Joe Mihalich Extended

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Joe Mihalich Extended

Post by HUSID74 »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/4/1/men ... nsion.aspx

With chaos throughout the CAA, nice to know we have Joe at the helm through 2024.

Thought this news deserved its own thread.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Re: Joe Mihalich Extended

Post by Cards »

What does this mean for Speedy? Does he even have an interest in a head coaching job? If yes, is it HU or no where? Does he bolt for a high end program. My understanding is that he is settled on LI with his family.
Would be a real hit to the program if he left - recruiting, player development.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/4/1/men ... nsion.aspx

With chaos throughout the CAA, nice to know we have Joe at the helm through 2014.

Thought this news deserved its own thread.
I guess u meant 2024 I don't really want to go BACK TO THE FUTURE. LOL Right now I'm pretty content with what I see HERE just need to get to the next rung of the ladder. Kudos to Joe and staff but lets have Speedy waiting in the wings due to the precarious nature of college basketball coaches!!
dutchalum01

Joe Mihalich Extended

Post by dutchalum01 »

I anticipate Speedy taking the helm of another program, and if he finds success, this will have long term effect on HU. I appreciate what Joe has done for the program, however, We need to take the next step and win the tournament. I’ve watched just about every Hofstra game coached by JAM and he’s done nothing to indicate a change in coaching style. I would at best give Joe another year to make the tournament and move forward if we don’t. We plain and simple need to see more - I’m not satisfied with 3 championship appearances only to keep losing and not make the tournament since I was enrolled. I’ve said it a million times, you cannot win over 3 days in 3 games with 7 guys. No reason we don’t let more guys see the floor. If things don’t change the department needs to make a change.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

dutchalum01 wrote:I anticipate Speedy taking the helm of another program, and if he finds success, this will have long term effect on HU. I appreciate what Joe has done for the program, however, We need to take the next step and win the tournament. I’ve watched just about every Hofstra game coached by JAM and he’s done nothing to indicate a change in coaching style. I would at best give Joe another year to make the tournament and move forward if we don’t. We plain and simple need to see more - I’m not satisfied with 3 championship appearances only to keep losing and not make the tournament since I was enrolled. I’ve said it a million times, you cannot win over 3 days in 3 games with 7 guys. No reason we don’t let more guys see the floor. If things don’t change the department needs to make a change.
Be careful what you wish for...look around and see what's happening in the business and even in our conference...even the vaunted Coen at Northeastern lost two top players this year.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HUSID74 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:I anticipate Speedy taking the helm of another program, and if he finds success, this will have long term effect on HU. I appreciate what Joe has done for the program, however, We need to take the next step and win the tournament. I’ve watched just about every Hofstra game coached by JAM and he’s done nothing to indicate a change in coaching style. I would at best give Joe another year to make the tournament and move forward if we don’t. We plain and simple need to see more - I’m not satisfied with 3 championship appearances only to keep losing and not make the tournament since I was enrolled. I’ve said it a million times, you cannot win over 3 days in 3 games with 7 guys. No reason we don’t let more guys see the floor. If things don’t change the department needs to make a change.
Be careful what you wish for...look around and see what's happening in the business and even in our conference...even the vaunted Coen at Northeastern lost two top players this year.
I get it, but there comes a time you need to make a move. I’m not saying get rid of JAM now, however, we need to take the next step. Hopefully next year we do. If not, offer the position to Speedy - he’s had a hand in recruiting these players, I do not see a mass exodus when and if that happens.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I believe this is the second time they have extended his contract without an NCAA appearance...IMO they should have waited until he put Hofstra in the dance...I said this after his first extension as well...now if they do not make the tournament and they want to make a change in say, 2 years, they are still contractually obligated to pay JAM for 3 more years...
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:I believe this is the second time they have extended his contract without an NCAA appearance...IMO they should have waited until he put Hofstra in the dance...I said this after his first extension as well...now if they do not make the tournament and they want to make a change in say, 2 years, they are still contractually obligated to pay JAM for 3 more years...
IDK any of the contractual details (opt out clauses, mutual agreement clauses, etc.) but I agree garyg. There are many items that we can all attest to regarding JMs contributions to the Program, but no dance appearances, and even poor NIT showings are quite glaring. Should have waited.
bean-pie

