MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by HUSID80 »

If I'm a talented wing I would come to Hofstra in a heartbeat. You will probably start right away and play in an uptempo offense and be fed the ball by two talented guards. You would also be the final piece to the puzzle that will allow us to contend for the CAA title next season.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Does anyone know if Joe Lopez from Broward CC has committed to any school yet. He is the best player on Bob Starkmanns squad. He is 6frt7 and 215. WE got such players as Adrian Uter and Mike Szabo among others from the this school.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Stu - he's listed on their roster as 6'8" 225 lbs. I saw a highlight video of him. Really good player. problem is that he looks to be very much like RG and HS. Averages 12 rebounds and mid-teens pts per game, but all of his pts are within 8-10 ft of the hoop! If we wanted another true power forward, he would fit the bill, but he is definitely not a wing type player. I don't see that he has committed anywhere.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Stu - he's listed on their roster as 6'8" 225 lbs. I saw a highlight video of him. Really good player. problem is that he looks to be very much like RG and HS. Averages 12 rebounds and mid-teens pts per game, but all of his pts are within 8-10 ft of the hoop! If we wanted another true power forward, he would fit the bill, but he is definitely not a wing type player. I don't see that he has committed anywhere.
He's not listed as one of our recruits on any of the sites like Verbal Commits. We are going after wings.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Any wing who can run the court in transition should watch Buie push a fast break off of a Rok rebound...that's all the persuasion someone should need :lol:
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He is 35 pounds lighter than RG. He has range 8-10 feet can easily expand his range to 15 feet. Not a true wing but also not a post player at 225. I would take a flyer on him.We would have 3 more schollys after him.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Staffs pitch to recruits this year should be "we are not rebuilding, we are reloading...come be a big part of it"
Polito

Post by Polito »

great size for the SF/Wing role, however, as stated, his game seems to be more in the paint - he has talent, he's a Winthrop transfer, a double-double machine both in HS and in JUCO - he moves well enough to cover multiple positions, just seems like his scoring ability is around the basket - HU needs guys his size that can hit a jumper, and hang around the perimeter and comfortably hit from deep, slash to the hoop, etc.

he's def a developing talent, more ability there, rebounds very well, good positioning, etc. - just maybe not exactly what HU needs

and I agree 100% that this teams setup next year should be VERY attractive to an impact wing - you are going to play a major role and be fed the ball to make your mark and load your stats - this should not be difficult to fill...so my expectations are quite high for JM and Co. to produce NCAAT-caliber talent in this class

EP a fantastic start, need to finish it

Caught a tweet that the HU staff (among other notables) was at the Loughlin vs CTK game the other night - def some major recruiting going on there...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Congrats to future HU stud, EP!!! We, and the rest of the sports world, will get the chance to watch this young man showcase his skill on national television! Suit him up baby, #BLEEDBLUE !

https://highschoolslam.com/mens/dunk
After four weeks of voting, the fans have spoken and determined who will complete in the 2016 American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships!

TUNE IN SUNDAY, APRIL 3RD
FROM 3:30 – 5:00 PM ET ON CBS
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Ellis Christmas was on an unofficial visit to Hofstra today, senior out of Suffield, CT.

https://twitter.com/SuffieldHoops/statu ... 5198973953
Cards

Post by Cards »

Christmas is a 6'1" PG. Saw some year old video of him. I trust the coaches opinion that he has something to offer, but honestly the video is not very impressive.

More importantly....HU has offered 2016 Aleem Ford. He is a 3* recruit out of IMG Academy. 6'7" wingman!! :D :D Watched a little video of him and you can see what he brings to the table and could also turn into. Nice and athletic, can shoot the 3, attacks the baskets and finishes well. A little lean right now at 195 lbs. but heck, hes in high school. AF has offers from HU, Richmond, Rutgers, American, and interest from some major D1 programs.

I's love to see us pick up Saintel (the JUCO wing we offered) for the immediate impact and a kid like Ford for impact down the road.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hey Cards...where did you hear about the Hofstra offer to Ford?
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:Hey Cards...where did you hear about the Hofstra offer to Ford?
it is shown on the verbal commits page. When you click on "Ford", it indicates we offered the same day as Richmond. I assume this is correct and it was a legit offer - but you know what they say happens when you "assume" :lol:
garyg

Post by garyg »

If the staff can land 3 quality recruits we are in good shape for next season as well as the year after....i would hang on to the 13th scholarship in case any quality transfers become available
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We have interest in Tyquone Greet of JUCU Daytona State
https://twitter.com/MyLineOfChamps/stat ... 0205885440
Cards

Post by Cards »

Greer looks very interesting. highly recruited 3* wing (6'7") out of high school. Poor grades forced him to the JUCO route. Then at a party one night he takes a bullet to the calf (hitting all soft tissue). Obviously his bball was impacted. He supposedly is now back 100% and last semester was on the deans list at school. Might be one of those stories where the guy really is getting his life together (nice to hear). Anyway, before the injury his video easily shows why the guy had major offers....really athletic, inside and outside game. Could be a sleeper pick-up. We shall see.

I do like our recent efforts at going after the 6'7" wings. Saintel, Ford, and now Greer.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Let's not forget about Antwan Walker although he may be a long shot as I think more biggies will get involved with him over next 60 days
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Che Bob is heading to Little Rock
LR won their conference - supposedly not a bad little team
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, good squad this yr

So, all kinds of great recruiting nuggets! Ill take 2 of Saintel, Ford, Greer, Gray, and Walker - team completers and game changers

HU has def been on Ford for awhile, scouted for a long time, and maybe just recently decided to really go after him (?) - I LOVE his game - prototype guy, exactly the mold needed - he's not in HS, he graduated in NJ and attends prep now, IMG in Fl - that team is oozing with 4 and 5 star talent, Fords potential is only just starting to show, big talent IMO - get him on campus!

Greer a really great story - high major recruit (legit offers), gets shot in the leg as a non-involved bystander (there were a number of people hurt), and a combo of that rehab and grades is my guess to his Juco route - he comes back to his HS team just a couple of weeks later, begs reluctant coach to play at end of game, comes in off the bench, rehab leg and all, and nails a game-winning 3, his only shot lol - Hoosiers moment ensues 8-) - now 2nd yr at Daytona has appeared to made a full recovery, tearing it up

We know Walker Gray and Saintel would bring GREAT stuff to table - HU going after the PERFECT guys, all 3 star low major-high mid level, long and athletic 6'6-6'8 guys that can hit from all over, in the paint or from deep, run well, pass, rebound, block, love what I'm seeing on the evaluations and the hustle, now lets bring 2 home

As for the PG, I'm ok with taking one to redshirt and learn/grow as long as they land 2 stud wings - but this class doesn't need one to play now - prefer they use it to get the next big talent to follow Buie, not just any decent guy, unless they're looking for viable bench backup

The potential and suspense is intense for this class!!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

What is the sense for all this chatter, let's wait till LOI's are signed and then we can still only guess at what kind of team we have