Post by daHUPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Predictions for Sunday?
Win.
tough game - 85-80. Win.
ProudofPride

Re: Basketball tickets - Hofstra vs Stony Brook

Post by ProudofPride »

I have to say, defense does overall look better, but it doesn't seem like we're doing much to defend the 3. Fouls are killing us as well. Team is doing a decent job on Warney so far. Green has to take over the game, he hasn't done much of anything yet, and had to sit out most of the first half with 2 fouls.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The video feed itself is ok, but Hofstra fans are spoiled by having multiple cameras. SBU only has one camera, so the whole game is from the same angle. Also, as nice as their new arena is, the court looks like it's straight from the 90s.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We lose 71-68. Team looked out of sync in the second half and SBU killed us in the paint. Green with perhaps his worst game in a Hofstra uniform. Team better get it together or it could be a long season for us.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

was a tough game - 4 guys with 4 fouls - Greens worst game - Buie gets 15 minutes in the 1st half none in the 2nd??? - I think we fooled SB in the preparation by saying we were going to use Walker - they did somethings I liked - I am not as disappointed as previous other losses - wonder if this team is a victim of reading/believing their preseason press clippings
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This team needs to realize soon that there are 40 minutes in a game, and they need to play all 40 minutes. Can't have defensive lapses. They've yet to prove to me that they can win the conference. Northeastern beat Stony Brook pretty easily.
One positive thing, Gustys had more rebounds than Warney did.
And for what is worth, Hofstra is still winning the Battle of Long Island for the 2015-16 academic year. Hofstra won in volleyball, women's soccer, and women's basketball, while SBU won in men's soccer and men's basketball.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I don't understand why with a few seconds left, Koon takes the ball in like hes going to drive, even though we were down by three. We end up trying to hit a 3 out of a "busted" play. I did not like that Green took the last shot - it should have been going to Tanksley or Bernardi at all costs.

Refs were pretty bad today. Key play with about 15 seconds left when SB inbounded the SB player stepped inbounds before passing the ball. Everyone saw it and started yelling. Refs let it go without a video review. Does anyone know what is the process for getting a play reviewed. this was a super key moment in the game and everyone saw that "no" call was a travesty?

As is typical, we play with a very short bench. Malik played sparingly, and Buie only got minutes because Green was in foul trouble.

Poor game for Green.

Tanksley played fine, as did Bernardi. Tough assignment for Rokas, but all in all 8 pts and 13 boards is a good game. Not sure how Rokus can improve his "hands", but if he developed a better set of softer hands he would pick up 5 pts and several rebounds a game.

Overall, it was good so see some signs of an improving defense, but we have a ways to go before we live up to the preseason hype!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Malik has been driving me crazy this season, and this game was the epitome. If I have to watch him try to be a play-maker one more time, I'm going to go nuts. He's convinced he should be a Draymond Green type, or at least plays that way. I find myself screaming at the screen every time he puts the ball on the floor and tries to make a play... It seems to be a turnover or terrible shot every time.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Missed the game today unfortunately so my comments are based strictly off the box score..

The two biggest things that jump out are that we allowed 44 2nd half points and we got a total of 3 points from our bench. So basically nothing changed during the 11 days off.

Another thing that jumps out is Green's stat line of 5 pts and 1 assist. Wow. And they only lost by 3??? Imagine if Warney had 5 pts and 1 rebound? That's really a poor game for Juan'ya.

I've definitely lowered my expectations for this season. There is absolutely ZERO chance a team with NO BENCH can win 3 games in 3 days in the CAA tournament.

I wont beat a dead horse about Robinson and Djambo, but it's just really disappointing that this should have been our year and we lose 2 guys we were counting on. It's becoming abundantly clear that the team defense and lack of depth will prevent this team from reaching it's full potential of winning this conference. I hope I'm wrong!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

daHUPride wrote:was a tough game - 4 guys with 4 fouls - Greens worst game - Buie gets 15 minutes in the 1st half none in the 2nd??? - I think we fooled SB in the preparation by saying we were going to use Walker - they did somethings I liked - I am not as disappointed as previous other losses - wonder if this team is a victim of reading/believing their preseason press clippings
The only reason why Buie got 15 in the first half was because Green was on the bench with two fouls. Green and Nichols did not play well. One of the gives us a decent game and we win. Another issue was playing this game after a ten day layoff...we should have played a game after the break BEFORE this game like SBU.

Bottom line another missed opportunity this season. We should be 8-2. Should have beaten Indiana State as well.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Did you just here that rumbling sound. Its Mount Polito about to erupt.
Wags

Post by Wags »

First time in 43 games with Hofstra that Green failed to score in double figures.

I know he only saw three first-half minutes due to foul trouble, but he was on the floor for the entire second half, and for the game, he took ONE shot from two (missed it), and went 1-for-7 from 3 (only two of those attempts came late, when he had to take them) while committing four turnovers, handing out just ONE assist and taking only TWO free throws.

