MBB Game 9 - Siena

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB Game 9 - Siena

Post by daHUPride »

bobe13 wrote:Rest is not the answer. I predict a loss on Sat. as well. Very undermanned and inconsistent team.
only things is this hu team, like my ny giants, when i think they should win they lay an egg and lose - and when i am down on them the rise to the occasion and win games i think shouldn't - good luck boys
Polito

Post by Polito »

Excellent points all around, agree fully, and noted a lot of the issues I had initially right after game 1 - even though it was a win, there were some glaring red flags to me - got a little beat up for being quite vocal and passionate about those issues, but now as I expected things have become more clear

I'm actually not that upset by the loss, this team isn't perfect and there will be some games that just stink - to me it's the WAY they lost and as PPF noted, the glaring issues that have not been addressed, and that's why they got blown out by a lesser talented mid - and the headlines didn't help or sugarcoat, they got "ROLLED" - the perception is they are not doing anything to correct, that they are just hoping it works out... that is NOT the impression you want to be giving. It's time this staff showed visible improvement in some key areas:

1) Bench and D: 100% related - the D is soft BECAUSE of the short bench - the bigs are forced to stand with their hands straight up while opponents score at will - having a high powered scoring O is a perfectly effective strategy, and yes your D is going to suffer a bit from it - I have NO desire whatsoever to back to the rock fight sleepers of TP's days - this way is FINE, but you still have to play some level of productive D - even if you score 90 you still need to get a few stops at key times to keep the distance - and that's a CHOICE by this staff to run short, they HAVE other options, just choosing not to use - I just cannot fathom the willingness to take that kind of risk this yr, huge frustration
2) Passion/Effort/Focus - this is one of the most important seasons in recent memory, and my biggest issue with game 1 was they didn't come out like it was - absolutely infuriated me - to their credit it has improved over the last few games, however, the Siena game it reared it's ugly head - an experienced team with star leadership should absolutely NEVER have to be questioned in this area

Again, I'm still on board, this is a good exciting team that's going to win a lot of games - this game can be erased with a big W against SBU - but my ultimate concern is exactly the same as last yr, I have not seen anything yet that proves to me this group as it stands right now can win the CAAT by beating 3 quality CAA teams in 3 straight days. I have however seen a few things that concern me:

1) Weak D
2) Short bench
3) Questions around bringing the A game EVERY game
4) Failed to get the job done in a weekend tourney already this yr

Those are beyond red flags for winning this conf, they are tornado warnings - I believe they have the ABILITY, but those things cannot be overcome by trying to muscle it out with sheer scoring power - what if the shots don't fall in game 2 of the CAAT?? What is their alternate plan?? Is that it?? Is this entire season being left to guys shooting unconscious for 3 straight days??? PLEASE tell me that is not the case, and they will develop another way to win games without scoring 80+ from beyond the arc...

Like I said, I'm pulling for these guys BIG TIME - love these players and this staff, want this for them and for all HU badly - but you can't just keep beating your head against the wall, at some point you need to change and get better. This group needs to do that PRONTO.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The source of our problems is that we're very limited athletically.

Besides for Nichols and the freshmen, I don't think we have athletes good enough to play man to man defense on our level. The CAA is a step up athletically from the MAAC and Ivy League, and we have guys who are physically on that level.

We need the bench to emerge and log more minutes, JWF and Walker/Djambo need to be able to get 15+ minutes to take the pressure off the starters, who have been getting gassed late. We just need more bench minutes so we can be fresh enough to keep pressuring in the zone.

Offensively we're fine, definitely have to give credit to Siena's man to man, which forced some bad shot selection, but we shot poorly regardless, even when we had open looks. I hate that our floor is that we can lose to teams like Indiana State and Siena, but until the composition of our bench evolves, we're going to get gassed on the defensive side of the court, and give up too many O-boards and easy shots, that will keep everybody in the game.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Siena follows up with a W vs traditionally good Albany team after beating us last week. Still think we should have beaten Siena but them also beating Albany gives Siena a little more cred then I gave them prior to our game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Coming into the season I thought we would be the best mid major in the NY metro area. Monmouth past us by and We lost to Siena. We better beat SBU or this could be a lost season.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:Coming into the season I thought we would be the best mid major in the NY metro area. Monmouth past us by and We lost to Siena. We better beat SBU or this could be a lost season.
I agree with you stuball888 - I did too - thought we'd be the best mid-major in the NY metro.
I think the SBU game is a big game but not a make or break season maker though.
I am both happy and frustrated with the recent press that JAM has been focusing on D after the Siena game - happy and hopeful that it will pay off and be a turning point for this team and its intensity - frustrated because coming into the season we all knew that we were going to desperately need to step up our D (compared to last year) and we came out starting every game of this new season acting like we only need to get one more possession and get the last shot of every game to win - that our O was going to be our cure all. Surprise surprise surprise - you need to play D as well as play O.