MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:MAN!
I know we can't get everyone - but we got to get someone!
GEEZ!
Realistically we need two players and they both need to be big. You can make a case for a PG but we need a 4 who has a perimeter game...
I think they are OK in that regard with Trueheart and Radovic.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
GEEZ!
Realistically we need two players and they both need to be big. You can make a case for a PG but we need a 4 who has a perimeter game...
Agreed. Doubt we get a 4. We also will probably play a four guard lineup occasionally.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
GEEZ!

Agreed. Doubt we get a 4. We also will probably play a four guard lineup occasionally.

I'm not going to debate this one but am I to assume the consensus is we're looking for 2 centers? My feeling is that we may have trouble getting 2 5's that r eligible to play right away. If we think that KS can compete and get playing time this year then maybe a hybrid 4/5. Lots of questions to be answered here like what can Radovic contribute here? What's Hal Hughes role this year if any? I would rather have a versatile 4 that can play in the post and shoot from the perimeter then have a 5 who just rebounds and doesn't score much. The kid from Brentwood would be a nice addition to this team we'll see how that pans out. Also do we leave a scholarship open or do we try to sign a point guard?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

The focus I would imagine is on landing 2 5’s. We have 3 scholarships left so if a late transfer or freshman decommit opens up in the summer then can grab someone but other than that id expect only 2 5’s. I have no inside knowledge though so could be completely wrong.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:

I'm not going to debate this one but am I to assume the consensus is we're looking for 2 centers? My feeling is that we may have trouble getting 2 5's that r eligible to play right away. If we think that KS can compete and get playing time this year then maybe a hybrid 4/5. Lots of questions to be answered here like what can Radovic contribute here? What's Hal Hughes role this year if any? I would rather have a versatile 4 that can play in the post and shoot from the perimeter then have a 5 who just rebounds and doesn't score much. The kid from Brentwood would be a nice addition to this team we'll see how that pans out. Also do we leave a scholarship open or do we try to sign a point guard?
they need a center. They could leave the other spot open, a PG, or another center. I would assume Hughes takes a redshirt year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The comment by Mathew re the 4 guards is certainly true but only when the match-ups dictate it. If my recollection is accurate we saw teams that played with a 4 guard lineup almost exclusively. I would love to see this because it plays into our strengths especially now because we don't have a proven post player. A lot of offense and a real uptempo game. It will be interesting to see how the chips fall into place and where and how do we use Coburn. What will this kid bring to the table defensively and offensively. We know what we have with EP,DB and JWF but how will ST game evolve also. Lots of interesting possibilities to look forward to with an increased emphasis on "D". If we can pick up a proven post player we will be a tough team to beat IMO.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
GEEZ!
Personally I like both ST and MR - and what they bring to our roster - but neither brings a great inside presence. I think of them both as kind-of big-small forward (3's) or small-big forwards (4's) - so they are, in my eyes, 3 1/2's forwards. If we go into the '18-19 season with 4 big men currently on our roster - ST and MR as our only experienced front court and backed up by newbie freshman ST and HH - we are really going to have to run and shoot and put some big points on the board - because we will find it difficult to be able to compete by banging and out rebounding teams. Losing RG and HS will be hard on this team - even WITH RG and HS we often struggled in our interior game - without them being adequetly replaced ....uh fa!
No matter if we sign another big or not - I suspect we are going to be utilizing a 4 guard system frequently - that is with JFW coming back and considering TC a guard. With the roster we have now our BIGGEST team we can realistically put out there is KW (6'4") at PG, EP and TC (both 6'5") at off G's; MR (6'7") and ST (6'8") at F's - not sure we can competitivly bang inside with this being our biggest (experienced) team.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

An experienced 5 will be on our roster. It’s the coaching staffs entire recruiting purposes this year. I have faith they won’t screw it up.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:An experienced 5 will be on our roster. It’s the coaching staffs entire recruiting purposes this year. I have faith they won’t screw it up.
I believe that we will also have someone signed too.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Joey that is way off. Stu brought Jeff in to raise money and it didn't happen. He took away fund raising from the athletic dept two years ago and that was the end of Jeff's tenure as far as Stu was concerned.
Could not be further from the truth. Utterly ridiculous.

That IS The truth.
Inconceivable!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Why is it inconceivable??? That is what happened...Why do YOU think Hathaway is no longer AD?????
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:Why is it inconceivable??? That is what happened...Why do YOU think Hathaway is no longer AD?????
Dont have any info on either side - but knowing of Rabinowitz history and his lack of commitment to the Athletic Department/Program - HUSID74 reason for Hathaway departure seems rather plausible to me.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I think we should move this thread to where it belongs...WE NEED SOME RECRUITS! Anyone have any insight into what's going on? Visits? Anything????
Cards

Post by Cards »

We ABSOLUTELY need an experienced 5 for next year. That needs to be and i believe is the staffs #1 priority. We have no idea how KS is going to work out, and he is coming in with no D1 experience. I would be pleased if we landed Femi Olujobi. He's more like a 4/5 - not overly big, but can rebound and score - he also appears (based on video only) to be a little more mobile and agile than the typical 5. i do not think we could play him with a 4 guard offense except in limited situations where it is warranted.

