Hofstra vs UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
RollPride15

Re: Hofstra vs UNCW

Post by RollPride15 »

Nice win, offense went nuclear in the second half and Dwyer actually gave us some really good minutes when Cacok had to sit due to foul trouble. You could tell Justin was frustrated until the last few minutes, but Pemberton & co. stepped up big time.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Pembo was great...when he plays like he did tonight we are a hard team to beat
Polito

Post by Polito »

Will take that W against the W all day long!

Where you at kerrywood? Just came by to hate huh :P

Well, the first half was pretty poor, and JWF was awful by his standards - pretty disappointed in that because they were supposed to have prepped him for any and all defendes - this was a bit concerning as he has not played great of late...

Coburn looked very strong again, great to see - and man Ray is a very good player, just scratching the surface - was good to hear JM note how under rated he is on the last coaches report - big future - JT with super hustle, and hey, have to give credit where it’s due to Dwyer - thanks for being a serving player, despite the limitations

Pemba showing again what he is really capable of - let’s go bud, stormin’ Norman-esque! Keep it going big dog, keep that fire lit!!

One thing is for sure, these kids have each other’s back - this is a true TEAM - and I think that’s one of the biggest reasons for the winning

But BIG kudos to the team for picking up JWF and showing they can win without him in the CAA - it ultimately ended up as I thought it was going to be earlier on, lol, figured it would be closer later, but I’ll take this instead every time - showed the will to win, and refused to lose

Great stuff - now... what I’ve been looking forward to see! Sat showdown against CofC, I’ll be there loud and proud, let’s gooooooooooo fellas!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Look at my previous post. I think it was the first in this thread. Key for Hofstra was limiting the damage Cacock could do. I said his numbers away from the Trask were human. I said keep him at 12 points and 10 boards and we would be ok. He wound up with 15 and 10. The second key I said was to limit the amount of assts Towes would get. I said keep him under 10 and we did just that. Great second half as we used a 12-0 run to pull away from UNCW. Now we must prepare for the big one against CofC.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Kudos to Taylor with 6 points and 12 boards plus 3 blocked shots.He played Cacock tough.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

One last stat we got to the line a lot against UNCW and made them pay for it. 23-26 for 88 percent.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

A nice "team" win and a nice stretch of high-end HU basketball to pull away. Looking forward to Saturday !

Interesting that C of C lost tonight and Delaware wins again. Can't figure those teams out. That's ok, we'll just take 'em one at a time.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Good win tonight. When you've already won 12 straight, you're down at the half (albeit, by only 1) and your top player starts 2/11 from the floor, it's very easy to let the streak finally end. But to have others step up (especially Eli) and to play very solid team D in the second half, to win by 15 to keep the streak going, I think says a lot about this team, its focus, and where this team might be headed this season. Good signs, even when JWF was off.

Also, that zone sometimes allows too much, but one thing it can help when the other team is off from the perimeter is that opponents don't get to the line much. Tonight, that was the difference in the game. Largely because of that zone, UNCW was only 7/9 at the line, while Hofstra was 23/26.

Joe expects to see an "angry, angry team" on Saturday after Charleston lost again tonight at Northeastern (69-60). He said, "We better be ready for that."
Last edited by Wags on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'm going to post my lineup of the day at https://csnbbs.com/thread-867244.html and Pemberton is the only player on either team who made it. He made 3 threes, which tied his season-high and was his most since the third game. It's the first time this season he made 3 threes from 5 or fewer attempts. JWF decreased his average from 26.9 to 26.5. Pemberton went up from 14.1 to 14.6. Taylor increased his rebounds from 7.8 to 8.1.

Toews had 4 assists compared to averaging 7.9 before today. The rest of UNC Wilmington had 13 assists compared to averaging 7.7 before today. Toews had his lowest percentage of his team's assists in the last 16 games.

