MBB Game 25 vs W&M on February 9, 2019 - Sold out

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: MBB Game 25 vs W&M on February 9, 2019 - Sold out

Post by joeg1 »

Justin has been more aggressive on the defensive end lately (at the top of the zone) hence more fouls. Also expends more energy, so both likely factor in.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Again Justin has never fouled out in his collegiate career and in recent memory against both NE and yesterday he only picked up another foul in the second half and finished with three. If you sit him its only for a few minutes at the most and only to give him a breather. He has to be on the court and not everything is measured by statistics his presence on the court is invaluable. BTW I listened to Shaver giving his post game and he spent most of the conference commending Knight which was to be expected but did say re Justin he's a great, great, great player and also went on to say that he can't be stopped when the officials call every defensive touch a foul when he has the ball.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Shavers is a tool. I don’t know what he has stuck up his cornhole. But this getting tiresome. He gave JAM one of those Nancy Pelosi claps during the game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Polito wrote: Bad:
- Staff: (EASY, positive below) Really wish they would STOP sitting JWF for 2 fouls - I know, defensive sets, I saw and understand, but I don't agree - you don't sit that kid IMO unless he has 4 fouls - not learning this lesson from NU was extremely frustrating, and almost cost HU another game - one of the best players in HU and CAA history, you don't sit him because of 2 fouls - this staff literally never sat Green, no matter his play, why would you ever sit JWF. Absolutely baffling to me.
I'm okay with sitting him after his second foul was under 9 minutes in. His +/- was +6, which means we were even when he didn't play. Maybe he wouldn't have been as good at the end if we wanted him to play 38 or 40 minutes. I'm not saying he should never play 38+ minutes. If you knew before the game that Knight (who normally won't be guarded by JWF) would score 39 and we would win by 6, wouldn't you have taken it?
We'll never know, but I'll take the way it went overJWF finishing with 40 on less fresh second-half legs and maybe losing by 2 yesterday. I think when you have a player like JWF who can explode in the second half like no other player in the conference, you have to take your chances and sit him with the two fouls in the first half. As long as the game remains close in the first half, you can do that. If things start to get away too much in the first half, then maybe you go the other route and risk playing him in the first half with the two fouls.
Wags

Post by Wags »

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 9667579904

Speedy joking about JWF:

“I told him if I had known he was going to be breaking my records, I might not have recruited him.”
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Also, as I've previously alluded to, Justin is smart enough to know when to dial it back and pick his spots. We pressed more yesterday, and that takes its toll, as opposed to hanging back at half court.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

stuball888 wrote:Shavers is a tool. I don’t know what he has stuck up his cornhole. But this getting tiresome. He gave JAM one of those Nancy Pelosi claps during the game.
Maybe because he's never won anything
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Shavers is a tool. I don’t know what he has stuck up his cornhole. But this getting tiresome. He gave JAM one of those Nancy Pelosi claps during the game.
Stu don't know what that is based on but I'll assume there's history to that. I always liked his post game interviews feel he's fair and complimentary of the opposition. I guess he knows how to sell it always has that big smile going on.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just for s..t and giggles Rok had 83 blocks during his entire career here while Taylor has 39 in 25 games so far this year. Rok had 11 in his senior year in 31 games. I was curious so I looked it up. I know this is the tip of the iceberg with Taylor but he has really stepped up his game!! Such a huge plus for us and he will be missed.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:Back to the game. This was the most remarkable performance I have ever seen. There are no more superlatives we can pin on Justin. I spoke to Speedy after the game . I ask him what are you feeding Justin. His reply was anything he wants. I told Speedy he is building his second legacy First as a player and second as a coach. Nice to see a couple of players from Speedys team. Greg Springfield and d Posey. Told Speedy that if it wasn't for Posey his most memorable game highlight would not have happened.Also Speedy was not aware that Dave Debushere was at the game sitting at courtside.
Stu, Dave DeBusschere is dead. Do you mean Jeff Ruland? Ruland is a scout for the Washington Wizards. He’s been at several games this season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Just for s..t and giggles Rok had 83 blocks during his entire career here while Taylor has 39 in 25 games so far this year. Rok had 11 in his senior year in 31 games. I was curious so I looked it up. I know this is the tip of the iceberg with Taylor but he has really stepped up his game!! Such a huge plus for us and he will be missed.
The anchor (not yesterday - tough matchup, but normally this year).
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mojo I am referring to Speedy put back at the buzzer to beat Delaware back at the old PFC in 1998
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Good win of course as JWF continues his destruction of the CAA but was it neccesary to take down another section of the 200s? If anything I thought they’d put more seats instead of leave hundreds of potential fans out of the arena. I guess they really needed it to ser up a few food tables. Coach said the student section was primarily made up of the baseball team. Really wish they had some better chants like MVP for Justin.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I re-watched the game last night to see why our defense got ripped up, and I have to say it was a great job by W&M to move our zone out of place, and getting Knight mismatches inside. I've seen a few of their games, it was probably their best performance of the year.

