MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by dutchalum01 »

Jojogunne wrote:I doubt it. Although we played Houston on Tuesday, Wednesday was the first day HS seniors could sign their NLIs. This had to be arranged well in advance of signing day.
ok. That makes sense. Probably made him feel a little more conviction signing that paper.

Now let’s get that win tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I didn't know where to post this for anyone who might be interested David Green remember him is now playing for Louisiana Tech and after 7 games is getting 14.4 minutes averaging 8 points a game. Those scoring numbers are a bit skewed since he had a 19 point game against someone. He is although shooting the three at 38%. Just an FYI.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Thought he had a chance to be a good player given the opportunity
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Thought he had a chance to be a good player given the opportunity
Yeah and he started so many games early in his freshman season for us. For me he looked like he was half asleep on the court. He just wasn't a high energy guy like Cramer but definitely at times had a good three point stroke. I just don't know if he would have been a fit here but we could use some big bodies.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Didn't want to start a new thread for this as I think it relates to recruiting but I was looking at our roster to see how many years of eligibility each player has remaining. Figured I would summarize it here; will go in reverse order of years left:

Cooks & Ray - Nothing left after this year. These will be the biggest pieces to replace. Hopefully Jaquan Carlos steps up to fill part of it.

Simmons - This was the surprise to me as it looks like he only played 3 years of basketball at Penn. So he would have another year after this. Obviously he could choose to just finish his career but before I looked into it I had just assumed this was his last year.

Iyiola & Silverio - One year of eligibility left after this year

Burgess & Estrada - Two years of eligibility left after this year

Cramer, Carlos & Dubar - Three years of eligibility left after this year

Everyone else will have three or four years left depending on if they redshirt this season or not.

Let me know if I have anything wrong here. But the future definitely looks bright.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread for this as I think it relates to recruiting but I was looking at our roster to see how many years of eligibility each player has remaining. Figured I would summarize it here; will go in reverse order of years left:

Cooks & Ray - Nothing left after this year. These will be the biggest pieces to replace. Hopefully Jaquan Carlos steps up to fill part of it.

Simmons - This was the surprise to me as it looks like he only played 3 years of basketball at Penn. So he would have another year after this. Obviously he could choose to just finish his career but before I looked into it I had just assumed this was his last year.

Iyiola & Silverio - One year of eligibility left after this year

Burgess & Estrada - Two years of eligibility left after this year

Cramer, Carlos & Dubar - Three years of eligibility left after this year

Everyone else will have three or four years left depending on if they redshirt this season or not.

Let me know if I have anything wrong here. But the future definitely looks bright.
Based on just what we know now losing Cooks and Ray is HUGE. I CANNOT EVEN WRAP MY HEAD AROUND IT and really don't even want to think about it. I don't know what we can get with the rest of the players we have on the roster EG Carlos, Bethea and Barrouk. What's the status of Burgess? Would he be looking to transfer? Is this kid Vasquez going to transfer back to HU? I believe he could be a starter here. We recruited the one kid from Philly Farmer. So I believe we need another transfer or two to fill the spots left by Ray and Cooks and their leaving will be very difficult to fill. Barrouk is a total unknown and pretty much Bethea is as well. What can Carlos give us assuming he starts to get some minutes? It could be to some here their worst nightmare with the possibility of Omar StarRTING NEXT YEAR. We know we need bigs but we have had problems getting good bigs for any length of time. It's too early in the season for this,lol!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