Edit: We had 19 combined fouls and turnovers and they had 30. That sum ties for our season best with the win hosting Cal State Fullerton. In our 440 games from 2005-2006 through before today, we had 5 games with fouls and turnovers having a sum of 19 or lower.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Who is this kerrywood dude and what planet is he from...hijacks this forum spitting b....t venom and the disappears...go back under your favorite rock and stay there...RIP BABY.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Today was probably good for our strength of schedule. Our out of conference opponents are 4-0 with wins by Manhattan, Marshall, Monmouth, and Siena. Cal State Fullerton trails 30-21, but even if they lose, it will be good to have our out of conference opponents go 4-1.

Edit: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =401083870 is the Associated Press recap titled "Pemeberton's 24 pts paces Hofstra over UNC Wilmington 87-72." I was going to say that they didn't make any mistakes, but the forum spell check pointed out that they put an extra letter in Pemberton.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/1/17/me ... -uncw.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Hofstra Bumps Winning Streak To 13 With Win Over UNCW."

https://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?id=8593&path=mbball is the box score. The attendance was 1,504, which lowered our average from 1,692 to 1,675. In the last 13 complete seasons, 2013-2014 was the only time we averaged under 1,675.
Last edited by EvanJ on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

kerrywoodwins20 wrote:Lol this is the worst defensive effort in organized basketball history

Kids should forfeit their scholarships, that’s how lethargic and humiliating this is.

#269!!!! There are only 353 teams.
You suck, they even easily covered for your dumb ass.

Good win, we looked real good in the second half, went right after Cacok once he got that 3rd foul, and UNCW collapsed after he picked up his 4th.

Good team scoring effort, we shot well from the perimeter, and we rebounded really well in the second half. JWF had a top 10 dunk too, that woke him up, and he closed out the game in style.

It went down pretty much how I thought it would, UNCW was able to hang for awhile, but we blew by them in the second half for the easy W.

6-0 and Charleston comes to town on the ropes, it's going to be a great game Saturday.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Pemberton passed two players including Mike Moore to move up to 28th in career points.

Edit: We made our last 17 free throws. I thought we would exceed our season-high of 25 made, but we didn't have many attempts at the end. Our season free throw percentage started at .793, went down to .790 after we made 6 of our first 9, and finished at .798. We passed North Dakota State for second. They fell to .793 after shooting free throws poorly last night. California Baptist was the team behind us before today, and they are in a span of 11 consecutive days off. Even if they played today, they would have needed to make 24 without a miss to pass us. Incarnate Word leads and increased from .807 to .809 yesterday.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

EvanJ wrote: Today was probably good for our strength of schedule. Our out of conference opponents are 4-0 with wins by Manhattan, Marshall, Monmouth, and Siena. Cal State Fullerton trails 30-21, but even if they lose, it will be good to have our out of conference opponents go 4-1.
I'm quoting myself to add that 9 was Cal State Fullerton's biggest deficit. They led by 1 at halftime. It was tied at 42 with 11:00 left before Cal State Fullerton went up 13 and won 69-61 to make our out of conference opponents go 5-0.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Pemberton stepped up and patiently lead HU team.
Couborn had nice unassuming balanced game - he always seems willing to wait for his spot.
Buie didn't shot well but had a good game otherwise.
JFW not a great shooting night (shot slightly better in the 2nd half) - 2nd half got to the line/few steals got him going a bit.
Taylor played a nice game - battled Cacok (made Cacok earn everything) - 3 blocks/2 assists/12 boards/flawless from the line and only 3 fouls and 1 turnover - a really nice game - love this guy and what he has added to this team.
Dwyer another "decent" night for this kid. We dont have to love'm and he certainly doesn't look great out there BUT he gives us minutes/didnt hurt us last night (can't catch a pass) - but had a basket, a nice pass, few boards and hit his foul shots.
Ray not much tonight but hit a few - that's OK
Truehart again many minutes - but in his few minutes was a great weak side shot block. I always thought this is where he could excel (defensively) - not as the big but as the off of the big (in this case was playing with Taylor) - ST got 3 1st half minutes.

