Hofstra vs UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Hofstra vs UNCW

Post by stuball888 »

A tough but winnable game coming up. While UNCW posses some problems we should prevail. Cacock is a beast at home but his numbers on the road are ordinary. If we can keep him to 12 points and 10 boards I will be happy with that their freshman point guard Towes is the real deal. He gets everyone else involved in the scoring. Keep him under 10 assts and limit his effectiveness and we should get a comfortable victory
HUSID74

Re: Hofstra vs UNCW

Post by HUSID74 »

We should be close to 10 point favs at home for this one although we have not been beating up anyone lately.

Looking for a good solid effort with a less stressful win and then a war with C of C on Saturday.

Big hoops weekend at the Mack...Hope we get some decent crowds and it would be nice if Newsday would do a feature on the streak to build some interest!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Don’t count on it John. However Chanel 12 gave a shoutout to Hofstra on their 12 game win streak
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I don't think many people read Newsday anymore. The daily paper costs $2.50. A subscription costs over $1,000 a year. People are getting their news for free on Facebook. Better to promote on social media and via email with coupon offers.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I get Newsday Sports online...still plenty of people, esp my age LOL get newspapers or read online.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:I get Newsday Sports online...still plenty of people, esp my age LOL get newspapers or read online.
Yes I'll second that however regarding the COC game I would have thought some major promotion would have been in the works a while ago. What is happening with this does anyone know??
Last edited by triplec2195 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: I get Newsday Sports online...still plenty of people, esp my age LOL get newspapers or read online.
FYI to read Newsday online you must give your address to prove you are a print subscriber, be an Altice customer (it used to be Optimum and I'm assuming this method of access is now for Altice but I'm a print subscriber so I don't need to know), or pay.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We're projected to be a big winner, but I don't see a blowout personally, but I expect us to pull away in the second half. UNCW has been the bane of our existence in the CAA. That's the team I really can't stand, rather than those nerds in Williamsburg.

Cacok will dominate inside, and UNCW can shoot the 3-ball, so I see it being an offensive game, as per usual. UNCW's guard play has fallen off a bit this year though, which gives us a major advantage.

UNCW fights for the offensive boards more than the last 3 teams we played, so we should get more opportunities in transition, we just need a big effort from the frontcourt to keep UNCW off the offensive glass.

It's time for Buie and Pemberton to step up, they've been cold from the perimeter as of late, we need them to step up and hit some shots to put this one away early, so we don't have to ride JWF down the stretch.

I think we have revenge on our minds after the loss in the CAAT last year, but I expect a close first half with Cacok dominating which will open up the perimeter, but UNCW will give us the chances to get right on offense, and we will put them away with style in the second half.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Except for the Mary's Knight, Taylor has done a pretty good job of handling our CAA opponents bigs.

Hopefully he will do the same against Cacock and let our guards do their damage.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: We're projected to be a big winner, but I don't see a blowout personally, but I expect us to pull away in the second half. UNCW has been the bane of our existence in the CAA. That's the team I really can't stand, rather than those nerds in Williamsburg.

Cacok will dominate inside, and UNCW can shoot the 3-ball, so I see it being an offensive game, as per usual. UNCW's guard play has fallen off a bit this year though, which gives us a major advantage.

UNCW fights for the offensive boards more than the last 3 teams we played, so we should get more opportunities in transition, we just need a big effort from the frontcourt to keep UNCW off the offensive glass.

It's time for Buie and Pemberton to step up, they've been cold from the perimeter as of late, we need them to step up and hit some shots to put this one away early, so we don't have to ride JWF down the stretch.

I think we have revenge on our minds after the loss in the CAAT last year, but I expect a close first half with Cacok dominating which will open up the perimeter, but UNCW will give us the chances to get right on offense, and we will put them away with style in the second half.
Both of our CAA Final losses were to them, but I don't have a problem with them.

