RIP JOHN IRVING

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

RIP JOHN IRVING

Post by HUSID80 »

John Irving, probably the best big man in Hofstra history passed away this weekend. John came to Hofstra from the University of Arizona where he started as a freshman. He came to Hofstra and helped the Flying Dutchmen win two ECC Championships and go on to the school's first ever NCAA Tournament appearances in 1976 and 1977. John led the country in rebounding in 1976 and just missed out on a repeat in 1977 finishing second.

The Baton Rouge native was a great warrior, friend and teammate. He will be missed. Our condolences to John's entire family.
stuball888

Re: RIP JOHN IRVING

Post by stuball888 »

One of the greats of our mens basketball program. R.I.P John.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I remember John well, one of the best rebounders we ever had. Way too young to leave us.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Arnold Coleman, who was point guard on those NCAA teams also died recently.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Sorry to hear about John Irving...if I remember correctly the starting 5 for the NCAA tourney team were Irving, Richie Laurel, Pat Kammerer [probably spelled wrong], Coleman, & Bernard Tomlin
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Ken rood started for us both NCAA years. Tomlin started in 76 and graduated. Willie Vickers was the starting PG in 76-77.
garyg

Post by garyg »

That is right...forgot about Ken Rood....good shooter
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:That is right...forgot about Ken Rood....good shooter
He would have been one of our all-time leading scorers if there was a three point line in those days...was also drafted by the Nets...Real good player...What Bernardi should become
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Found this online:

Former Howard basketball star John Irving, 61, died Sunday in Atlanta. A first-team All-State pick in 1971-72, Irving led Howard in scoring and rebounding as the Wildcats reached the state semifinals. The 6-foot-9 Irving spent one season at Arizona, then transferred to Hofstra and averaged 13.2 points and 15.4 rebounds per game over three seasons. He led the nation in rebounding (15.3 per game) in 1975 and helped Hofstra reach the NCAA Tournament twice. He was selected by Detroit in the third round of the 1977 NBA draft, but never played in the NBA. He played professionally in England, France and Belgium, and is a member of the Hofstra Athletics Hall of Fame and Delaware High School Basketball Hall of Fame.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/spo ... /25750049/

Irving was a great player for us. Anyone know the cause of death?
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

When Willis Reed was coach of the Knicks he visited Hofstra and my wife told him to look into John Irving. I believe it was a year after John graduated. That recommendation also got coverage in Newsday.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:Found this online:

Former Howard basketball star John Irving, 61, died Sunday in Atlanta. A first-team All-State pick in 1971-72, Irving led Howard in scoring and rebounding as the Wildcats reached the state semifinals. The 6-foot-9 Irving spent one season at Arizona, then transferred to Hofstra and averaged 13.2 points and 15.4 rebounds per game over three seasons. He led the nation in rebounding (15.3 per game) in 1975 and helped Hofstra reach the NCAA Tournament twice. He was selected by Detroit in the third round of the 1977 NBA draft, but never played in the NBA. He played professionally in England, France and Belgium, and is a member of the Hofstra Athletics Hall of Fame and Delaware High School Basketball Hall of Fame.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/spo ... /25750049/

Irving was a great player for us. Anyone know the cause of death?
I know he had some heart issues but can't confirm or deny it as cause of death