Post by bean-pie »

garyg wrote:I believe this is the second time they have extended his contract without an NCAA appearance...IMO they should have waited until he put Hofstra in the dance...I said this after his first extension as well...now if they do not make the tournament and they want to make a change in say, 2 years, they are still contractually obligated to pay JAM for 3 more years...
100 agree.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I believe the extension helps with recruiting to show a very stable mid-major program. We do not know any of the wording of the contract clauses, but I think Coach Joe would be about 67 at the end of the extended 5 years. Maybe Speedy was given some assurances on extra responsibilities for the HU program. This could all be a plan to optimize the look of HU to possible recruits.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Maybe Speedy will be named associate head coach with more $$$$$
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Stuball888, Speedy to associate head coach is a great suggestion. It also would be a big help in recruiting.
bean-pie

Post by bean-pie »

This ^^^
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I mean I love Speedy, but half the time it doesn’t seem like he knows or cares what team we’re playing, anyone who thinks he’s the HC in waiting is nuts. I honestly think he does this job for fun and the love of the school, he definitely doesn’t need to do it.

As for extending Joe, I think it was well deserved and as Shadow said, it shows recruits we have a stable HC at the helm.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Speedy is the reason JWF came to Hofstra and stayed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Speedy is the reason JWF came to Hofstra and stayed.
That proves he can recruit, not that he can coach. Maybe he can, but that's proof.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:Speedy is the reason JWF came to Hofstra and stayed.
JWF wasn't highly recruited, more importantly, Speedy DEVELOPED JWF.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Totally agree. Joe has shown that he can be a decent coach. Wins and losses aside, he has NEVER won the big game for us. Not sure why the extension was needed. Maybe coaching for his job would light the fire that propels us to the illustrious CAA Tourney Championship win.
Polito

Post by Polito »

With FD on Speedy - I don't think he's ready to be a HC. And agree on who knows if he really wants to. The HC is a CEO, I don't see that yet. Has displayed very few of those qualities thus far. I think he can, but needs to show more of that dynamic ability, passion, and desire.

And look, I certainly can't go crazy about the extension after a 27 win year, but honestly I fail to see the need to do this now?? Pretty sure this wasn't his contract year?? This is now the 2nd time HU has extended him in a year where it was really unnecessary.

Yes, I get it about stability and recruiting. But so far all I see is a staff being rewarded for being 'good' but still never cutting nets. I'm not saying punish the guys, they are great people and work their butts off, but come on, can we please raise the bar and put a little higher expectations on things?

This league stinks. And it's gotten even worse this offseason. The top coaches AND the top players leave nearly every year. Except from here. I mean how much easier does it have to get?! Friggin take advantage and win and go dancing already. Not like there's a league full of brutal talent and teams to go through - weaker than ever.

Kudos to JM, can't knock him, he's secured a great gig. He's a true standup guy, and I'm truly glad he is rewarded - not like he doesn't deserve a good setup. But my issue is this admin seems more focused on guaranteeing his retirement funding than actually elevating the program. JM is an absolute ZERO flight risk. He is on ZERO candidate lists and is zero threat to leave. This place is a golden parachute for him. He's just not at that 'rising star' stage anymore. Guy makes like triple what Mike Young has at Wofford, who has done a MUCH better job for a lot longer (who the Hokies foolishly felt the need to be the only P5 in 20 years to hire him away from for ridiculous money for a 55 year old guy like that - and only because he's a local VA product - he prob can't even believe VT did that lol)

Again I am glad to have a stable program, I don't think this was at all necessary at this very moment. All this means to me, and every one of us knows it deep down, is strong winning seasons with heart breaking collapses fighting for maybe 1-2 more one and done NIT's over these next 5 years.

(Although I've noted before how epically amazing it would be for them to finally cut nets in the year after JWF - I mean that would be something for the ages lol)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: (Although I've noted before how epically amazing it would be for them to finally cut nets in the year after JWF - I mean that would be something for the ages lol)
The Yankees won the 2009 World Series after Mike Mussina won 20 games for the first time and retired. Mussina won 270 games, which is tied for 33rd, and is the second most by a pitcher with at least one-third of his wins for the Yankees behind Red Ruffing. I was shocked at how few people voted for him for the Hall of Fame in his first year, and I'm happy he got in.