They lead the CAA in rebounds per game, but have the most points per game allowed, most three-pointers per game allowed with 10.1, and the worst turnover differential per game. Their 182 three-pointers allowed are the third most of 353 teams. Five of their nine regulars are good shooters. Seven of them attempt a significant amount of threes. Ty Gadsden (32/58 = .552) and Jay Estime' (33/80 = .413) shoot threes great, while their third best percentage is .333. Estime' really has an apostrophe or accent mark at the end of his name. Other than Cacok, Jeantal Cylla is their only double-digit scorer averaging 13.9, and he's second on them with 4.7 rebounds. Graduate transfer Shawn O'Connell is third on them with 4.2 rebounds. He plays 18.9 minutes and is Cacok's sub, but they sometimes play together and combine to average 46.7 minutes. Kai Toews is third in Division I with 7.9 assists. If they lose their first CAA Tournament game, he's on pace for 252, which would break the CAA record of 251 by George Mason's Curtis McCants in 1994-1995 and Navy's Doug Wojcik in 1985-1986. The most by a CAA player since Hofstra joined is 244 by Northeastern's Jose Juan Barea in 2005-2006, which is third in CAA history. Green is fourth in CAA history with 243 in 2015-2016, which is our season record. Toews has a majority of their assists, which Green didn't do.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: They have the most points per game allowed, most three-pointers per game allowed with 10.1, and the worst turnover differential per game. Their 182 three-pointers allowed are the third most of 353 teams.
Circle this in red.

When they're on, we know Hofstra has several guys who can knock down the 3 and especially at home, can be good at forcing TOs, getting out on the break and getting easy buckets. Those areas, particularly with the stats Evan notes above, are what I'll be expecting HU to heavily exploit on Thursday night.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good take FD, and solid stats Evan / Wags.

I actually think HU gets up big on them, I think this team is very good and realizes the last 2 outings need to be better - little extra rest helps as well.

The real question is going to be, will they display the proper killer instinct and put them down and keep them down, or will they allow them to turn the tide??

I don't like this team allowing others to get them twisted and having to win from behind...let's get things clicking in prep for CofC - a smooth win on Thur that allows for some other guys to do work, would be a super scenario. Gonna need everyone primed for Sat.

Staff needs to make sure they aren't looking past them though either and getting early hyped for the Cougs - the W can still make you pay if you treat them weakly. Take care of biz, and let's set the stage.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Has anyone seen a line on this game yet??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I don't know of websites with lines before the day of the game. KenPom thinks we're 14.72 better, which would be 17.92 if you gave 3.20 for home court which is what Sagarin does.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:I don't know of websites with lines before the day of the game. KenPom thinks we're 14.72 better, which would be 17.92 if you gave 3.20 for home court which is what Sagarin does.
I like those numbers especially if they pan out. I don't want the angst of having the game decided on the last shot in regulation or IN O/T.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:I don't know of websites with lines before the day of the game. KenPom thinks we're 14.72 better, which would be 17.92 if you gave 3.20 for home court which is what Sagarin does.
I like those numbers especially if they pan out. I don't want the angst of having the game decided on the last shot in regulation or IN O/T.
Yeah, I think it's a day early for a line, but a few things to note until then:

* Hofstra owes UNCW. Including the CAA tourney, the Seahawks have won 5 of the last 6 and 7 of the last 10 in this series.
* The road team is 8-2 ATS in the past 10 in this series.
* The underdog is 7-2 ATS in the past 9 in this series.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pay. Back. Time.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Polito, The true Pay.Back.Time. can really only occur in March at the CAAT!!!! Until then, a few regular season victories will have to do.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Line opens at -12.5 for the Pride. We need to shoot well with Cacock still around. Can’t look ahead to CoC as UNCW has tormented us more than any other program. Just the logo alone scares me. Knock em out early and don’t look back, let’s make it a lucky 13.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Checked out UNCW's schedule in advance of tomorrow's game. How does UNCW get programs like Clemson (ACC); Stanford (Pac 10), Davidson (A 10), and an American Conference school like East Carolina to come to Trask for a home game?