Justin Wright-Foreman's Legacy

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Justin Wright-Foreman's Legacy

Post by Wags »

Jojo, Dutch Mount Rushmore - I like that! Although, so many good ones in recent years added to the guys in the past, it's getting increasingly difficult to limit it to only four.

On JWF... as we know, the knock on him being an NBA prospect is his size for his skillset. He's a great shooting guard in a point guard body. While the NBA is about scoring today, and he can certainly score in a variety of different ways, both from the perimeter and attacking the basket, it's still tough to get to the next level that way. You generally need point guard skills in a point guard body or shooting guard skills in a shooting guard body. But here's something different - this is only one play, but check out what he does here, starting at 1:17, splitting the D and then maintaining the control and awareness to find Coburn for the corner 3. That's the type of thing NBA scouts and GM's would love from a point guard who can also score the way JWF can. If he can show more of this at Portsmouth, Summer League, or wherever else, plus better defense, he could have a shot:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 9348684800
HU76

Post by HU76 »

Jojogunne wrote:Rich Laurel was the best Hofstra player I've ever seen. Speedy was second and Charles third. Justin is closing in on the fourth spot on my person Dutch "Mount Rushmore".

Note: I did not see Nisenson or Thieben. I am not THAT old! :)
This would be my ranking too. All amazing players. I didn’t get to see Bill Thieben play either but got to know him later through the Hoop Club. Great guy who continued to support the program. His rebounding and scoring numbers were staggering. And like Nisenson, he was not freshman eligible. Might need to find room for him on Mount Rushmore.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Rich Laurel was the best Hofstra player I've ever seen. Speedy was second and Charles third. Justin is closing in on the fourth spot on my person Dutch "Mount Rushmore".

Note: I did not see Nisenson or Thieben. I am not THAT old! :)
Jojo we go back that far and my memory is a bit faded but we take a lot of things for granted with Justin. He is making tougher shots then both Laurel and Jenkins and Rich Laurel is one of my favorite players. Speedy was a different kind of player a true PG WHO COULD PASS it and pick your pocket but Justin may be the best there has ever been here. I think for sure that Justin is a better shooter with more range then Speedy. Speedy really needed to develop his mid range game and beyond. He was a passer and could penetrate but not the greatest shooter early on.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I think Rushmore idea of the best ever needs a name, like... Mount Dutchmore?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:I think Rushmore idea of the best ever needs a name, like... Mount Dutchmore?
Excellent Wags love it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He leads the CAA with 17.71 field goal attempts per game. Riller is second with 15.04.
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol love that name

Anyhoo, there is only one thing that matters - if he doesn't lead this team to the dance, he will be just like Stokes, Jenkins, Green, etc. Another tremendous HU guard who took the league by storm and left with a bunch of individual accolades, but nothing much else to show for it. This is not meant to knock any of them, each were a sight to see with their own incredible talents. There is no question JWF is the same, easily top 5, prob top 3, and an argument could be made for 1. This was clear a long time ago.

But if he really wants a true legacy, it is Dance or Bust. Period.

Only a precious few have taken HU to the promised land. That is the only differentiating factor that matters when it's all said and done. And I guarantee he knows that.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:lol love that name

Anyhoo, there is only one thing that matters - if he doesn't lead this team to the dance, he will be just like Stokes, Jenkins, Green, etc. Another tremendous HU guard who took the league by storm and left with a bunch of individual accolades, but nothing much else to show for it. This is not meant to knock any of them, each were a sight to see with their own incredible talents. There is no question JWF is the same, easily top 5, prob top 3, and an argument could be made for 1. This was clear a long time ago.

But if he really wants a true legacy, it is Dance or Bust. Period.

Only a precious few have taken HU to the promised land. That is the only differentiating factor that matters when it's all said and done. And I guarantee he knows that.
I think everyone is on board (no pun intended) with this, including JWF, all of his teammates and his entire coaching staff.

That said, it's still fun to track records. And on that note, updated through the loss at UNCW:

1) Charles Jenkins (2007-11) 2,513 (+424)
2) Antoine Agudio (2004-08) 2,276 (+187)
3) Steve Nisenson (1962-65) 2,222 (+133)
4) Loren Stokes (2003-07) 2,148 (+59)
5) Rich Laurel (1973-77) 2,102 (+13 to tie)
6) Justin Wright-Foreman (2015-19) 2,089

Will likely pass Laurel on Thursday night and a decent shot at catching or passing Stokes on Senior Day, on Saturday.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Tracking Justin's points also puts his achievements into perspective vs. all of the great Hofstra athletes who preceded him. He really is one of our all-time best players.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If we play 4 games in the CAA and other tournaments, he's on pace to be well short of our Top 20 in rebounds, somewhat short of Top 10 in assists, and well short of Top 10 in steals. He's on pace for 273 threes. He has 249 now. I'm going to the game on Saturday and maybe he can pass Bernardi for second. Bernardi has 256. Agudio leads with 357. He's on pace to make 413 free throws. Hofstra doesn't have their career leaders, but it could be Jenkins, who made 639. Stokes made 463. He's made 372, and passed Agudio's 359. Even if JWF had as many rebounds and assists as a freshman than the average of his last three seasons, he would still be well behind Stokes in both. In rebounds and assists, Jenkins and Stokes were better than JWF and Agudio.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

