Basketball tickets - Hofstra vs Stony Brook

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: Basketball tickets - Hofstra vs Stony Brook

Post by ProudofPride »

There is literally no need for the bench to be this thin. I just don't get it. It's year 3, and every player was recruited by JAM, so this is completely his own team. The two transfers sitting out make sense, and the Djambo situation is beyond the coaches' control. That should leave 10 players, if a team were to use all 13 schoalrships, which would be fine, since in theory that's a sub for every starter. At this point, it's almost looking irresponsible to redshirt Robinson since Djambo still is not playing, and the team clearly needs depth. There's also no excuse for not playing Walker and JWF more. Our players are gassed. I don't understand why any coach would want their bench to be this thin if they could help it.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with everyone - its beyond frustrating that we are playing a 6-7 man rotation. The Djambo situation stings, but that's no ones fault....... the Robinson situation is really hard to understand, its certainly not like he needs more seasoning, nor do we desperately need him for the next 2 years! Jeeez, we could use him now!

Tell me if I'm the only one who feels this way......I know that Green is talented and we really need him on the court, but I get frustrated watching JM literally explode on the sidelines when most of the guys make a bad pass or take a bad shot or blow a play. But when Green throws an around the back pass into the stands, or takes a terrible forced jumper, or messes up in any way shape or form......almost no reaction from coach. I know JG is the captain and the main guy on the court, but isn't it a little frustrating to the other players to see this happening (they've got to see this, its hard to miss).

Really good to see Bernardi trying to create his own shots, and generally he is being successful. I think we are seeing a glimpse of a huge senior year for him. Also getting a glimpse of what Rokus will be like as an upperclassman. Keep him in for 30 minutes a game and he will be a double double machine. Remember, he is a sophomore who did not even have much time playing as a freshman without injury.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:Agree with everyone - its beyond frustrating that we are playing a 6-7 man rotation. The Djambo situation stings, but that's no ones fault....... the Robinson situation is really hard to understand, its certainly not like he needs more seasoning, nor do we desperately need him for the next 2 years! Jeeez, we could use him now!

Tell me if I'm the only one who feels this way......I know that Green is talented and we really need him on the court, but I get frustrated watching JM literally explode on the sidelines when most of the guys make a bad pass or take a bad shot or blow a play. But when Green throws an around the back pass into the stands, or takes a terrible forced jumper, or messes up in any way shape or form......almost no reaction from coach. I know JG is the captain and the main guy on the court, but isn't it a little frustrating to the other players to see this happening (they've got to see this, its hard to miss).

Really good to see Bernardi trying to create his own shots, and generally he is being successful. I think we are seeing a glimpse of a huge senior year for him. Also getting a glimpse of what Rokus will be like as an upperclassman. Keep him in for 30 minutes a game and he will be a double double machine. Remember, he is a sophomore who did not even have much time playing as a freshman without injury.
I agree with you Cards - find it odd that JAM blows up at everyone and everything except for Green - I take that as the coach knowing his players and which ones need to be hugged and which ones need to be kicked.

If we had the team - using a Walker and having the Djambo - that I thought we would I could live with Robinson redshirting - the coaches had to know they weren't going to use Walker and with Djambo situation now even I struggle with not having Robinson available.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Sagarin projects us to go 21-9 with a 13-5 record in the CAA.....I will take it right now
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Sagarin projects us to go 21-9 with a 13-5 record in the CAA.....I will take it right now
Me too - still think it is doable - but tough
garyg

Post by garyg »

Like I said above I can still see us winning 20-22 games and NOT making it to March Madness...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Did you just here that rumbling sound. Its Mount Polito about to erupt.

lol...I don't need to say much anymore. I called this team and staff out after game 1. Now looks like everyone else has caught up. New thread is coming to address the SEASON, but for this game, let's start with the good:

- Game was exactly what was expected: a close hard fought battle - it was really a great game, great rivalry developing, good for both
- Cannot say enough about Bernardi, has clearly worked his butt off and is the MVP of this team thus far IMO
- Was great to see Tanksley have a big game, stepped up played well
- Thought Gustys did a very admirable job
- D was improved in 1st, played well
- Buie is going to be a great floor general
- Rebounded well, a pleasant surprise for this game
- Free Throws, another pleasant surprise

The bad:

- 2nd game in a row team was held to 68 pts - 3 of 4 losses HU scored in 60's - clearly thats an issue when you're entire system is built to score
- Sounded like officiating was a bit questionable, for both sides
- D torched in 2nd
- Green: thankful HU has him, great do-everything guard, primary reason for HU's turnaround, but unfortunately this game proved why he is not an NBA guy - I've been hoping he would sneak in, and hey, everyone has off games...BUT this wasn't just an "off" game, his play was putrid. NBA guys don't have games like that...against their rival...ever. I do believe he'll have a successful overseas career though
- Depth
- And Depth
- Also Depth
- Plus Depth
- Clearly Depth
- Then there's Depth
- Obviously Depth
- Oh, and also Depth

As I am about to address in a fun exciting new thread, I am not so disappointed in this game (good opponent, road game, non-conf) as I am with the cruel reality of what this season is shaping up to be.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito you forgot if things dont change we will sink to new depths. Thanks I needed that to get me going today. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by stuball888 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Green picked up his first foul as I was heading to my seat, and had another within five minutes, sending him to the bench for the half. The team played ok without him, but imo the impact of him sitting 15 minutes is not worth preventing him from picking up his third. A slick guard like him can play without fouling. We should have been up a dozen at halftime. Green finished with four fouls, with the last two being intentional at the end of the game. JM makes me scratch my head sometimes...also, he should have called a TO on the last possession to set up a better look for Bernardi.

There's a reason why we have 13 scholarships....because a rotation of 7 isn't getting it done. Walker, Robinson and JWF should all be getting 5-8 minutes a game. Tanksley and Nichols cannot and should not be playing the 5.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

My guess is they are holding out hope that Djambo does get here real soon...the plan in the summer was to hold out Robinson to better balance the classes and be better next year, the thinking being that we would have enough this year. Not sure that if Djambo does not return, they would bring back Robinson then. Shame as with all the players we THOUGHT we'd have we could be REAL good.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Hoping JM comes to his senses with Robinson/Walker if Dj does not materialize...and even if he does!

To warrant zero minutes, Walker would have had to be completely clueless on the floor, and in his very playing limited time, this has not been the case. Come on, give the guy a chance!