Game 17 - @ Charleston

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Game 17 - @ Charleston

Post by ProudofPride »

We have a game in less than an hour. Charleston is currently 3-0 in conference play, and they're a very good defensive team. After our last few lackluster performances, I'm not expecting a win, but at this point I hope the team plays like they actually care. It's still early, plenty of time for the guys to turn it around.
Cards

Re: Game 17 - @ Charleston

Post by Cards »

Shake-up - JWF and JR starting over DP and TG. Unless guys are injured, this a quite a change.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I don't know why Greer and Powers aren't starting, but if Powers were to be injured, we would have lost two point guards. Wright-Foreman and Robinson are starting. Without Powers, our only guard on the bench would be Klementowicz.

Hofstra leads 4-2.

Edit: College of Charleston's video says both teams have 5 timeouts left, but now teams get 4 timeouts. Hofstra leads 8-6 with 15:26 left in the first half, and Hofstra hasn't committed any fouls. Bernardi and Pemberton have 4 points each.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We looked good early, up 11-6, then we collapsed, CofC went on a 10-0 run, not missing a field goal in the span, they're now shooting 75% and are up 16-11. We haven't scored in almost 3 minutes, and are shooting 38.5%.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Powers and Greer have entered. Greer has shot field goals 0-3.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

This team does not pass to the big guys!!! It's hilarious how may times they stand open under the hoop wide open, to be honest.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

15 fouls called in the first 15 minutes, 8 on HU, 7 on CofC. It's making the game hard to watch since there's literally a whistle every minute.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

These refs seem very strict... would rather this than the past BS refs we've dealt with this season though...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Mike34 wrote:These refs seem very strict... would rather this than the past BS refs we've dealt with this season though...
That's true, at least both sides are being called this time.

Pemba just had a 3 nice 3 to being us within 1, 32-31, but then CofC hits 3 consecutive 3's to give them their largest lead of the day, 41-31. Hard to win games when you let an opponent shoot 85.7 % (6-7) from 3 and well over 50% overall. Charleston comes into this game with the worst 3 point percentage in the conference, but of course that'll improve when you face literally no defense. Largest first half scoring offense for Charleston this season, they only average about 64 points total, and they already have about ⅔ of that.
Cards

Post by Cards »

no use of our big men at all. Just have them set pics and then try to get rebounds! What a waste :shock:
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

A terrible waste. So far Sabety has been open under the basket 6 times /9 mins and Gustys 3 times / 11 mins
Polito

Post by Polito »

Guys not starting doesn't mean injury, it could also mean illness - don't need to jump to injury conclusions.

But in THIS case as we've seen it had nothing to do with either - it's a total shakeup of the lineup - this team is really struggling, and I don't think the staff has the answer... desperately searching for something that will spark better play - no issue with it, these players need a wake up call.

Once again the defense is pitiful allowing CofC to blow past their typical scoring and it's only halftime

All I see is BB get beat time after time - liability every time he's on the floor. It's a shame, pulling for the kid, but he's hurting this team. He needs to start hitting shots at a MUCH higher rate to be worth the minutes he's still getting.

Powers quite frankly should be very displeased with HIMSELF for literally playing himself to a bench role. That's clearly not good. But if you are not going to lead and distribute the ball, then you need to learn a painful lesson. Hope it works.

Nice to see Greer hit a big 3 to head into halftime, but my goodness HU needs MUCH more from him - he's coming along a lot slower than I had hoped...actually, I don't see much development or improvement or increased comfort at all - disappointed - looking for MUCH more impact from him

I see a LOT of inconsistency with this squad - makes it very tough for the staff - these guys were recruited and brought in here to score, and if they aren't getting that done it's going to be a looooooooong yr.

Flip side the staff needs to adjust and get the ball to the big men - why this isn't happening is EXTREMELY frustrating, and I think it's time the staff was asked this question directly and provides an answer. If it's something we're not understanding, it would be very helpful for us to get it.

Another game where this team is down double-digits all too often - have to once again dig out of a hole in the 2nd. Hope they are up for it. This road trip as JM said is going to tell whether this team is going to be a good team or not.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And right on cue BB misses another great look 3 and then promptly got destroyed on the other end.

Needs to sit, and just has.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Sabety open 10 times now since the start! Come on look around!!! Beyond frustrating.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

still waiting for someone other than JWF and Pemba to show up for this game. Now down 13. Gustys has been sitting for a while with 0 points (on only one shot, since the team refuses to pass him the ball) and 3 fouls.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good Lord... this team is just not very good. I'm officially concerned about this season.

CoC is a much better team. Big men that have offensive moves, turn arounds and baby hooks - and their guards hit their shots when they shoot. HU just is not hitting shots at all these last few games.

I don't see HU's big men getting open at all fellas, not sure what you're watching. And on top of that there's no PG that has the creativity and the moves to MAKE them open. Tough combo to win with.

BUT a WALKER sighting!!! AND he blocked 2 shots - HUGE defensive presence - NO reason for him to not have played until now. Very disappointed in the staff on that one.

Other bright spots are JWF is a BALLER - superstar player. And so is Pemba.

Unfortunately this is a 2 man team...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Andre Walker officially has more points than Gustys in this game. He should stay in for a while, despite his early foul. the team is on a 7-0 with him in.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Polito - big men are open way too much, and get zero looks.

I like what Im seeing from Andre Walker, 2 blocks, 2 pts, 1 reb in what FEELS like his 4 only real minutes of the season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Nah, I don't see it mike34, Sabety has not been open, at least not in this half - I'm watching him, he's not moving fast enough to get open after the pick - I'm watching the guards looking for him and he turns too late, or is not ready.

Neither him nor Gustys are getting open like I'm hearing from a lot of you.

BAD call on Rok, but I can't stand when is at the top of the key...

Bottom line is I'm seeing a lot of mistakes and poor play from this team. I'm concerned. I just don't think they are very good right now.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And Cards I know you've been supportive of Rok and I agree it's not all him, but I'm sorry he HAS to shoulder what's happening this year with his play - he is completely being taken out of games and making minimal impact.

That is not ok for a player of his importance and being one of the upperclassmen leader of this team. He MUST improve.