This is supposed to be the CAA POY?

He has yet to realize that he's not a 3-point shooter and that he is at his best when he's facilitating for others, getting to the line and getting higher percentage shots for himself. When he does that, he's dangerous. When not, well, the numbers have spoken for themselves the way they did today for a while now.
Last edited by Wags on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

stuball888 wrote:Did you just here that rumbling sound. Its Mount Polito about to erupt.

The defense improved. The problem is that Hofstra as a prior poster said above. There should have been another game in the 10 day lag.
Also Hofstra will not win in the CAA. The Siena loss was one loss and now Stony Brook. The CAA teams are much better than Stony Brook and Siena.
Hofstra will not win in the CAA this year. I support the team but it is time to either really invest in men's basketball or not.

Other schools like Stony Brook, Siena and Monmouth invest. Fordham is 9 and 1 without Tom Pecora. Pecora was a good coach at the beginning for Hofstra but Pecora's hands were tied once football was cut and he left for Fordham.

Hofstra should be the same or better than Fordham. Athletics are not a priority at Hofstra anymore. It is nice that we play Stony Brook. We do not play Saint John's, Fordham, Columbia (Hofstra played them at Columbia last year and Hofstra lost a good game) or Army anymore. Why? They just do not need to schedule us. Hofstra plays Saint John's in lacrosse. Tell Saint John's, we give you a lacrosse game with a men's basketball game at SJU. Saint John's beat Hofstra this year in lacrosse.

The CAA is a good conference. I am not sure Hofstra belongs there anymore. We are not leaving and no one will take us elsewhere. Either you win your way out or you stay.

The Stony Brook loss just sucks. Period.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

hofstrahall wrote:
Hofstra should be the same or better than Fordham. Athletics are not a priority at Hofstra anymore. It is nice that we play Stony Brook. We do not play Saint John's, Fordham, Columbia (Hofstra played them at Columbia last year and Hofstra lost a good game) or Army anymore. Why? They just do not need to schedule us. Hofstra plays Saint John's in lacrosse. Tell Saint John's, we give you a lacrosse game with a men's basketball game at SJU. Saint John's beat Hofstra this year in lacrosse.

The Stony Brook loss just sucks. Period.
Men's soccer played St. John's in September and beat them 2-0 in Queens. Softball is hosting St. John's for 2 games this upcoming season. If they'll play us in other sports, they should step up and play us in all sports. And don't worry about Fordham. They're may have a good record, but none of the teams they beat are actually good. Their SOS is awful. The difference now is that Newbauer can actually beat the cupcakes that Pecora couldn't.
NYC Buckets posted an article today about HU and SBU playing other local teams. This is a quote from JAM about why we played App St. at the garden. “We tried like crazy to get a local team to play there and nobody wanted to do it,” Mihalich said, adding he “tried everybody” for that Dec. 6 game. http://www.nycbuckets.com/2015/12/hofst ... rivalries/
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:was a tough game - 4 guys with 4 fouls - Greens worst game - Buie gets 15 minutes in the 1st half none in the 2nd??? - I think we fooled SB in the preparation by saying we were going to use Walker - they did somethings I liked - I am not as disappointed as previous other losses - wonder if this team is a victim of reading/believing their preseason press clippings
The only reason why Buie got 15 in the first half was because Green was on the bench with two fouls. Green and Nichols did not play well. One of the gives us a decent game and we win. Another issue was playing this game after a ten day layoff...we should have played a game after the break BEFORE this game like SBU.

Bottom line another missed opportunity this season. We should be 8-2. Should have beaten Indiana State as well.
HUSID80 - I realize JG was in foul trouble and the reason why DB got more minutes then he usually would have in the 1st half - but although DB stat line wasn't great HU was leading 31-28 at the half with DB at the point. And then for DB to get no minutes in the 2nd half - not to take only JG out - but to rotate JG, BB, AT or DK - seems to make sense to me - this non coach fan.

I have heard that the non-conference games aren't as important and that it is all about the conference games - again I am not a coach and just a fan so I think all games are important - but when you play only 6 guys and don't use DB, JWF or AW - it seems like JAM is coaching this game as if it were the NCAA Final Four and not just a December non-confernce game.

Post game interview with SB coach confirms what we already know and how teams are going to play against us - he said (and I can't quote exactly) - it is our 11 against their 6, we know it going in, and we have to wear them down - again no minutes for 1/3 of a 9 man team makes it hard to compete against.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Too many similarities between this years team and last years team in their overall approach/mindset....hope I am wrong but I see us winning 20 to 22 games and still not making NCAA tournament
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Gary I had us at 25 wins but now I can actually see us in the 18 win category. I was hoping for depth at the front line but that has been blown up. We are basically playing only 6 players and that will not get it done in CAA play.As of now i Only see us winning 10 games in CAA play.
garyg

Post by garyg »

You are right Stu...lack of quality depth is a major issue