MBB @ UNCW, Saturday, 1/29/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB @ UNCW, Saturday, 1/29/22, 7 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

CAA Game of the Weekend (at least for us). If we win and Towson loses to Drexel, we move up to second place:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/1/28/me ... newed.aspx
EvanJ

Re: MBB @ UNCW, Saturday, 1/29/22, 7 PM

Post by EvanJ »

https://uncwsports.com/news/2022/1/28/m ... pener.aspx is UNCW's preview. If they win, they will tie their team record with an 11 game winning streak. Their 11 game winning streak was in 2015-2016, when they came back to beat us in the CAA Final in overtime.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 012922.pdf is UNCW's Game Notes. Pages 4 through 6 are about every head-to-head game, and we lead the series 24-22.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yahoo sports is showing us as a 4.5 point favorite on the road. Imagine that not showing a lot of respect for their record OR just liking us. 142.5 O/U
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I wonder if snow will be problematic there maybe keeping some of their fans out of the stands?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

My brother-in-law lives near Wilmington in Southport and they are getting virtually nothing. Doubt it will be a factor by tonight. We have played in plenty of places with far tougher crowds than Trask this year so I don't think the crowd will be a factor.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes for sure this team is battle tested. There were over 14K in Arkansas I believe.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Yes for sure this team is battle tested. There were over 14K in Arkansas I believe.

Edit: http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2022 ... ngton.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Hofstra vs. UNC Wilmington." Estrada became our first player to score at least 30 points in 30 or fewer minutes since we joined the CAA. KenPom expects us to win 73-69.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Been paying attention from a distance, and have enjoyed doing so, much better for my sanity. I certainly don't see a champion yet, but I'm paying attention right now mostly to see Estrada - this kid has turned himself into a legit star - got a real chance at CPOY, one of the biggest surprises of the team and in the CAA. Outshining Ray and Cooks is def not something any of us thought coming in, not even Speedy/the staff!

Really like Dubar's ongoing development, and have to be pleased with Iyiola and Simmons filling the post - those two are really complimenting each other well, kudos to them and Parrotta.

But HU still needs to figure how to have 3 threats at the same time. The constant tradeoff between Cooks, Ray, and Estrada isn't going to cut it not to mention Ray is a shell of himself, for whatever reason. Time is running out for this group to get it together - their chance lies in the fact they still haven't been truly full force yet...

The environment will be tougher than Arkansas - has nothing to do with crowd size, Arkansas fans didn't even know who the heck HU was for goodness sake, you think they were going wild for an unknown mid major in the OOC? lol They were in shock the Backs didn't annihilate a no-name program, only got into it when things were real at the end.

It was a great experience for HU (and huge W for the team) as that crowd showed them playing in front of a big time audience. But tonight will be different.

The W has hoops pedigree, a lot more than HU, and a much better fanbase. It's a SATURDAY NIGHT game, there's not an ounce of worthy weather there to deal with, they are the top of the conf right now with a huge win streak, the place will likely be packed and loud.

I see a very tough game for HU. Win this and they might be on to something, but I'm not fooled by any of the previous wins. Most have been way too close.
Let's see how they handle tonight - toughest conf test of the year thus far. Chance for them to either prove they're real or prove they're not.

As far as UNCW, Takayo Siddle was an excellent hire, I called their turnaround under him, and he's showing it even sooner than expected.

I DEF did not think they would be very good this year, not so soon, that has absolutely surprised me. But all the W needs is a competent staff, and they return right to the top. This is trouble for HU of course, and everyone else.

This would be an AMAZING game to get to watch on a real tv network... too bad the CAA sucks. I'm not giving anything on flo hoops the time of day. I'll check the score online from time to time tonight and see how HU does. Big opp here.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

at 7PM I will probably start to dig out of the snow if the wind dies down. If not then I will be following the game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: This would be an AMAZING game to get to watch on a real tv network... too bad the CAA sucks. I'm not giving anything on flo hoops the time of day. I'll check the score online from time to time tonight and see how HU does. Big opp here.
We play them twice in four games including on TV hosting them on February 7.

Towson scored 22 in the first half and double that in the second half hosting Drexel. Towson went on a 16-0 run to go up 10, and won 66-62. W&M leads Elon 19-4. Northeastern and Charleston are 19-19. Delaware leads JMU 22-18. I read that Delaware's Dylan Painter and Ebby Asamoah got injured on the wet court at Towson and left on crutches. Asamoah started, and with Painter out Delaware started four guards.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Asamoah played today and scored 22 points
Painter sat out.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Spread down to 4 points
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=371166 will have statistics.

A UNCW fan said that Tony Skinn (who punched Loren Stokes) is an assistant coach for Number 16 Ohio State.

Edit: We are starting the same players, and UNCW is starting their most common starters.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Congrats to Ray, who checked in to a Hofstra Basketball game for the 142nd time, making him the all-time program leader in games played.

Moments later, Ray made his 278th 3-pointer, moving him into second-place all-time at HU in made 3s.

Another great start. After leading 13-0 and 20-5 at Charleston on Thursday, HU is up 19-5 at the second MTO (11:22). These starts are SO big, particularly on the road. Usually close in the end anyway with this team (like on Thursday), but they are very tough to beat when they get out to these starts, especially with how well they shoot free throws to secure games late.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Trask crowd is loud, as usual.

Hofstra failed to cover corner shooter on two baseline inbound plays, gave up easy scores.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU up 40-34 at the half.

Good to see Ray involved again and doing something. Still only 1/4 from 3, but 3/3 from 2 including a nice finger roll layup on his last FG, and part of good balance among HU's other two main guards: Estrada 11 pts, Cooks 10 pts, Ray 9 pts.

UNCW, which for everything else they've done well this season, is among worst in the conference (8th) from 3. Yet the Seahawks have been drawn into playing Hofstra's usual game -- relying too much on the 3, going just 5/15 from there, taking almost half of their 32 shots from there. Hofstra though, a better approach than the Pride usually takes: only 2/9 from 3 (only one 3-pt attempt from five other players aside from Ray's four attempts) but 13/17 from 3 and 8/10 at the line... and on that note: 18-8, Hofstra in the paint.

Also good to see Cramer back on the floor again.

Pride led for all but the first 16 seconds of the opening half.
Last edited by Wags on Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:Trask crowd is loud, as usual.

Hofstra failed to cover corner shooter on two baseline inbound plays, gave up easy scores.
Mojo come on, we’re up 6 on the road against a 10 game winning streak, 7-0 in the CAA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

UNCW scores the first six points of the second half to tie it up, 40-40.

It's a battle, as it should be, with two of the top teams in the league. This is one HU will have to close strongly if they want to make a statement in the conference. Need Dubar, the usual unsung hero, to start contributing a bit offensively to help out HU's trio of guards. Dubar only 1 point on just two shots.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I never complain about replay and checking the monitor. I always say, get it right. But there also has to be a limit. Check the monitor, have a time limit, and make the call in a reasonably short amount of time. Shouldn't be that difficult. These stoppages in the second half are destroying the flow.

But Okauru getting a tech for being called for flopping for a second time. Wow, when do you ever see that? Good officiating to call it out - just please do it faster.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:UNCW scores the first six points of the second half to tie it up, 40-40.

It's a battle, as it should be, with two of the top teams in the league. This is one HU will have to close strongly if they want to make a statement in the conference. Need Dubar, the usual unsung hero, to start contributing a bit offensively to help out HU's trio of guards. Dubar only 1 point on just two shots.
So far, Dubar leads HU in second-half points, with seven. But UNCW leads, 64-63, with just under five minutes left.