MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:Still no official announcement on Jalen Ray ????
Jalen Ray is in
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:
Jalen Ray is in
Why no official announcement like with Wormley ???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:
Jalen Ray is in
Why no official announcement like with Wormley ???
No clue
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Possible prep school
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

The Silence of the Lambs!!! :|
Polito

Post by Polito »

"In" and "possible prep school" are two very different things. In means there is no prep school. Otherwise he's not in. So if HUSID says he's in, then prep is not.

Hey, I've been a proponent of Osbel and the UR program for months - he's a take ALL DAY for me at the 3, total stat machine - would love him behind Pemba - not a 4 though, which is the #1 need.

HC Feminella is an HU guy, that program has talent, it's up and coming, LOCAL, and would be a great pipeline IMO - should be a focus

There are at least 3 D1 talents on the current roster. Lemus could be a great PG for HU in the '18 class if they decide to pursue him.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Here are 7 things I am hoping for:

1] Landing that impact 4

2] HUSID80 is right regarding JAM'S recruiting

3] Walker is transferring out

4] Wormley is as good as coaching staff thinks he is

5] We sign Osbel Caraballo

6] Trueheart can provide some productive minutes off bench next season

7] Staff lands impact transfer even if he has to sit out next season
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Hope all your wishes come true Gary.
garyg

Post by garyg »

garyg wrote:Here are 7 things I am hoping for:

1] Landing that impact 4

2] HUSID80 is right regarding JAM'S recruiting

3] Walker is transferring out

4] Wormley is as good as coaching staff thinks he is

5] We sign Osbel Caraballo

6] Trueheart can provide some productive minutes off bench next season

7] Staff lands impact transfer even if he has to sit out next season
Make it 8] Ray is on next seasons roster
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great list, only your #4 is my #1. They better be right about him, because Powers was not the right PG for this team or system. Good player, wrong kind of point, and the team could not overcome it.

HU needs a STUD floor general who is an absolute master at creating and dishing.

The 4 spot (your #1) is my easy #2. #1a really.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We will have two real Pgs next season...that is huge compared to last year...they can play different roles and used in different combinations. Sure we can use a couple of additional pieces and I'm confident we'll add them...I see one or two eligible transfers and one big who will sit next year and be ready for '18.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID80 wrote:I see one or two eligible transfers and one big who will sit next year and be ready for '18.
I love your positive attitude and hope your prediction (inside info??) is close to correct. Of course at least one of the immediately eligible transfers has to be a solid 4 who can defend and help spread the floor. Frankly, I am getting concerned about getting the impact 4. Yes, there are lots of transfers available (although many have already committed), but only 10-20% of them can play right away. And of that group of 10-20%, only about 15% can play the 4 spot. And finally, of that small remaining group, my guess is that only half are worth going after. Cmon JM, make it happen!!

Personally, I like the idea of a 5 with experience taking over that spot in 2 years. Either a transfer who sits next year or a talented younger guy who redshirts so that he can physically mature and bang with the other bigs in practice for a year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The two PGs have issues. DB is coming off injury and we have no idea how effective he will be. Wormley has less than stellar stats as a starter. We dont know how that will translate in CAA play
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

4/27/2017 - 2017 SF Jairus Stevens (6-5, -, 2★) committed to Fort Wayne.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Never thought he was talented enough honestly, wasn't sure why JM was personally checking him out...

BUT, if for some reason JM did want him, and he went to Fort Wayne, goodness.

If HU is going after a 3 / wing, can someone please explain to me why Osbel still hasn't been sealed?? I really don't get it. IMO he answered every question about how he can perform against top competition this past year or two - they played a decent schedule, and he want up against and often lit up some of the best prep programs out there.

In addition to his talent, there are the future benefits: local program pipeline, and the culture connection, which could produce future players and/or a new section of a fanbase.

Has decent offers and looks, but nothing that HU should not be able to overcome. Again, the 4 is #1, but if they're taking a 3 in this class, then do it already for goodness sake.

Mcknight I believe is visiting Canisius.

Wonder if Justin Minaya is still in play? Seems like a nice player - about an inch shorter than I would want for the 4, but he appears to stretch the floor at the position.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

They have offered Osbel...it's on his end that there is a holdup...these kids are all waiting for the best offer possible, seems regardless of whether they can play there or not. Take Lane for example, he will be a bit player at VCU, could have been the FOUR at Hofstra...would have propelled him to a seet overseas pro job...not now.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Will there be any quality/impact 4's left for us when all is said and done HUSID80 ???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Gary, there are guys out there, only time will tell.
Polito

Post by Polito »

How did the big weekend of key visits go?

*Disclaimer: I mean, I'm assuming this staff has visits on tap on a regular basis just like every other program big or small during this last recruiting period, considering the dire need and urgency, until they land what they need to.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Gary, there are guys out there, only time will tell.
Sure there are guys out there but we do not need just anyone, we need an IMPACT 4...It is a new month so hopefully staff will pickup the pace...We definitely need results which means a signing...recruiting all these guys does not mean much if we can not sign some of them