortunately been a bust - it happens - he was worth the shot, just didn't pan out. Robinson is a role guy off the bench - but more a 3 than 4 anyway.

Count me in the crowd that is praying Trueheart can play that position well. And there is no reason whatsoever not to place the expectation on him to fill that role right away. That's exactly what he was brought here for. That's why he's RS, to acclimate and transition and be ready to step on the floor as a top option next year. To not expect that is funny to me - he isn't here to pass out water lol. He's here to make an impact. And if he can't, then that will show and adjustments will be made, just as with Greer. But having another 4 ready to play day 1 next season is a must regardless - must have 2 on roster.

Decent job Flying Dutchmen... clearly I am rubbing off on you. Don't think we got burned by South Plains though, just by Bob. Remember, Malik Nichols is a SP guy. Relations are fine there. And quite frankly, Bob made a mistake, got caught up in the flash in the pan UALR hype. He would've been a featured guy here.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Any word on recruits from the '16 class that prepped this year?

Steffon Mitchell - http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/steffon-mitchell

He's prepping at the Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, could bring some needed size to the roster, and he seems to have a jumper.

Cahiem Brown - http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/cahiem-brown

He's prepping at Eleate Prep in Riverside, CA. I mean this kid looks like Charles Jenkins, he's not a PG, but he's got skills we could use in our offense, he's a tough guard that will mix it up down low.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Iona's hosting a few recruits:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/02/23/iona ... s-weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interesting you bring up Brown - not sure HU ever went hard after him, but I actually felt like they should have - I think he and Pemba were friends, and thought that might be a good setup - haven't heard his name since, so doubt there's any interest

Looks like another Illinois offer out to a 6'4 SG Rod Henry-Hayes - sounds like a big guard who can pour in points, esp from deep

JM has a mid-west connect that helps to provide key insight in that region - all of these guys appear to be very solid D1 players who are somewhat overlooked / under-recruited at this stage - likely where all of this interest is coming from. UW-Milwaukee seems to be right with HU on a lot of these guys, which is a good sign - real solid program, so helps to set at ease that these guys are actually real sleepers rather than desperate shots in the dark lol

Staff must believe they can lure someone from out there to NY, otherwise wouldn't be wasting the time.

Some nice recruits in that visit list for Iona. Wonder if HU holds any big recruit events like this, or if they prefer smaller group or individual time? One isn't necessarily better than the other, just a style preference. Tough to tell as HU keeps things pretty close to the vest...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agreed Polito...Midwest seems to be in the cards for Joe and HU...Greer for example...As for keeping things close to the vest in recruiting we are the exact opposite of Iona...funny how that works!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Iona like a bowl of pasta. Cook it up throw it against the fridge and see what sticks.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

I would love to have that many recruits come for a visit.

I personally wanted Tim Cluess as the HC.
stuball888 wrote:Iona like a bowl of pasta. Cook it up throw it against the fridge and see what sticks.
garyg

Post by garyg »

You may have wanted Cleuss but apparently he had no desire to leave Iona for Hofstra
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:You may have wanted Cleuss but apparently he had no desire to leave Iona for Hofstra
Totally not true, he wanted to come, Iona wanted a million dollar buyout and Hofstra was not going to be blackmailed...Fact is we got the better man.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Does anyone know what Cluess makes at Iona. Didnt he sign an extensioin a couple of years ago.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:Does anyone know what Cluess makes at Iona. Didnt he sign an extensioin a couple of years ago.
Just over 500k, per NYC buckets, and it looks like he's under contract through the 2020-21 season. We probably offered him a little more than that.
http://www.nycbuckets.com/head-coach-contract-tracker/
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Doesn't JAM make less than Cluess