#3 jersey t-shirts for the first 1000 students on Saturday's game against JMU, which is senior night. Any chance they retire the number, as a surprise? They did something similar for Shante Evans on her senior night.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:#3 jersey t-shirts for the first 1000 students on Saturday's game against JMU, which is senior night. Any chance they retire the number, as a surprise? They did something similar for Shante Evans on her senior night.
They did it for Charles Jenkins. Played that game with his No. 22 on the floor. But that wasn't a good team, it was mainly about Charles. This team is fighting for titles and has other key contributing honorees on the same day, so I think they'll wait until later on for JWF.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: But that wasn't a good team, it was mainly about Charles. This team is fighting for titles and has other key contributing honorees on the same day, so I think they'll wait until later on for JWF.
It was a good team that was 88th in the RPI. Mike Moore transferred and scored 14.9 as a junior before leading the CAA with 19.9 the next season. We had six significant scorers. Greg Washington blocked 72 shots, and our opponents blocked 80. Our assist/turnover ratio of 1.29 was better than in 2015-2016 when Green was seventh in Division I in assists per game and won POY. Of the eight seasons from 2007-2008 through 2014-2015, our best RPI was in 2010-2011.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: But that wasn't a good team, it was mainly about Charles. This team is fighting for titles and has other key contributing honorees on the same day, so I think they'll wait until later on for JWF.
It was a good team that was 88th in the RPI. Mike Moore transferred and scored 14.9 as a junior before leading the CAA with 19.9 the next season. We had six significant scorers. Greg Washington blocked 72 shots, and our opponents blocked 80. Our assist/turnover ratio of 1.29 was better than in 2015-2016 when Green was seventh in Division I in assists per game and won POY. Of the eight seasons from 2007-2008 through 2014-2015, our best RPI was in 2010-2011.
Let me rephrase - it was a good team, not a legit contender (22-12, lost in the CAA semis, lost in the CBI)... so it was easier to do that for Charles on Senior Day than to do it now for JWF on a legit CAA contender which has a far more realistic chance of getting to the NCAA tourney, and with two other starters besides JWF who will be honored on Saturday, who are key components of a team trying to do something special this year. That's the big difference between then and now in terms of honoring the best player on Senior Day.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Updated through last night:

[1] 2,513 (396 to tie) Charles Jenkins (2007-11)
[2] 2,276 (159 to tie) Antoine Agudio (2004-08)
[3] 2,222 (105 to tie) Steve Nisenson (1962-65)
[4] 2,148 (31 to tie) Loren Stokes (2003-07)
[5] 2,117 Justin Wright-Foreman (2015-19)
[6] 2,102 Rich Laurel (1973-77)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Stokes is going down very soon then Nisenson will be next to fall I believe with any kind of luck.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2019 ... ommon.html says:

" “I was telling (assistant) coach (Mike) Farrelly: I get in the gym and I just start looking around and everything just cuts off after 2001,” Wright-Foreman said as he gestured towards the postseason banners hanging from the wall at Hofstra Arena. “Because then it’s NIT, NIT, NIT. And I knew what I wanted to do."

That's what Polito wants to hear.
Polito

Post by Polito »

AMEN. Talking my language!

It's the only thing that matters. All this other stuff, regular season, win streak, #1 seed, all 'neat' things. But if you don't cut nets, outside of us no one cares. Some are happy with 20 win seasons. They're nice for sure, but in the grand college hoops landscape that stuff is meaningless. NIT? Cute for us, but no one cares. It's DANCE or BUST baby, and JWF is all over that fact. Thank God he gets it, and isn't afraid to own it.

JWF, I do believe in you brotha, but we need to see that killer instinct 100% - go take that crown and cement yourself, this team, and this program in the history books.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:AMEN. Talking my language!

It's the only thing that matters. All this other stuff, regular season, win streak, #1 seed, all 'neat' things. But if you don't cut nets, outside of us no one cares. Some are happy with 20 win seasons. They're nice for sure, but in the grand college hoops landscape that stuff is meaningless. NIT? Cute for us, but no one cares. It's DANCE or BUST baby
I don't think there's a Hofstra fan alive who thinks differently. You can do BOTH - respect and enjoy the individual records along the way while still rooting primarily for the biggest team goals.
Wags

Post by Wags »

If you want to know what type of player and person JWF is, I asked him about Stokes after today's game. JWF had no idea passed Stokes until I told him. That's who JWF is. He really does put winning above his personal achievements.