Thought UNCW was a better team then the score and their record indicated - but also think with our squad we should beat UNCW 9 out of 10 times. UNCW intent was to stop JFW (box and one; pressed him, banged him) and let the rest of our team beat them...unlike what NE did against JFW - as opposed to last week when NE seemed to say "we'll let JFW get his points but stop everyone else". The good news is we won both games against 2 different strategies. Disappointing crowd tonight - I know the kids aren't back (that stinks) - the regulars were there, but was hoping we'd pickup more NEW fans that are seeing HU on the TV and in the press. Impressed with JFW - he his shot just wasn't falling - he looked frustrated BUT he didn't force anything - sometimes it is nice to see how a the good/the better handle adversity - JFW handled himself very well. EP I think he gets the least respect from the refs - nothing particular last night - but he gets banged and doesn't seem to get his fair share of calls. Someones holding a gun to my head - I need one guy to walk in the door and to save my life by hitting a foul shot - I'd be glad to see DB walk through that door. No cheerleaders, No dance team. Please turn the PA system down a few decibels.

A view from the top - Delaware (5-2 is a game and a half behind us) ... thought they would be the worst team in the league after seeing them play us....NE, CC, WM, UNCW and Drxl all with a game of each other...we still have 5 games to play against JMU, Twin and Elon (they combined have 4 wins.

Id fully expect a ready CofC team Saturday - Go Hofstra!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Polito wrote: Well, the first half was pretty poor, and JWF was awful by his standards - pretty disappointed in that because they were supposed to have prepped him for any and all defendes - this was a bit concerning as he has not played great of late...
Statistically JWF’s night looked bad, but he was just simply missing shots he normally hits. He was driving to the hoop at will, but the layups he’s been living on simply weren’t falling. I loved that he, Pemba and Buie were taking it right to Cacok the entire game. Were not settling for jumpers or 3s.

Pemba looked strong, determined and confident last night. That’s the player we need to keep teams away from locking JWF down. We clearly showed we are deeper than one main scorer in this game.

I thought Coburn had a great game. Scored 15 and grabbed some big boards. His energy was back.

I also thought Dwyer played well - JAM used him perfectly playing him to give Taylor a breather when Cacok was out. I thought he played pretty good D and hit some key FTs when game was close.

I was surprised to see Staff get some run in the first half in a close game. Wondering if it was to counter their bigger lineup. Thought he played ok on D but hate that he plays so far outside on O. He was never in position to grab offensive boards because he is camped out at the 3 point line. With his height, he should be trying to be active on the offensive glass a la Coburn.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Agree with all about Dwyer - the kid had a good night. We'll need some more of that from him. Coburn looked back to form. The debate over how to use ST is interesting. He's no banger but his height seems to be best used on the press. I think we should press more using him and Wormley for his height especially against teams with tall guards that shoot the three well like NE. The press can shorten the shot clock and we've been burned too often with last second threes. Since everyone's a coach on this board thought I'd offer my two cents.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Let's also give some credit here to the marketing/fan relations team or whoever came up with having the host at the arena. Definitely is helping engage the fans and the past game interview with Pemberton was a nice touch.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:Let's also give some credit here to the marketing/fan relations team or whoever came up with having the host at the arena. Definitely is helping engage the fans and the past game interview with Pemberton was a nice touch.
Yes, this is something which has become routine in NBA arenas over the past few years. Kudos to Hofstra for picking up on that and doing the same. Now if only those fans would go out and spread the word to others who don't realize the great value they're missing out on. While the Knicks are 10-34 and continue to sell out at MSG, Hofstra is on a 13-game winning streak, undefeated at home this year, and struggles every game to get above 1,500 in attendance. I don't get Newsday, but is Hofstra running ads there? If not, why? If so, does it mention that the winning streak and that JWF is among the nation's leading scorers?