MBB at UNCW 2/25 - HUGE GAME!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB at UNCW 2/25 - HUGE GAME!

Post by daHUPride »

WOW

What a gutsy comeback game for HU – after a terrible first half – to come back with a payback win vs a tough HU match-up in UNCW!!!

JG – is the most solid (I am not saying the best) player I have seen here at HU – he seems to be able to take complete control at times, usually in the 2nd half – I wonder if there were a guard that has so many of his points come from FT (almost 1/3 of his points come from the stripe this year) and I also would like to know what percentage of his points come in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half…

RG – on tough night he still registers, almost quietly, another double/double – and almost half of teams rebounds last night

• Often feel we try to be super conservative in the 1st half – especially on D – it is like our plan is to never have our starting 5 with a total of 4 fouls and never have any one of the starters with more than 2 fouls in the 1st half

• 2nd half it is our core-five for 20 minutes each (DB gets his 5 cameo minutes)

• I have seen 4 point plays before but never saw a bigger clutch 4 point play then the one by JG – reminded me of NYK Larry Johnson v the Pacers (maybe his was more slightly more clutch)

• You’d think our elder-statesmen and Ivy League grad would be a sure thing in-bounding the ball – and to UNCW's credit their pressure was intense – but not so – I think I have seen him make 3-4 really bad passes this year during crunch times

• We are going to need our best BB for the CAA Tourney – that is for sure

Congrats – team/players/coaches – we’ve had our share of heartbreaks this year and we deserve to deliver a heartbreaking blow to a rival team – a UNCW team that I think is a tough match up for us (plays with a deep bench, athletic, presses) - great win!!!!

See you Saturday
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote: • I have seen 4 point plays before but never saw a bigger clutch 4 point play then the one by JG – reminded me of NYK Larry Johnson v the Pacers (maybe his was more slightly more clutch)
Definitely more clutch because one WAS a 4-point play, the other wasn't.

LJ made the FT and won the game! Big time 3, but Juan'ya missed the FT and as a result, Hofstra was still down 1.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra now has the most wins (11) away from home in the CAA this season (11-6).

They also have the highest RPI (61) in the league, with the top three CAA teams all in the top 70 now (UNCW at 66 and W&M at 69).

If W&M wins on Saturday, half the conference will have 20 wins before the CAA tourney starts.
richs

Post by richs »

HU was mentioned in The New York Times college basketball recap today.
I guess we're moving up in status. I'm not sure but I think they were mentioned after
after the last game also.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

daHUPride wrote: JG – is the most solid (I am not saying the best) player I have seen here at HU – he seems to be able to take complete control at times, usually in the 2nd half – I wonder if there were a guard that has so many of his points come from FT (almost 1/3 of his points come from the stripe this year) and I also would like to know what percentage of his points come in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half…
Excluding 12 points in overtime, Green has averaged 6.5 points per first half and 10.8 points per second half. Excluding overtime, he has scored 313 out of 502 points (62.4 percent) in second halves. In losses, he has scored 61 points in first halves and 62 points in second halves. In wins, excluding overtime, he has scored 252 out of 379 points (66.5 percent) in second halves.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

EvanJ wrote:
daHUPride wrote: JG – is the most solid (I am not saying the best) player I have seen here at HU – he seems to be able to take complete control at times, usually in the 2nd half – I wonder if there were a guard that has so many of his points come from FT (almost 1/3 of his points come from the stripe this year) and I also would like to know what percentage of his points come in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half…
Excluding 12 points in overtime, Green has averaged 6.5 points per first half and 10.8 points per second half. Excluding overtime, he has scored 313 out of 502 points (62.4 percent) in second halves. In losses, he has scored 61 points in first halves and 62 points in second halves. In wins, excluding overtime, he has scored 252 out of 379 points (66.5 percent) in second halves.
interesting - thanks for that EvanJ
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:Looking forward to Sat - can't see them losing BUT fatigue CAN be a factor after emotionally draining W and short rest.
It can, but I don't think so on Senior Day.
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
interesting - thanks for that EvanJ
Yeah this is great stuff - these numbers illustrate well exactly what POY's do. They take over and put teams on their backs when needed down the stretch. No buckets for him more than 35 minutes into the game, and then he gets 4, plus 2 FTs, to carry HU to the win. Right in line with the numbers Evan provides above.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

[/quote]
Excluding 12 points in overtime, Green has averaged 6.5 points per first half and 10.8 points per second half. Excluding overtime, he has scored 313 out of 502 points (62.4 percent) in second halves. In losses, he has scored 61 points in first halves and 62 points in second halves. In wins, excluding overtime, he has scored 252 out of 379 points (66.5 percent) in second halves.[/quote]

interesting - thanks for that EvanJ[/quote]
Yeah this is great stuff - these numbers illustrate well exactly what POY's do. They take over and put teams on their backs when needed down the stretch. No buckets for him more than 35 minutes into the game, and then he gets 4, plus 2 FTs, to carry HU to the win. Right in line with the numbers Evan provides above.[/quote]

yeah wags, JG is the POY - and that's one of the reasons
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote: yeah wags, JG is the POY - and that's one of the reasons
That's the separator when the POY vote is close (when it's closer in most years than it is this year, because JG is a lock right now). Several guys will have good numbers at the top each year. But did they lift their teams to key victories in clutch situations (like Green has several times this season), to put them at or near the top of the conference standings, instead of not coming through enough late in games, and as a result their team is in 4th or 5th place? The one exception to that was our own Jenkins, who was just so dominant during one of his two back-to-back POY awards, even with HU finishing in 7th place, that he was still the clear choice.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So who comes in first if both we and UNCW win or lose tomorrow?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:So who comes in first if both we and UNCW win or lose tomorrow?
It depends on what team is in 3rd place. The CAA just released all of the tie-breaker scenarios, and it looks like we get the #1 seed in more situations than UNCW does. We just need to win on Saturday and the rest will take care of itself.
http://www.caasports.com/news/2016/2/26 ... 62513.aspx
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote:
Jojogunne wrote: So who comes in first if both we and UNCW win or lose tomorrow?
It depends on what team is in 3rd place. The CAA just released all of the tie-breaker scenarios, and it looks like we get the #1 seed in more situations than UNCW does. We just need to win on Saturday and the rest will take care of itself.
http://www.caasports.com/news/2016/2/26 ... 62513.aspx
To answer Jojogunne, Hofstra wins the regular season title if we and UNC Wilmington lose. If we and UNC Wilmington win, Hofstra could win the tiebreaker or the tiebreaker could be Sunday's RPI. Hofstra has the best RPI in the CAA now, and if they win they probably will have the best RPI in the CAA, but it's not guaranteed. It could be useful to track Hofstra's and UNC Wilmington's out of conference opponents on Saturday.

To summarize, here are the possible seeds for each team. William & Mary is the only team with 3 possible seeds.

Hofstra: 1 or 2
UNC Wilmington: 1 or 2
Towson: 3 or 4
William & Mary: 3, 4, or 5
James Madison: 4 or 5
Northeastern: 6 or 7
College of Charleston: 6 or 7
Elon: 8
Drexel: 9
Delaware: 10

Therefore Hofstra's possible CAA Tournament Quarterfinal opponents are Northeastern, College of Charleston, Elon, Drexel, and Delaware
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

OK, thanks.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

I have been following Hofstra basketball for quite a while and that was one of the greatest wins I ever saw. Starting with travel issues, the pressure of playing for the top seed, a hostile environment and then falling behind by 18 and still winning was amazing. It showed incredible poise and determination, exactly what they need heading to Baltimore.