Transfers and Other Player News

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Transfers and Other Player News

Post by stuball888 »

Could the coaching staff be complete now Only 3assts allowed No word or rumors of any other coach being persued Very quiet around here
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Estrada and our new assistant coach, Serge Clement, both have ties to St. Peter's:

https://goducks.com/sports/mens-basketb ... rada/10397

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... ement/1867
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Did Estrada sign with us?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

He hasn't announced where he's going yet, but we're in the mix.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Another guard?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yeh crazy, already 14 on roster...gotta beleive some of the current guys will not be in blue and gold next year...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wherever he lands, Estrada may have to sit out a year -- no?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... sfer-rules

Estrada already transferred from St. Peter's, where he was the 2019-20 MAAC Rookie of the Year, to Oregon. Does he qualify for a second immediate transfer due to Covid? Or maybe he can qualify for a "hardship" waiver?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HU87

Post by HU87 »

In guards we trust... :-)
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

We lose one guy to Maine and another to Grambling
We add a guy from Oregon, Iowa State, St Bonnies and UPenn

First - I think I like what we get compared to what and where our former guys are going
On the surface it seems like an upgrade
Kudos to Speedy - says something about who we are getting

We have a lot of guards - have we ever been deeper and experienced
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

I think Estrada is going to be a very good addition. But to be fair, we are getting a transfer from St Peter's, not Oregon. He never should have gone West after an excellent frosh season in the MAAC.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wonder if this means Curtin and Cobian are still with the program. Can’t imagine it was coincidence that we signed someone the same day they both tweeted. Would think they have to be on the inside to know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:We lose one guy to Maine and another to Grambling

First - I think I like what we get compared to what and where our former guys are going

daHUPride let's not forget the best transfer of the bunch is Cooks you forgot to mention him from NJIT. A starting PG WHO HAS COMPILED QUITE A RESUME. So with the signing of all these guards it would certainly lend credence to the belief that Kante is not going anywhere unless we have a post player in our pocket sort of speak. We have 14 kids on scholarship so we don't have any more to give unless like has been said someone else is leaving which could be true with all these guards. I don't think Ray's scholarship counts towards the 13 so we're not over the scholarship allotment. It does seem like this kid Estrada will have to sit out and I know he's a good player but what do we do with all these players who pretty much play the same position. What happens to Silverio, Bethea and even Burgess?? I wonder if Barrouk has to rehab that somehow his scholly isn't counted towards the 13. I only say this because so many rules seem to have been changed you wonder whether injury related redshirts get some other kind of dispensation.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:We lose one guy to Maine and another to Grambling

daHUPride let's not forget the best transfer of the bunch is Cooks you forgot to mention him from NJIT. A starting PG WHO HAS COMPILED QUITE A RESUME. So with the signing of all these guards it would certainly lend credence to the belief that Kante is not going anywhere unless we have a post player in our pocket sort of speak. We have 14 kids on scholarship so we don't have any more to give unless like has been said someone else is leaving which could be true with all these guards. I don't think Ray's scholarship counts towards the 13 so we're not over the scholarship allotment. It does seem like this kid Estrada will have to sit out and I know he's a good player but what do we do with all these players who pretty much play the same position. What happens to Silverio, Bethea and even Burgess?? I wonder if Barrouk has to rehab that somehow his scholly isn't counted towards the 13. I only say this because so many rules seem to have been changed you wonder whether injury related redshirts get some other kind of dispensation.
Yes - sir!

I have Cooks penciled in as our starting PG (I did not forget him - was trying to make the point that we are getting Big School transfers and we are losing our players to lesser schools-thought Cooks/NJIT was a lateral in my example) -

All good points triplec2195 - you have to wonder about Silverio; Bethea; Barrouk and (yes-one of my favorites) Burgess. Red Shirting and Transferring are all in play here.

But with redshirting/mandatory sitting out I am still impressed with who/what Speedy has brought in

2/3 years of:
PG - Carlos; G - Estrada; G - Dubar; F - Cramer; F - TBD
that is deep; athletic and versatile foundation - that I like!!!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Nice get. Excited for next year. I am in agreement that I think we have some former players on the roster as of now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We are definitely losing some guys based on the number of signings...having said that the guys Speedy has brought in are clear upgrades over the guys who have left.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Holy smokes I cannot even keep up with this lol :shock: :lol:

Some reeeeeal nice skill coming onboard here - clearly some changes on the horizon, and Speedy seems to have a plan in mind - with a group like this gonna press up and down the floor, and run teams ragged out of the gym

Love the recruiting, but also will note this is a LOT of ‘new’ - it is not easy to form a unified well-oiled team out of this many player changes - gonna find out if Speedy can take this jumbled group and make them into a family

REALLY hope Kante is staying - UPenn kid is a great add, but very diff big - absolutely need IK manning the 5

Big challenge, big opportunity. Let’s see what Speedy is made of as a head dog.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A lot of us felt that Speedy with his pedigree running the team would be recruiting at a higher level and this apparently has gone to fruition and this is no knock on Joe or Mike who did solid jobs here. Yeah HUSID80 we certainly have appeared to upgrade our personnel over what we have and like Polito has said can all these new players gel together. We have so many good players in the fold it's difficult to foresee who gets what minutes aside from Kante, Ray and Cramer. After them it seems like a crap-show as to who will get what I guess with the exception being Cooks who I feel compelled to pencil in as the starting PG(SORRY Caleb) I mean how could you not. Like I have said and others before Cooks and Ray both play a lot of minutes I think Ray led the CAA in minutes played how do these other guys get minutes. Cramer averaged 27.4 but remember he was coming off the bench in the early going. He also sat a lot in the first half when he picked up two fouls. Kante played almost 32 minutes leaving around 8 minutes at the 5. I see where there will be minutes at the 4&5 but everywhere else minutes could be very hard to come by.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I was just pondering the acquisition of this kid Estrada and another really solid player with a lot of offensive upside. So he did transfer once already but last year only played in 9 games for Oregon. Is that because he decided to transfer out and he left the school or did he get hurt?? Questions that need to be answered that could impact his eligibility. Although if he sits out a year that would loosen up the minutes situation which is already going to be hard to come by.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:I was just pondering the acquisition of this kid Estrada and another really solid player with a lot of offensive upside. So he did transfer once already but last year only played in 9 games for Oregon. Is that because he decided to transfer out and he left the school or did he get hurt?? Questions that need to be answered that could impact his eligibility. Although if he sits out a year that would loosen up the minutes situation which is already going to be hard to come by.
Yeah good points.
Selfishly I would hope some of these "similar" transfer-in players would sit a year - Estrada - Vasquez - Dubar.
1) It would help the gelling process - of developing into Speedy's system (similar to Tanksley and Green when they came to HU with JAM) (to Politio Point)
2) strengthen our pipeline - having a combo of Estrada - Vasquez - Dubar along with holdovers of Cramer - Green - Carlos locked up through '23-'24 - I think this BIG
3) gives us time to recruit "bigs" - either to develop OR transfer in for a year or two

I do however wonder - why these recruits are coming now - if, say (Assistant Coach) Speedy recruited them before
1) was it because of JAM - to strict? type of play? risk of not being one of the "core four" that gets 90% of the minutes?
2) did we loosen our criteria of type of recruits
3) is Speedy telling them there will be a new system (more playing time/ more shots)

Bottom line - i like what i see - he has done a lot in short period - and I for one am totally impressed