triplec2195

Re: Transfers and Other Player News

Post by triplec2195 »

Why isn’t the roster on gohofstra yet??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:Why isn’t the roster on gohofstra yet??
It's on flyingdutchmenfans, that should suffice Image

(Thanks Cards for adding Christian Tomasco, forgot he was for this year)
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Also Cramer is a freshman in regards to eligibility.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Glad to see Zion back.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Why isn’t the roster on gohofstra yet??
It's on flyingdutchmenfans, that should suffice Image

(Thanks Cards for adding Christian Tomasco, forgot he was for this year)
Yeah I get it Cactus but do like to look at all the background of these kids. I find that interesting and informative.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Here you go:

Hofstra Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Roster

Name Pos Height Weight Class Rating Hometown
Jalen Ray G 6-2 175 SR Hampton, VA
Caleb Burgess G 6-3 170 JR Winston-Salem
Kvonn Cramer F 6-6 205 RSSO Delaware
Darlinstone Dubar G-F 6-6 207 RSF North Carolina,Iowa St
Zach Cooks G 5-10 165 SR NJIT
Jacquan Carlos G 5-10 160 FR Brooklyn, NY
Griffin Barrouk F 6-5 185 FR Pennsylvania
Jarrod Simmons F 6-8 220 RSR Crescent, PA, Penn
Christian Tamasco F/C 6-9 190 FR New Jersey
Alejandro Vasquez G 6-3 200 RSF Queens, NY St Bona
Aaron Estrada G 6-4 207 RSJ Woodbury, NJ, Oregon
Abayomi lylola F 6-9 230 Arkansas, Nigeria
Zion Bethea G 6-3 205 SO S Orange, NJ, Immac Coception
Omar Silverio G 6-3 200 SR St. Ramond, Rhode Island,Dominican Republic

Total Scholarships 14
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks HUSID hopefully we give Carlos a few more inches on his profile. Are we practicing earlier then normal or is it just my imagination?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Back to the old schedule which allowed a number of practices during the summer...wish someone, or even a fly on the wall could give us some information/insights!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Teams are allowed only 13 scholarships for D1 MBB:

"NCAA Division 1 scholarships are hard to come by. Less than one percent of high school athletes will compete at this level. Each Division 1 men’s basketball program can award 13 full athletic scholarships. These scholarships, called headcount scholarships, cover all college costs, including tuition, housing, books, etc. After the 13 scholarships have been handed out, additional athletes can walk on to the team, but aren’t eligible for athletic aid."

https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball/scholarships
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I think you can carry extra this year with the covid eligibility changes, i.e. Ray's doesn't count towards the total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:I think you can carry extra this year with the covid eligibility changes, i.e. Ray's doesn't count towards the total.
Yes this is correct. Ray's scholarship doesn't count towards the 13. Same as if Coburn or True heart decided to stay. So theoretically we could have had 16 this year if all 3 stayed.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:Zion Bethea in today's pics so he is still here as well. Looks like this is the current roster, with last year not counting against eligibility:

Guards
Zach Cooks SR
Jalen Ray SR
Omar Silverio JR
Caleb Burgess SO
Aaron Estrada SO
Alejandro Vásquez SO
Darlinstone Dubar FR
Zion Bethea FR
Jaquan Carlos FR
Griffin Barrouk FR

Forwards
Jarrod Simmons SR
Abayomi Iyiola JR
K'Vonn Cramer SO
Tomasco FR
Thanks for this -

First - in the recently posted pics of HU BB practice - it was GREAT to see Coach JAM in one of the pictures - he looked GREAT - what a difference a year (or two) makes - welcome back JAM!

Roster - (* all comments are assuming nobody transferring out and/or injuries)

we are back to being In Guards We Trust - the pipeline, as I see it, is primed and full at the Guard position for seasons to come.
Cooks, Carlos and Burgess at the Point; deep athletic experienced - wonder if it'd make sense for Burgess to Redshirt this season
Off Guard/Small Forward - Ray, Dubar, Estrada, Vasquez, Silverio, Barrouk - proven, scorers, decent size - I love our potential depth here
I hope we rotate the backcourt personnel - aggressively, press, run, push, up tempo - maximize our depth - can easily see us frequently using a 4 guard system

