NCAA or NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: NCAA or NIT

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:CBS is really dragging out the NCAAT announcements. Didn't this used to be a half-hour show?
Used to b 6-7 pm, now it's 5:30 - 7:30 pm.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

When is the NIT selection process.
gdtrfb

Post by gdtrfb »

stuball888 wrote:When is the NIT selection process.
8:30 ESPNU
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Being on the bubble board at least means we were somewhat in discussion...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yeh that was nice but I think taking Michigan and Tulsa is not good.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

NIT it is
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

No respect for the CAA, even if it ranked ninth in the country.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No Monmouth either. Tim Cluess in at a 13 seed w Iona. So SBU gets to play kentucky before we do.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

How does the CAA get the same seed as the America East? We're a top 10 conference.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes...oh well but Syracuse????? Come on!!!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

First four out get the 1 seeds in the NIT. I've seen predictions that have us as either a 2, 3, or 4.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Yes...oh well but Syracuse????? Come on!!!!!
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 5079015426

SMH.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

no Monmouth? that is BS -
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

St Bonaventure didn't even get in with an RPI around 30.

An NIT projection had us hosting LSU. LSU just announced that they will not be participating in any post-season tournament. I guess we scared 'em away :lol:
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: Yes...oh well but Syracuse????? Come on!!!!!
Teams outside the top eight conferences got no respect. If I'm correct, the last at-large bid would have been 52th in the RPI if the top 36 teams that needed at-large bids got them. Louisville and SMU are in the Top 52 of the RPI and ineligible. If every team was eligible, the cutoff would have been the Top 50. Here are snubs from the Top 52 of the RPI:

Here are at-large bids from outside the Top 52 of the RPI:

Butler (56)
Michigan (57)
Tulsa (58)
Temple (59)
Vanderbilt (61)
Syracuse (71)

Those are all from the Top 8 conferences.

Here are snubs from the Top 52 of the RPI:

St. Bonaventure (30)
Akron (34)
St. Mary's (37)
Princeton (38)
San Diego State (40)
Valparaiso (49)

None of them are from the Top 6 conferences, and only St. Bonaventure is from the Top 8 conferences. Also notable is that Virginia Commonwealth got a 10 seed, with an RPI 1 spot below St. Bonaventure, and they're both in the Atlantic 10. With St. Bonaventure and Florida State out, Hofstra had no wins over teams that got at-large bids. Monmouth was 53rd in the RPI, so they would have been the first team out if the RPI was used.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote: St Bonaventure didn't even get in with an RPI around 30.
Out with a 30 vs. Syracuse in with a 70. Spread of 40 -- one of the worst snubs ever from that standpoint?
ProudofPride wrote: An NIT projection had us hosting LSU. LSU just announced that they will not be participating in any post-season tournament. I guess we scared 'em away :lol:
He could have got hurt in the NCAAT too. Way to put yourself ahead of your teammates, Ben. LSU should play in the NIT without him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
ProudofPride wrote: St Bonaventure didn't even get in with an RPI around 30.
Out with a 30 vs. Syracuse in with a 70. Spread of 40 -- one of the worst snubs ever from that standpoint?
I think Missouri State was 22nd in 2005-2006, and I remember Air Force being called undeserving of their at-large bid that season, but I can't confirm that because a website with good historical data, http://www.bbstate.com had a data "catastrophe." Virginia Commonwealth (31st) and Syracuse (71st) each got 10 seeds. That must be one of the biggest RPI gaps between two teams with the same seed excluding automatic bids for the worst tournament teams. The 16 seeds have a range of 94 RPI spots, but there's nothing the Selection Committee could have done about that.

None of the four 8 vs. 9 games are between teams that would have gotten consecutive seeds if the RPI was used. Because of Syracuse having an RPI 50 spots worse than Dayton, if you add up the four RPI gaps for each pair of seeds that face each other, the 5 vs. 12 games are more even than the 6 vs. 11 and 7 vs. 10 games.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I honestly thought we had a better chance at an at-large compared to '06, we had a terrible OOC SOS that year, this year we went out and played some good teams and won some big games. Plus we were #1 in the conference compared #3 in '06

What a bunch of stupid, money-grubbing assholes on the selection committee this year. ONE at-large from a non top 8 RPI conference. I thought it was the 36 most deserving at-large teams no matter what, apparently that only matters if your conference has a major TV deal.

How the hell does Oregon State get a 7 seed? Ten conference losses, lost to Valpo at home, how the hell did they even get into the NCAAT? It's just bullshit that the decision factors on at-large bids are manipulated ever year to allow the major conferences to get all of the at-large bids. In the recent years, the committee has become even more brazen with their incompetence and inconsistency. All that Michigan, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, and Tulsa, have proven is that they're not tournament teams. Syracuse lost to St. John's, 10th place in the ACC and they're in. What a resume :roll:

And they wonder why CBB attendance is down. 275 schools have to be perfect to get into the Big Dance, while a slapdick program like Syracuse can literally cheat their way into the tournament every year, because it says ACC on their shorts. What a disgrace.
gdtrfb

Post by gdtrfb »

F****NG FIVE SEED?????
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Is this a joke?