Knight was amazing, he just dominated inside. After we made some defensive adjustments in the 2nd half, he got Taylor in foul trouble, which forced Pemba to guard him inside the last 5 minutes. Coburn had kind of a rough day with the initial foul trouble, then he blew some defensive assignments in the 2nd half, which prompted Joe to sub in Ray for the remainder of the game. I thought JT actually had a pretty good game defensively, W&M just did a great job getting looks in the paint, and got him in foul trouble. We're going to have to work on the zone rotation, they got too many Knight on guard matchups inside. That was an issue we had all the time the past two seasons, but at least it's good we had this game now to work on it for the CAAT.

Offensively, we were pretty awesome though. JWF is the POY, he's the Haggerty, and they better not make it a split-job with Ponds, he's the guy alone. We didn't have many assists because our guys were winning the one on one matchups, and Wright-Foreman obviously just took over, you shoot 16-24, 7-12 from 3, you can take every shot. Other than Ray with the off night shooting the 3 ball, I thought our guys had good offensive games. JT was great again, he's been such a huge difference maker.

That was the most exciting game of the year. The building was surprisingly great, they listed the sellout at 4,208, and it became a lively crowd as JWF took over late. The game itself was great too, exceptional offensive play from both sides, we really won on W&M's sloppiness handling the ball. They move well in their offense, but they don't have a guy who can dribble the ball, Pierce, Milon, Rawley are brutal, Audige looked like he was pressing, he's a LI guy who probably had a lot of friends/family in attendance. We won that TO battle 16-8, it was our most effective way of getting defensive stops.

We really got W&M's best effort, Shaver was heated with the calls JWF was getting, but they were mostly deserved after re-watching it, he was just unstoppable. As mentioned above, the W&M coaching staff had an issue with JWF trying to hit that bucket late after they called off their defense. I mean it was for the school record, and 50 points, but I get their perspective, don't agree, but I get it. Lots of bad blood between these two programs, I asked Beach after the game where that started, he said pretty much day 1, and reminded me of when Joe and Shaver almost went at it in the '15 CAAT over a hard foul on Rok. I love a little tension though, makes the rivalry more exciting.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Flying Dutch, did it seem to you that we pressed more, and Justin was more active on the defensive end?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Good win of course as JWF continues his destruction of the CAA but was it neccesary to take down another section of the 200s? If anything I thought they’d put more seats instead of leave hundreds of potential fans out of the arena. I guess they really needed it to ser up a few food tables. Coach said the student section was primarily made up of the baseball team. Really wish they had some better chants like MVP for Justin.
That was where the business school had the pregame alumni event. We haven't even average 2000 fans. If the business school was able to bring in a significant amount of alumni and the cost of that was closing off 400 seats then it might have been worth it. Hind sight is always 20/20 but who knows if we would have sold out if the business school didn't have the alumni event and I am sure the business school event was booked a while ago.

Let's see how the attendance is at the last two home games.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:I re-watched the game last night to see why our defense got ripped up, and I have to say it was a great job by W&M to move our zone out of place, and getting Knight mismatches inside. I've seen a few of their games, it was probably their best performance of the year.

