MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
bobe13

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by bobe13 »

Just thought we would be shooting higher than that.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

I agree with that and they probably are. But sometimes you have to be realistic about what you can get, especially with a class as important as this one. You don't want to leave scholarships on the table if you swing and miss at a bunch of 3 and 4-stars.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

According to Verbal Commits we have offered something like 15 guards ranging from 2 to 4 stars and from all over the country...they have cast a wide net. Interesting to see who bites.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

fyi- last year I asked coach how accurate these verbal commits reports were and he says they are all BS.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

bobe13 wrote:fyi- last year I asked coach how accurate these verbal commits reports were and he says they are all BS.

These are scholarship offers and are usually from pretty good sources.
Polito

Post by Polito »

yeah, maybe I can help clarify a bit, there seems to be confusion

verbal commits is not an opinion site, it is simply an aggregated site of players and their composite ratings (taken directly from other sites like Scout) and a listing of schools that have offered or are interested, which is taken from sources such as reports from recruiting services, coaches, or from the players themselves

it's not a site that can be considered true or not, because it's not based on anything other than actual reports - and these are typically clearly seen in the twitter postings for each player - JM may simply be referring to other recruiting sites which may be based on other factors involving opinion - but calling verbal commits bs doesn't make any sense because it's not that kind of site

also, regarding the rankings - what you are looking at are a lot of players in classes that have not yet been fully evaluated (i.e. '16 '17 '18) - the default is 2 stars

I can tell you from my view, this staff is offering some of the more talented players of any staff in recent memory, 'name' kids that people recognize rather than someone no one has ever heard of, and they are offering MORE of them than any staff I've followed at HU

I've mentioned before that these guys seem to have a real knack for talent evaluation, and they are getting in on kids early that seem to blow up later - this has been happening almost like clockwork recently

Case in point: HU was in early on '16 Dylan Painter, a 6'9 PF - currently rated 2 stars - here are some of his offers post HU's:
Pitt, Clemson, NC State, Providence, Xavier, Dayton, Duquesne... and that's in addition to others like Richmond, Davidson, St Joes, Georgia Tech, URI, La Salle, GW, Penn State, and on and on...

Now does that sound like a 2 star guy to you?? Exactly. The rankings will adjust when all camps and player evaluations have been completed for each class - and make no mistake, these are the kind of guys HU is offering on a consistent basis - watch what happens the next time HU offers a guy, follow his other suitors after that - it's amazing to see

HU's talent evaluation seems to be fantastic, and they are jumping on them early, I think it's just a matter of finding the right ones who view HU as the right situation for them. I am extremely encouraged by what I see from this staff in recruiting.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Thks Polito
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with those above posts regarding quality of players we are going after and the ranking assigned by various scouting agencies/services. A good set of scouting/projectability eyes on a D1 coach can land very good talent that is not highly rated. JY Green is a good example. How about Marcus Thornton from W&M......2* recruit yet just drafted by Celtics. not sure what Charles Jenkins was rated coming out of high school, but I don't think he was highly rated either.

I am pretty confident though that JAM and staff can read and just as importantly, project talent pretty well. I'd be thrilled if we picked up a bunch of 2* guys like Painter or Pemberton, or some of the others we have offered.

Finally, recall guys like the first Buie from Penn State. Highly rated, obviously talented, but never panned out. there's always the mental and maturity part of the equation thats hard to calculate.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cards wrote: Finally, recall guys like the first Buie from Penn State. Highly rated, obviously talented, but never panned out. there's always the mental and maturity part of the equation thats hard to calculate.
Sheldon Richardson? JPP? Lots of stupidity to go around.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Don't forget the relief pitcher from the Mets
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hilarious GaryG
Cards

Post by Cards »

Not unexpected, but unfortunate just the same, Rawle Alkins and Dylan Painter remove Hofstra from thier lists of schools under consideration.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Painter was another guy HU offered relatively early on and absolutely BLEW UP - Alkins we all knew was going BIG TIME so that was obvious 8-)

At any rate, things have been veeeerryy quite lately, any rumblings??? I'm seeing offers, but whats the chatter going around out there??

I'd love to see any info on visits and/or guys that are looking good for HU - as we know, this is a VITAL class for the program - the level of need and amount of PT available should be a huge selling point to strong talent
Cards

Post by Cards »

Two more recruits remove HU from list of schools under consideration. 6'7" SG DeAndre Hunter and 6'8" PF Kevin Marfo.

I have to assume that there are more recruits in the pipeline than shown on "verbal Commits" website. I know JAM has said don't rely solely on that website, but for now, thats all we have. 2016 recruiting class does not have any PFs or Cs. Even though we currently have 3 bigs on the roster for the next 3 years, I would still like to see someone in the pipeline.

Of course, as many on the board have stated, the need from this class will be the 6'5" to 6'7" wing who can shoot. After this year, we only have Robinson to try and fill that role.
Polito

Post by Polito »

no shocker as mentioned...

WG and WF are the absolute priority IMO
garyg

Post by garyg »

6-0 Buie 5-10 Powers
6-2 Bernardi 6-1 Foreman
6-5 Robinson
6-9 Gustys 6-10 Walker
6-8 Sabety

8 scholarship players---with the 5 scholarships need to land at least 2 scorers...by definition scorer can put points on board in different ways...Bernardi is a shooter, not a scorer...of 8 scholarship guys above only Foreman has potential to be a scorer...need to add some guys that can light things up
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:6-0 Buie 5-10 Powers
6-2 Bernardi 6-1 Foreman
6-5 Robinson
6-9 Gustys 6-10 Walker
6-8 Sabety

8 scholarship players---with the 5 scholarships need to land at least 2 scorers...by definition scorer can put points on board in different ways...Bernardi is a shooter, not a scorer...of 8 scholarship guys above only Foreman has potential to be a scorer...need to add some guys that can light things up
That 2016 roster as is - isn't a run and gun lineup - is more a big slow, set-up offense. Its a long way away and many things can change that 2016-17 roster/lineup.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

To that point, it's not realistic to expect any exciting commitments until the season is underway and we (hopefully) are having a great run. If we can put a number of big W's up and show that Gustys/Buie/Foreman/bernardi are strong building blocks, good recruits will start to take us seriously.

I'm not saying a quality pickup/verbal isn't possible right now-- I just think we need to start some positive momentum before the types of players we want start keeping us on their lists.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Need to add some scorers to the 2016-2017 slow setup offense...optimistic we can add 2 or 3 recruits by end of November...rest for the spring
garyg

Post by garyg »

It will be very interesting to see who emerges as our top 2 recruits this fall who we realistically have a chance to sign...right now I do not have a clue who these players are?? Does anyone else??