triplec2195 wrote:Based on just what we know now losing Cooks and Ray is HUGE. I CANNOT EVEN WRAP MY HEAD AROUND IT and really don't even want to think about it. I don't know what we can get with the rest of the players we have on the roster EG Carlos, Bethea and Barrouk. What's the status of Burgess? Would he be looking to transfer? Is this kid Vasquez going to transfer back to HU? I believe he could be a starter here. We recruited the one kid from Philly Farmer. So I believe we need another transfer or two to fill the spots left by Ray and Cooks and their leaving will be very difficult to fill. Barrouk is a total unknown and pretty much Bethea is as well. What can Carlos give us assuming he starts to get some minutes? It could be to some here their worst nightmare with the possibility of Omar StarRTING NEXT YEAR. We know we need bigs but we have had problems getting good bigs for any length of time. It's too early in the season for this,lol!
Two things-
1. Gotta keep in mind that in this new world, transfers will always be a big part of next years plans on both the incoming and outgoing side of things. We'll most likely always be able to go out and find a Cooks/Coburn type to help, but also have to expect some departures. Luckily, we've been great as a program at keeping the kids we need.
2. I think most mid-major teams would be thrilled to return Estrada, Cramer, Carlos and Dubar for another year, nonetheless more. Throwing in Simmons and Iyola gives us some decent size to grow on next year with a starting quality grad transfer. Health is of course always the key.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HU87 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Based on just what we know now losing Cooks and Ray is HUGE. I CANNOT EVEN WRAP MY HEAD AROUND IT and really don't even want to think about it. I don't know what we can get with the rest of the players we have on the roster EG Carlos, Bethea and Barrouk. What's the status of Burgess? Would he be looking to transfer? Is this kid Vasquez going to transfer back to HU? I believe he could be a starter here. We recruited the one kid from Philly Farmer. So I believe we need another transfer or two to fill the spots left by Ray and Cooks and their leaving will be very difficult to fill. Barrouk is a total unknown and pretty much Bethea is as well. What can Carlos give us assuming he starts to get some minutes? It could be to some here their worst nightmare with the possibility of Omar StarRTING NEXT YEAR. We know we need bigs but we have had problems getting good bigs for any length of time. It's too early in the season for this,lol!
Two things-
1. Gotta keep in mind that in this new world, transfers will always be a big part of next years plans on both the incoming and outgoing side of things. We'll most likely always be able to go out and find a Cooks/Coburn type to help, but also have to expect some departures. Luckily, we've been great as a program at keeping the kids we need.
2. I think most mid-major teams would be thrilled to return Estrada, Cramer, Carlos and Dubar for another year, nonetheless more. Throwing in Simmons and Iyola gives us some decent size to grow on next year with a starting quality grad transfer. Health is of course always the key.
1000%. Spot on. As they say, transfer portal takes kids from mid majors to power 5, but also moves power 5’s to mid major at an equal clip. If we can retain players, I’m extremely confident staff can load the boat with missing pieces.

ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

The way Ray has been playing, no great loss. Can't believe he is still nothing more than spot up shooter. His forays to the basket generally result in blocked or missed shot or a TO.
Polito

Post by Polito »

The biggest thing for me with Ray is I expect more true leadership, more command of the team - granted there's def something up with him right now, but even at his peak points last year he left me wanting more - but that's just me and my desire, that's something I value tremendously, and I really expect it from the Sr stars - not enough command IMO

But the boy does make big time shots, esp in crucial moments - I won't take that away from him!

I fully agree though, the new nature of the game is transfers - teams can be built in one season - stars can be had seemingly overnight - it's the way it is

Due to HU's recruiting strengths, they will (hopefully!) always be replacing top end talent - that's what it takes to be a champion - let's not rush this year away of course, but I am excited for every recruiting season - that's where all the potential and hope lies, fun times, and should be really fun with this staff!

As far as Green, one of those that had a lot of potential, esp at his size, but the young man could not shoot a lick while he was here - that's not going to fly in either the JM nor the Speedy offense