Knight was amazing, he just dominated inside. After we made some defensive adjustments in the 2nd half, he got Taylor in foul trouble, which forced Pemba to guard him inside the last 5 minutes. Coburn had kind of a rough day with the initial foul trouble, then he blew some defensive assignments in the 2nd half, which prompted Joe to sub in Ray for the remainder of the game. I thought JT actually had a pretty good game defensively, W&M just did a great job getting looks in the paint, and got him in foul trouble. We're going to have to work on the zone rotation, they got too many Knight on guard matchups inside. That was an issue we had all the time the past two seasons, but at least it's good we had this game now to work on it for the CAAT.

Offensively, we were pretty awesome though. JWF is the POY, he's the Haggerty, and they better not make it a split-job with Ponds, he's the guy alone. We didn't have many assists because our guys were winning the one on one matchups, and Wright-Foreman obviously just took over, you shoot 16-24, 7-12 from 3, you can take every shot. Other than Ray with the off night shooting the 3 ball, I thought our guys had good offensive games. JT was great again, he's been such a huge difference maker.

That was the most exciting game of the year. The building was surprisingly great, they listed the sellout at 4,208, and it became a lively crowd as JWF took over late. The game itself was great too, exceptional offensive play from both sides, we really won on W&M's sloppiness handling the ball. They move well in their offense, but they don't have a guy who can dribble the ball, Pierce, Milon, Rawley are brutal, Audige looked like he was pressing, he's a LI guy who probably had a lot of friends/family in attendance. We won that TO battle 16-8, it was our most effective way of getting defensive stops.

We really got W&M's best effort, Shaver was heated with the calls JWF was getting, but they were mostly deserved after re-watching it, he was just unstoppable. As mentioned above, the W&M coaching staff had an issue with JWF trying to hit that bucket late after they called off their defense. I mean it was for the school record, and 50 points, but I get their perspective, don't agree, but I get it. Lots of bad blood between these two programs, I asked Beach after the game where that started, he said pretty much day 1, and reminded me of when Joe and Shaver almost went at it in the '15 CAAT over a hard foul on Rok. I love a little tension though, makes the rivalry more exciting.
Great analysis FD, also fueling the fire between the two programs was Eli Pemberton's original commitment to W&M, he then de-committed and came to Hofstra...another is that they just don't respect Hofstra as an institution...their boards used to be full of invective...not so much lately.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:Good win of course as JWF continues his destruction of the CAA but was it neccesary to take down another section of the 200s? If anything I thought they’d put more seats instead of leave hundreds of potential fans out of the arena. I guess they really needed it to ser up a few food tables. Coach said the student section was primarily made up of the baseball team. Really wish they had some better chants like MVP for Justin.
That was where the business school had the pregame alumni event. We haven't even average 2000 fans. If the business school was able to bring in a significant amount of alumni and the cost of that was closing off 400 seats then it might have been worth it. Hind sight is always 20/20 but who knows if we would have sold out if the business school didn't have the alumni event and I am sure the business school event was booked a while ago.

Let's see how the attendance is at the last two home games.
All depends on what we give away LOL
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:I re-watched the game last night to see why our defense got ripped up, and I have to say it was a great job by W&M to move our zone out of place, and getting Knight mismatches inside. I've seen a few of their games, it was probably their best performance of the year.
Can't take away both the 3 pointer and the paint with a zone D. Hofstra strictly plays zone to save legs for offense, and extends their zone out to the 3 point line, so the middle is open for business for a team with a skilled big man. It's why they couldn't stop Maryland, either.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

cactus wrote:
Can't take away both the 3 pointer and the paint with a zone D. Hofstra strictly plays zone to save legs for offense, and extends their zone out to the 3 point line, so the middle is open for business for a team with a skilled big man. It's why they couldn't stop Maryland, either.
Ya gotta pick your poison....I think our zone is pretty aggressive...more of a matchup zone....later in the game we started doubling down on Knight...but he was already on a roll...I think we play the zone because we are small and we need to protect our limited depth inside.

Maryland was a different story. They had SEVERAL bigs as good or better than Knight so they just pounded it inside.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.