I still think we could use another big - maybe not a 5, but a strong PF with at least a midrange game. i like ST and the energy he brings, but he does get streaky throwing up threes that get nothing but net and then the next one misses everything. I know this is only his second season, but I'm not convinved yet that we can or should pencil him into the starting 4 spot for the next 3 years. MR shows promise, but is clearly not ready yet for major minutes. Again, a streaky shooter who at times looks out of place on the court. He will improve with PT and I like his game, but he is not the answer for this upcoming season. I have no idea what to expect from HH (will he even suit up or redshirt?). I am intrigued as to what he might develop into. Now at 6'10" and around 200 lbs.......I salivate over potentially a 6'10" 220 lbs 3-pt shooter at the 4.

I'm dissappointed that we did not pick up one of the JUCO 5 we were looking at. I'm think that if we go grad transfer to fill the 5, then next year we are again in the same boat (looking for a 5).

Not sure what TC brings to the table, but we currently have 6 guys who can play guard spots (including EP at the 3). i would only bring in another guard if he were a transfer stud that had to sit for a year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:We ABSOLUTELY need an experienced 5 for next year. That needs to be and i believe is the staffs #1 priority. We have no idea how KS is going to work out, and he is coming in with no D1 experience. I would be pleased if we landed Femi Olujobi. He's more like a 4/5 - not overly big, but can rebound and score - he also appears (based on video only) to be a little more mobile and agile than the typical 5. i do not think we could play him with a 4 guard offense except in limited situations where it is warranted.

I still think we could use another big - maybe not a 5, but a strong PF with at least a midrange game. i like ST and the energy he brings, but he does get streaky throwing up threes that get nothing but net and then the next one misses everything. I know this is only his second season, but I'm not convinved yet that we can or should pencil him into the starting 4 spot for the next 3 years. MR shows promise, but is clearly not ready yet for major minutes. Again, a streaky shooter who at times looks out of place on the court. He will improve with PT and I like his game, but he is not the answer for this upcoming season. I have no idea what to expect from HH (will he even suit up or redshirt?). I am intrigued as to what he might develop into. Now at 6'10" and around 200 lbs.......I salivate over potentially a 6'10" 220 lbs 3-pt shooter at the 4.

I'm dissappointed that we did not pick up one of the JUCO 5 we were looking at. I'm think that if we go grad transfer to fill the 5, then next year we are again in the same boat (looking for a 5).

Not sure what TC brings to the table, but we currently have 6 guys who can play guard spots (including EP at the 3). i would only bring in another guard if he were a transfer stud that had to sit for a year.
I also hope I don't see anymore Stu vs Hathaway crap here lets speak to what's important right now. Cards if we get Olujobi be honest you would be more then pleased you'll be overjoyed and that would be a major acquisition albeit for only one year. I like a lot of what you're saying and I think ST has more game then he's getting credit for. He could be our starting 4 and Olujobi could play in the post. He's a big boy and can rebound and block shots. He's also got a perimeter game. I've read somewhere that his defensive game isn't outstanding but not sure where he's lacking but he could possibly give us overall more upside then ROK. When it's all said and done we may wind up with a kid that nobody here ever heard off but who has a lot of upside. I hate to think we go this year without a post player. That would be a big mistake.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

He supposedly visited more than a week ago....there has been no news out of his camp since??? Did he take his other planned visits????? WE NEED THIS GUY!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

triplec2195 wrote:
I also hope I don't see anymore Stu vs Hathaway crap here lets speak to what's important right now.
Agree completely. The Stu vs Hathaway nonsense is, as you say, "crap", and should be discredited.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:He supposedly visited more than a week ago....there has been no news out of his camp since??? Did he take his other planned visits????? WE NEED THIS GUY!
Well clearly you know more them most of us HUSID but who has the inside track as to where this kid is leaning. I've said it before it's my feeling that Butler is our major competition here since both Georgetown and DePaul had off years last year and appear to be rebuilding. We're the local school and that's where we should have the advantage. But do we??
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:He supposedly visited more than a week ago....there has been no news out of his camp since??? Did he take his other planned visits????? WE NEED THIS GUY!
Well clearly you know more them most of us HUSID but who has the inside track as to where this kid is leaning. I've said it before it's my feeling that Butler is our major competition here since both Georgetown and DePaul had off years last year and appear to be rebuilding. We're the local school and that's where we should have the advantage. But do we??
Announced today - Olujobi chose DePaul.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So who is left?