Up front - we are lacking depth that we have in the back court
Cramer, Iyiola, Simmons, Tomasco - i assume Tomascoo is strong redshirt candidate (he was orginally planning on prepping after HS)
If the remaining free stay healthy and out of foul-trouble I am OK with these 3 - but thats a fine line - I would take Truehart, not using up a scholly, back in a minute in a season/roster like this, down the road with such a strong guard presences, one year transfers (like my personal favorite J Taylor-C-from Perdue) - would have a lot of appeal to plug in with this current/future backcourt (we potentially have a starting roster of Carlos/Dubar/Estrada/Cramer to plug in for the next 3 years)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just a few things here we should include Bethea in the guard conversation as much as I Know very little about him and he didn't show much the few minutes that he did play. Say or think what you want about Burgess but he's going to get minutes this year he has experience working for him and can dish the ball. His shooting improved as the year went on although I believe that Cooks starts all day here at the PG. I know we like to think of Carlos as a SUPERMAN but the reality of it is that he will have to make adjustments at this level and playing D could be his Achilles heal. As for the 4, Cramer and Dubar will share minutes here as both are developing their outside game but will help us rebounding and blocking shots. I don't think Dubar is a guard IMO he's similar to Cramer in his game except I don't know about his vertical leaping ability. We're thin at the 5 agreed but will get by here. I do believe that Simmons is a lot better player then his stats show if given the minutes and yes I believe that Tomasco does redshirt but could be a diamond in the rough. He appears to be a decent shooter beyond the ARC.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Barrouk is still recovering from a severe ankle injury (heavily taped in the photos). I wonder if he might redshirt?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Just a few things here we should include Bethea in the guard conversation as much as I Know very little about him and he didn't show much the few minutes that he did play. Say or think what you want about Burgess but he's going to get minutes this year he has experience working for him and can dish the ball. His shooting improved as the year went on although I believe that Cooks starts all day here at the PG. I know we like to think of Carlos as a SUPERMAN but the reality of it is that he will have to make adjustments at this level and playing D could be his Achilles heal. As for the 4, Cramer and Dubar will share minutes here as both are developing their outside game but will help us rebounding and blocking shots. I don't think Dubar is a guard IMO he's similar to Cramer in his game except I don't know about his vertical leaping ability. We're thin at the 5 agreed but will get by here. I do believe that Simmons is a lot better player then his stats show if given the minutes and yes I believe that Tomasco does redshirt but could be a diamond in the rough. He appears to be a decent shooter beyond the ARC.
I agree with you triple2195
I am a big fan of BURGESS - I just wonder if Cook takes away to many minutes and IF redshirting makes any sense - but I love his size and development - big fan of BURGESS
DUBAR - I dont know much about - assume he starts - what I know is probably inline with what you say less of a guard more of a forward (Pemberton-esque???)
TOMASCO - is certainly an project and a strong redshirt candidate
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

daHUPride wrote:First - in the recently posted pics of HU BB practice - it was GREAT to see Coach JAM in one of the pictures - he looked GREAT - what a difference a year (or two) makes - welcome back JAM!
I didn't see JAM at practice, but I saw Parotta. Where were you seeing the pics? I was looking on Instagram.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Just a few things here we should include Bethea in the guard conversation as much as I Know very little about him and he didn't show much the few minutes that he did play. Say or think what you want about Burgess but he's going to get minutes this year he has experience working for him and can dish the ball. His shooting improved as the year went on although I believe that Cooks starts all day here at the PG. I know we like to think of Carlos as a SUPERMAN but the reality of it is that he will have to make adjustments at this level and playing D could be his Achilles heal. As for the 4, Cramer and Dubar will share minutes here as both are developing their outside game but will help us rebounding and blocking shots. I don't think Dubar is a guard IMO he's similar to Cramer in his game except I don't know about his vertical leaping ability. We're thin at the 5 agreed but will get by here. I do believe that Simmons is a lot better player then his stats show if given the minutes and yes I believe that Tomasco does redshirt but could be a diamond in the rough. He appears to be a decent shooter beyond the ARC.
I agree with you triple2195
I am a big fan of BURGESS - I just wonder if Cook takes away to many minutes and IF redshirting makes any sense - but I love his size and development - big fan of BURGESS
DUBAR - I dont know much about - assume he starts - what I know is probably inline with what you say less of a guard more of a forward (Pemberton-esque???)
TOMASCO - is certainly an project and a strong redshirt candidate

Clearly hear what you r saying about Burgess but this is going to be some major competitive practicing with guys going at each other looking to earn themselves minutes. A lot of good players on this roster who have proven bodies of work. So daHUPRIDE you feel that Dubar could start over Cramer?? You have guys who are used to playing major minutes like Ray and Cooks and who should be playing major minutes. Cramer only played an average of 27 minutes partially due to Green starting in the beginning of the year but also because he got into foul trouble. I don't think that Dubar starts over Cramer but maybe picks up minutes at both the 3&4. Like you said what happens to Burgess 33 plus minutes clearly he won't be getting those kind of minutes. Both Tomasco and Barrouk probably will redshirt have to wait to see how it plays out. We should be getting a lot more contributions on this team from whoever comes off the bench not like last year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

cactus wrote:
daHUPride wrote:First - in the recently posted pics of HU BB practice - it was GREAT to see Coach JAM in one of the pictures - he looked GREAT - what a difference a year (or two) makes - welcome back JAM!
I didn't see JAM at practice, but I saw Parotta. Where were you seeing the pics? I was looking on Instagram.
Facebook.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:
cactus wrote:
Facebook.
Thanks - glad to see him out there.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I wonder whether Joe will take a laissez- faire approach here just offering advice if he is asked or will he be more this is what I think you should be doing philosophy? Probably the hands off approach I would imagine.