And because of that, I would not be surprised to see Burgess look at transfer options - I would not be surprised to see him stay either, because I think he and Speedy have a really strong relationship - but it may be a mutual thing for the betterment of his college career - we'll see...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:The way Ray has been playing, no great loss. Can't believe he is still nothing more than spot up shooter. His forays to the basket generally result in blocked or missed shot or a TO.
ZMAN3 I really can't believe u made that statement. This kid is such a great player and a pure shooter. He has ice in his veins and always wants the ball when the game is on the line. As bad as he has looked and his drives to the basket and wild shots have hurt us at times for sure. Right now he's coming back from an injury and it is taking time to get himself in sync but as the last game will show you he can rise to the occasion and hit 4 three's almost effortlessly. He has impressed me right from the first time he stepped onto the court and started for Pemberton in the first game of the year at the Mack. His very first shot a swish from beyond the arc. I remember Eli praising him saying this kid is some shooter can score 25 a game. If you want to talk about his leadership now that is something else he does not have a fiery personality and will always lead by example. I constantly see him talking to other players but always in a restrained way. So sorry but IMO and I know I'm not alone a big loss for us but like has been said a lot of players out there to get as transfers.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I know nothing of his leadership qualities (pro or con) and have not commented on it. Right now he is lost in the offense, putting up a lot of bad shots (from 3 as well as on wild drives) What bothers me most is he really can't create his own shot after all this time. That's why he's lost - the others can go to the basket effectively. He has hit many big shots in the past and was only referring to this year - maybe a little harsh as it's early and he is off an injury but he's forcing things trying to get going.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:I know nothing of his leadership qualities (pro or con) and have not commented on it. Right now he is lost in the offense, putting up a lot of bad shots (from 3 as well as on wild drives) What bothers me most is he really can't create his own shot after all this time. That's why he's lost - the others can go to the basket effectively. He has hit many big shots in the past and was only referring to this year - maybe a little harsh as it's early and he is off an injury but he's forcing things trying to get going.
I almost think you are referring to the Princeton game where he made terrible shots going to the basket but he wasn't alone in that game as Cooks was putting up bad shots driving to the basket also. As for this year he's scoring almost 14 points a game playing 34 minutes and hitting three's at 44%. Most players would be quite happy with those stats. He has at times though looked bad trying to score in the paint this is very true. He's going to come around and he doesn't have to carry this team like he did at times last year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Newsday just published an alphabetical list called the "Top 100 boys basketball players on Long Island for 2021-22 season." As I scrolled through, I saw our name associated with Lou Hutchinson, a 6-6 senior guard from LI Lutheran. Here's Newsday's description:

"The athletic guard with great size is generating interest from schools such as Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Towson and Hofstra, according to his coach. He’s going to take on a larger offensive role this season."

I wouldn't mind us recruiting some of Hutchinson's teammates:

James Johns, Long Island Lutheran, 6-6, G, Jr.
He is generating interest from schools such as UConn, Wake Forest and Fairfield, according to his coach. He’s an explosive player with the ability to finish at and above the rim.

Jaxon Koroll, Long Island Lutheran, 6-11, F, Sr.
Koroll is a transfer from Canada who has interest from Marist and Virginia Tech, according to his coach. He is expected to be a key presence down low.

Amdy Ndiaye, Long Island Lutheran, 6-10, F, Jr.
He is an imposing force in the middle of the lane for the Crusaders.

Jayden Reid, Long Island Lutheran, 5-11, G, Jr.
The Westbury native has interest from schools such as Virginia, Minnesota and Stony Brook, according to his coach. He shot 40% from beyond the arc and 85% from the foul line as a freshman.

Finley Sheridan, Long Island Lutheran, 6-9, F, Sr.
He averaged 17 points and eight assists as a versatile stretch-four for Calhoun as a sophomore before transferring to LuHi last year. He is generating interest from schools such as Columbia, Holy Cross and UMBC, according to his coach.

Finally, there's another player on the list with a great basketball name: Dave DeBusschere, a 5-11 guard for Chaminade. In case you're wondering, he's the grandson of the late Knicks' forward.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/high-sch ... 1.50447115
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I heard a coach sometime ago say that there's not a lot of D1 players coming out of L.I. Larry Brown maybe?? However when it comes to L.I. Lutheran when was the last time we successfully recruited a kid from that program. We offered Andre Curbelo but knew we had no chance to land him. He's making noise playing at Illinois now. I don't know if we ever had a player on our roster from L.I. Lutheran so they have some potentially good players but are they D1 players and can we sign any of them?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didn’t Tim Beckett go to LI Lutheran
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

triplec2195 wrote:I heard a coach sometime ago say that there's not a lot of D1 players coming out of L.I. Larry Brown maybe?? However when it comes to L.I. Lutheran when was the last time we successfully recruited a kid from that program. We offered Andre Curbelo but knew we had no chance to land him. He's making noise playing at Illinois now. I don't know if we ever had a player on our roster from L.I. Lutheran so they have some potentially good players but are they D1 players and can we sign any of them?
Jordan Allen
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Steve Brawley, a terrific guard, also played for us in 79-80. He attended both Malverne and LuHi, I believe.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes both Brawley and Jordan Allen. Good calls.

garyg

Post by garyg »

stuball888 wrote:Didn’t Tim Beckett go to LI Lutheran
Yes, Tim Beckett went to Lutheran