2022-23 CAA MBB Weekly Awards

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

2022-23 CAA MBB Weekly Awards

Post by Wags »

Figured I'd start a thread for this with the potential of Hofstra players to add to this often throughout the season. Here's the first one - Marshall gets his first ROW for his game at Princeton:

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 0815985664
triplec2195

Re: 2022-23 CAA MBB Weekly Awards

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Figured I'd start a thread for this with the potential of Hofstra players to add to this often throughout the season. Here's the first one - Marshall gets his first ROW for his game at Princeton:

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 0815985664
He follows that up with a scoreless 5 minutes against Iona. I wonder how well he’ll play the rest of the season assuming he gets some minutes.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I wonder how many times a player has ever had a scoreless game in a week he won an award.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:I wonder how many times a player has ever had a scoreless game in a week he won an award.
For POW, could be never. But for ROW, it might not be that uncommon. Guessing in this case, that Princeton game was enough because there weren't any other freshmen in the league who did that much last week, which may be a common thing since a lot freshmen may not see many minutes if any at all on a lot of teams in a given week.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Estrada shares POW (based on GW and San Jose games). Amare Marshall claims ROW (two weeks in row).

Congrats to both - keep it up :D
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Estrada shares POW (based on GW and San Jose games). Amare Marshall claims ROW (two weeks in row).

Congrats to both - keep it up :D
Well done guys
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Watching Amare as a rookie reminds me a bit of JWF - the fearless attitude driving to the hoop. Kid could be a future stud for us. Hopefully Speedy keeps playing him, #3 barely saw the court as a rook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchalum01 wrote:Watching Amare as a rookie reminds me a bit of JWF - the fearless attitude driving to the hoop. Kid could be a future stud for us. Hopefully Speedy keeps playing him, #3 barely saw the court as a rook.

Nice awards but comparing Marshall to JWF WOW IDK about that but maybe Marshall is a better D player right now then JWF but remember Marshall already has a redshirt year so he came into this year a bit more prepared then Justin did in his first year.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:Watching Amare as a rookie reminds me a bit of JWF - the fearless attitude driving to the hoop. Kid could be a future stud for us. Hopefully Speedy keeps playing him, #3 barely saw the court as a rook.

Nice awards but comparing Marshall to JWF WOW IDK about that but maybe Marshall is a better D player right now then JWF but remember Marshall already has a redshirt year so he came into this year a bit more prepared then Justin did in his first year.
As far as both AM seemingly coming out of nowhere into a exciting Sophomore Season I loosely agree with that comparison of AM and JFW -

AM is such a pleasant surprise - has really nice game ... JFW did get into a bunch of games as a Freshman - mostly garbage time - but between watching him in warmups and that garbage time we also a crazy fearless athlete and wondered why he wasnt getting real minutes - and then boom

I guess with AM - not playing at all his first year here - that makes him a Freshman for us this year - and that being the case his all-around game makes me excited
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

JWF one of my all time favorite players here and a major,major talented basketball player. The kid could play over the rim could make the most difficult of shots look easy and just a great player who worked tirelessly to become what he was and get drafted in the 2nd round. If he had a weakness I guess it was playing the point. Just a shooting guard at the end of the day. If he had some Buie PG skills he would be playing for an NBA team right now. Marshall just an unknown right now with definite skills an a developing player.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I can't put much stock in these early-season awards. I mean, 25 ppg for Estrada merits recognition, but there must be no other newcomer worth highlighting if Amare, who I like very much, can win ROTW honors twice in three weeks.

The player who SHOULD be earning recognition -- and is not -- is Dubar. He is underperforming seriously if this team hopes to win consistently, ranking LAST among 40 players in 3P% shooting in the CAA:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... g-per-game

Also, keep an eye on Plotnikov. He ranks fourth in the conference in 3P% -- two spots AHEAD of Estrada.

I'd also like to see what Barrouk can do playing 10-12 minutes in a game. He came here with a reputation as a solid scorer.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:I can't put much stock in these early-season awards. I mean, 25 ppg for Estrada merits recognition, but there must be no other newcomer worth highlighting if Amare, who I like very much, can win ROTW honors twice in three weeks.

The player who SHOULD be earning recognition -- and is not -- is Dubar. He is underperforming seriously if this team hopes to win consistently, ranking LAST among 40 players in 3P% shooting in the CAA:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... g-per-game

Also, keep an eye on Plotnikov. He ranks fourth in the conference in 3P% -- two spots AHEAD of Estrada.

I'd also like to see what Barrouk can do playing 10-12 minutes in a game. He came here with a reputation as a solid scorer.
It's much too early to spend too much time dwelling on stats right now. D-Stone shot 34% for the year last year I would expect he will be around there when the season is over. Really small sample size right now. The fact that he went scoreless does bother me some in a game we needed him to show out on but again it's just one game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Amare gets his third consecutive ROTW award. https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/11/28/m ... -week.aspx I know there are other rookies in this league!! Impressive anyway you look at it. He has been a big plus for us.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Amare gets his 4th rookie of the week award in the CAA. No denying the great game he had against Purdue but yesterday a poor offensive outing nevertheless a very pleasant surprise for us this year. https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/12/12/m ... shall.aspx